Cadets Classy Retreat

So, before you start to trash-talk corps x. Remember, the only rules are, there are no rules except A) Don't disrespect you, your corps, or anybody else and B) Do whatever your corps wants to do, just do it together. It's the drum corps equivalent of Miller Time ... Everybody in the corps has earned it.

Great post. Thanks for some much-needed perspective! :tongue:

Oh please, come down off the cross, someone needs the wood...

LOL, thanks Geoffrey! I've got to remember that as a comeback! :smile:

Edited by byline

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My opinions of the Cavaliers and Bluecoats up until retreat the other night was of the utmost respect. Now, whenever I see them, the first thing that pops into my head is going to be how they carry themselves around other corps. And I find that very unfortunate.

I agree with you 100%. While I appreciate Cavies going by PR to congratulate them, I thought it was RUDE and STUPID to be pulling their antics while the scores were being announced. I really didn't have a problem with them doing that stuff has they pulled into their retreat block, but once they started announcing scores it should have ended. They were still doing it when Phantom's winning score was announced.

As for Bluecoats playing on "America"...totally classless. I was sitting close enough to know that it WAS coming from the Bluecoats and I was very disappointed. They may have outscored SCV on the field that night, but in the CLASS and RESPECT score card they weren't even close...and it wasn't just a couple of them. Many in the corps were laughing at those that continued playing.

My annual donation will be going to another corps this year.

Thank you Cadets for your show of discipline and respect.

Edited by oldbandguy

<stuff snipped before this>

I don't know what Phantom did during retreat because I was on the other side of the field but I'm sure glad they won. of the three corps that had the same exact show concept, I'm sure they couldn't have carried themselves worse than the other two.

<stuff snipped after, too>

Without regard to the rest of your post, not sure I understand this part ...

Are you saying that because Samuri, Knockout, and Spartacus all contained fighting or the like that they are all the "same exact show concept?"

btw -- agree about the Cadets classy exit -- the announcer says that the field is for the champions and every year, the Cadets promptly comply. I, also, was disappointed in the multiple "individualities" in America, but no more so than I'm disappointed and annoyed at crowd members who feel it's appropriate to scream over soft/silent passages during performances just to get on the cd. Cut from the same cloth, imo ....

Still trying to figure out what the Scouts bass line was doing -- I'm assuming it was some sort of tribute or salute to Phantom, but I'd like some confirmation/details/history ....

Edited by Liam

btw -- agree about the Cadets classy exit -- the announcer says that the field is for the champions and every year, the Cadets promptly comply. I, also, was disappointed in the multiple "individualities" in America, but no more so than I'm disappointed and annoyed at crowd members who feel it's appropriate to scream over soft/silent passages during performances just to get on the cd. Cut from the same cloth, imo ....

Add to that the staff of various corps running up into the stands while their corps is performing, annoying those who are paid ticket holders with their constant jabbering and eardrum-shattering clapping at every little move their corps makes on the field. Show some respect, guys... the people you're pissing off are the ones who are likely supporting your corps and would really appreciate being able to watch the show without your antics. Most were at least courteous enough to exit in between corps performances, but there were some who decided that no other performances were important and were getting in and out of their seats while other corps were on the field.

Troops, please talk with your fans/family members about this as well. One older guy got up in the middle of Madison's performance at Quarterfinals, and was so rude that he got up in my face and clapped his hands loudly 1/2 inch from my nose when I asked him NICELY to stay in his seat during corps performances the next time he got up. He said that it didn't matter now because nobody was on the field, and when I told him he got up the first time when MY KID was on the field, CLAP! again, with the comment that they'd not be on the field again that night. In hindsight, I should have had the stadium personnel eject him. Thankfully he didn't return to the same seating area the following night.

And why should an audience take the Corps at retreat seriously if they and their Corps Directors apparently don't ?

You should take them seriously because of all the other amazing things that they do all summer, that's why. Don't get carried away.

I also would like to know WHEN in the 75 year history of this corps did this happen. UNBELIEVEABLE

Members of this corps have ALWAYS been a class act !!!!!!!!!!!

Agreed. As much as I disagree with Hopkins' policies, the Cadets have ALWAYS been one of the classiest corps on the field.

I think drum corps has lost some of the pageantry when they gave up on retreat and corps playing off. This mass band performance of God Bless America works for a baseball game but a drum corps show should end with a retreat where the corps each play off and then the winner plays an encore.

Oh please, come down off the cross, someone needs the wood...there was a time, when Cadets were very disrespectful to the "idea" of retreat, and public opinion forced them to stop.

All corps are all things and no one corps stands out, they are all human, all kids, the end of their season...oh, and Cavaliers werent "mocking" they were having fun with the friends they have in other corps. Its not the 70's anymore, corps are actually friendly, can you belive that ??

Geoffrey

Easy there Geoffrey...must I bring up 1983???

I agree with you 100%. While I appreciate Cavies going by PR to congratulate them, I thought it was RUDE and STUPID to be pulling their antics while the scores were being announced. I really didn't have a problem with them doing that stuff has they pulled into their retreat block, but once they started announcing scores it should have ended. They were still doing it when Phantom's winning score was announced.

From the videos I've seen, most of The Cavaliers were turned and clapping for Phantom Regiment's win. The rest were probably getting up from their decapitations after BD's score was announced (which I thought was pretty funny).

I think it is interesting to note that most corps wouldn't have been able to come down the field in a full retreat block mostly because we were all in straight lines next to each other. The screaming trumpets came from several corps and that is an issue that I think should be addressed. As musicians, regardless of any sort of poor arrangement, the job is to relive and recreate the emotion and the music that the composer wrote. It is classless and wrong to play something entirely different. Chord stacking is one thing. Jumping an octave is one thing. Playing a screaming high note in the middle of a tuba soli is simply rude and inappropriate. I hope that in the future this doesn't happen. As for my opinion on the cadets....its their deal. I personally would have hoped they watched the video, but it is unneccessary to bash them for doing what they do every year. Turn around and leave when it is time to go. They do it like professionals and I think that it is appropriate and fits their corps. The Cavaliers, by contrast are laid back. It neither suprises me nor offends me that they would tease another show. It fits their corps. I personally like a mixture of the two, but both corps did exactly what they do and I wouldn't fault either