Cadets Classy Retreat

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When you ruin another corps show? Yes it's crap..... So take your "tradition" to the #### parking lot

Don't you just exude class?

:cool:

If the Blooo hype were a problem, I'm sure someone would have been spoken to on the previous TWO nights it was done and something would have been done about it.

Since you seem to be the only one with sand in your ######, I highly doubt it was as big of a problem as you're making it out to be.

Back to topic: If you haven't marched a retreat this century (how's that for making y'all feel old? :cool:), it's hard for you to understand what it's like. Retreat is a celebration. You get a feel for the personality of a corps through how they act in the line at retreat and on the field. That's part of the reason I marched Bluecoats after 2004, because of how CR was treated in the line-up and on the field by the Bluecoats one particular night in Columbus (when we broke 80 and Coats congratulated us immensely). Just because the Cavaliers are loose and poke a little fun doesn't make them any less classy. It shows personality just as does for Cadets with their stoic demeanor. I'm basing my decision for 09 partially off how I remember corps acting in retreat.

I'm barely going to touch the AOC issue. I believe it because that corps is so young, but when I marched in a young corps, we strived for people to actually take us seriously, not act immaturely and be so obvious with it. That's embarrassing. The fact that they have their pre-show hype isn't, but that they acted immaturely in that way definitely, definitely is.

Edited by corps_forever07

I'm just not understanding why standing completely still at retreat = class and vice versa. Who decided that - you?

To me, it shows respect for the traditions of the past and respect for one's competitors. For decades, it was part of drum corps etiquitte, and was a visible sign to those on the outside of the pride, self-respect and discipline gained through marching. You stood quietly while the scores were announced. You snapped to attention when your name was called. You marched in formation past the champion to salute their achievement, while still showing the world the integrity of your corps. In return, the champions would snap to attention to show your respect for your competitors.

Drum corps is one of the very few places you would see young people show that kind of dignity, and demeanor at retreat made a big impression on participants and observers alike.

Now it's little more than a bunch of kids screwing around. If I wanted to see that, I'd just hang out at the mall.

I was on the field behind the Cadets at retreat on Saturday night. I saw Cavies throwing Jolly Ranchers at the cadets, hitting them and their equipment. I saw behind the stadium before retreat, BlueCoats drummers slamming their fists on the Cadets snare drummers drums while the Cadets stood at attention. I saw a Bluecoats Snare Drummer smack his hand across the Cadets 4th bass drummers ### again while the Cadets were at attention. A Blue Coats bass drummer fell down as the corps were coming down the hill to get on the field because he was so drunk and needed two other bass drummers to help him get on the field, and to top it off, some of the Blue Coats bass drummers were throwing up on the field at retreat from being drunk. I was there, I saw it. When people are touching other corps members or equipment, or throwing things at them, it is crossing the line. I am just so happy that the Cadets maintained their composure even though they were being hit. I'm sure those corps knew the Cadets wouldn't retaliate, so it made it real easy to do the things they did. I'm also sure that this is part of the reason George removed the corps from the field so quickly, in addition to clearing the field for the Champion. It's a shame that some kids don't respect their corps enough to maintain their composure till the very end.

Don't you just exude class?

:cool:

If the Blooo hype were a problem, I'm sure someone would have been spoken to on the previous TWO nights it was done and something would have been done about it.

Since you seem to be the only one with sand in your ######, I highly doubt it was as big of a problem as you're making it out to be.

Alaina, I really hate to say this, but I was also very disturbed by the Bluecoats doing that while Blue Stars were on the field. It was very distracting. I'm all for the BLOOOO hype, but maybe they COULD have done it a little further away from the stadium.

Edited by sday88

I was on the field behind the Cadets at retreat on Saturday night. I saw Cavies throwing Jolly Ranchers at the cadets, hitting them and their equipment. I saw behind the stadium before retreat, BlueCoats drummers slamming their fists on the Cadets snare drummers drums while the Cadets stood at attention. I saw a Bluecoats Snare Drummer smack his hand across the Cadets 4th bass drummers ### again while the Cadets were at attention. A Blue Coats bass drummer fell down as the corps were coming down the hill to get on the field because he was so drunk and needed two other bass drummers to help him get on the field, and to top it off, some of the Blue Coats bass drummers were throwing up on the field at retreat from being drunk. I was there, I saw it. When people are touching other corps members or equipment, or throwing things at them, it is crossing the line. I am just so happy that the Cadets maintained their composure even though they were being hit. I'm sure those corps knew the Cadets wouldn't retaliate, so it made it real easy to do the things they did. I'm also sure that this is part of the reason George removed the corps from the field so quickly, in addition to clearing the field for the Champion. It's a shame that some kids don't respect their corps enough to maintain their composure till the very end.

That was very disturbing to read. I'm a little embarrassed to be an alumni. I know in '88 our basses and BD's snares (?) banged drums together in the tunnel coming onto retreat, but it was mutual (Phil knows the story).

If true, that is very sad. If anyone from the Bluecoats management reads this, they should investigate and make sure itnever happens again. There is fun and there is stupid, this falls into the second category.

sucks to read that, but just one thing i wanted to mention......there were a few (three, i think? maybe two) cadets drummers who had marched bluecoats a few years ago. one of the tenors (one of the ex-bluecoats) had a brother who was in bluecoats trumpet line for 5 years. in addition to that, a bunch of them march together in indoor lines. that doesn't make it right, but might explain some of what you viewed as antagonism.

i feel like if there were several drummers throwing up on the field after retreat, someone would have mentioned it before right now. seriously. were you the only person in the stadium who saw it? plus, i've seen someone throw up on the field during retreat before (pre-05), and they weren't drunk. just saying. i've also seen two people pass out during retreat; i know at least one had been locking their knees.

i have heard some things about their finals retreat etiquette this year from a reliable source that i was very disappointed to learn about. i know it was a young hornline but that doesn't make some of the stuff i heard (specifically along the lines of reacting to scores, something i've always felt strongly about for whatever reason) acceptable. when i was in the corps, i never noticed it being a visible or widespread problem. ehh. i wasn't there so my sentiments on the matter are pretty reserved.

bluecoats is one word by the way.

I don't know quite what to think of all that. If it's true, embarrassing. But how can it be? Unfortunately, I believe the hitting because it can easily go unnoticed, but anyone that has ever even seen Finals retreat knows that the staff stands behind the back sideline (VERY close to the drumline). If there was vomiting going on, wouldn't the staff step in? I guess my question for you, boatboy, is did they? That's not an easy thing to cover up and since you seemed to be the only one so preoccupied with the situation, I hope you noticed because I would truly like to know.

Again, I'm not saying it didn't happen, and I will probably ask some people, but with the staff being right there and it having gone ten pages without being mentioned, I'm not sure. I guess I'd like for it not to be true, so I'm trying to put some logic in there. I'm not saying you're full of #### but I really, really don't want that to be true.