Cadets Classy Retreat

Different corps have different policies for behavior in retreat.I think the only people that have the right to gripe about how a corps handles themselves at retreat are the staff and the alumni of the corps.Alumni of course reporting said behavior to the staff.

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with praise for the Cadets for "keeping it real" last night. To be fair, BAC, SCV and Madison all kept things pretty tight as well, but all had sections check out the video. (Which makes this whole thing one step closer to BOA by the way) The Scout bass drummers I thought were showing rspect to PR, but I guess other people thought otherwise.

I have been bothered by retreat behavior for a couple of years now and have posted here about it. last night was way out of hand, but thank you to Garfield for doing the right thing.

MIKE

Right, because if you're not standing at rigor mortis for the entire length of retreat, not even blinking, then you're not taking retreat seriously. :tongue:

Why don't we bring back uniform inspections while we're at it.

Right, because if you're not standing at rigor mortis for the entire length of retreat, not even blinking, then you're not taking retreat seriously. :tongue:

Why don't we bring back uniform inspections while we're at it.

Who DOESNT get their uniform inspected??? (I know you mean by judges, but most corps still do it themselves)

Full retreat at every show? Have you marched? Like really... it's nice for the fans but lets be honest... it's kinda a pain on the members. lol. just being honest.

Full retreat was fun. Yea you had to stand there for a while before the scores were announced, so what.

Each corps played themselves off the field in order from last to 1st place. Some played a signature Corps song, a song from their show or even a song from the winners show. In 85 at the Vagabonds Home show, Velvet Knights got bored and they broke into Peter Gunn and everyone else joined in. You can't tell me that's not fun stuff.

I also would like to know WHEN in the 75 year history of this corps did this happen. UNBELIEVEABLE

Members of this corps have ALWAYS been a class act !!!!!!!!!!!

The Cadets used a "freeform retreat" from 1989 to (I think) 1994. It was inspired by the free form drill moves in the Les Mis show. The horn line would freeze in a pose. The horn sergeant would instruct you to change poses after a few minutes. There were definitely some memorable ones, such as the guy who held up two contras for an entire pose.

I think they stopped it because it had stopped being novel and started to just look sloppy.

I don't think they intended it be disrespectful, but I remember discussing it with some people on RAMD at the time who took it that way.

The Cadets used a "freeform retreat" from 1989 to (I think) 1994. It was inspired by the free form drill moves in the Les Mis show. The horn line would freeze in a pose. The horn sergeant would instruct you to change poses after a few minutes. There were definitely some memorable ones, such as the guy who held up two contras for an entire pose.

I think they stopped it because it had stopped being novel and started to just look sloppy.

I don't think they intended it be disrespectful, but I remember discussing it with some people on RAMD at the time who took it that way.

I like this. I also generally respect it when corps do things as a unit, even if it means facing the screen (which is kinda bando), or being goofy. At least it shows pride and preparation. I generally dislike individual acts of stupidity. Not really a hard code to follow.

I give credit where credit is due but, this is DCI Finals retreat. It is not the f'ing military. This is not really that "important" of an event. The Cavaliers have always had a relaxed style regarding the way they do things - from walking on to the field to being somewhat relaxed at retreat. We shared some candy in 1992 - does that mean that we were wrong or disrespectful? Who's to say? You may think it is the worst kind of disrespect imaginable. I don't. I guess we both win this one.

If the staff of the drum corps has no issues, then why is this even a topic on DCP? All of these kids display class. Why does "everything" that they do have to be done the way "we used to do it" or "old school?" This is not "your" drum corps anymore - let the current staff and members determine their own retreat behavior. I guarantee that The Cavaliers were not "mocking" BD. The entire corps (and the CAC888 corps) applauded BD as they left the field on Friday night. The Cavaliers don't take many things about the activity as seriously as other corps do. Who really cares?

I guess those that are opposed to something different at retreat could leave the stadium before scores are announced. :tongue:

I just don't see why folks would waste time criticizing (or praising, for that matter) what a corps does at retreat. It isn't about the retreat, especially at Finals. It is about the end of a long, hard journey that some will never get to experience again during their lives. Leave it at that and give up trying to find fault with every little thing that kids do. They get enough of that in their regular lives. Drum Corps is not regular life.

Hell, I thought VK was ROTFLMAO funny when their DM's brought out folding chairs. Why can't we see more of that these days? Although, to be honest, I love the Troopers DM!!!! To each his (or her) own.

That crowbar doesn't mean that line took anything seriously at retreat. If anything, the total opposite.

That crowbar was the demise of many water jugs on Finals day.

Serious? Please. :tongue::smile:

It's all good. I really had nothing against the crowbar. We just happened to be next to the certain corps that had the crowbar for like a week straight at retreat and at some point in that time a "territorial dispute" occurred in which the crowbar was presented as more of a threat to us than to a water jug. But, like I said, it's all good... We brought our Pony of Power to retreat to protect us...