Cadets Classy Retreat

I dunno y'all, in the video that I've seen, it looks like as soon as BD was announced 2nd place, members of the Cavaliers started mocking the tightrope thing, which seemed kind of lame.

Nope, the Cavis had guys walking through the ranks and "slitting" guys' throats. I loved it, and the timing.

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen every finals retreat live since 2001, and I've always appreciated the differences in philosophies among the corps. Some choose to maintain their demeanor as if they were performing (ala Cadets, Phantom Regiment), and some choose to treat the affair more as a celebration. However, all corps upheld a degree of respect for each other (for the most part, save some allegations of aggressive candy throwing). :cool:

This year's retreat was different. Certain corps exhibited rude and disrespectful behavior towards other corps, making direct verbal assaults and physical invasions that I and hopefully most others would consider unacceptable.

While I'm sure that the situation will be dealt with by the corps directors, that doesn't change the fact that I felt downright embarrassed at times to be on that field (and, of course, proud to be wearing the uniform I was wearing).

From my eyes, it was a sad and disappointing moment for the activity.

Yeah, and how about those blatant wrong notes during "America" ? From your spot, could you tell who it was? Was it BD like everyone seems to think?

Yeah, and how about those blatant wrong notes during "America" ? From your spot, could you tell who it was? Was it BD like everyone seems to think?

From where I was during America, it seemed as though the Devils had some sops start up an ocatve and try to stay there throughout. Sops taking it up is not uncommon at the end of the piece, but starting out there was a bit ...well. I was on side one but the mess at the end seemed to come from the Bluecoats and Blue Knights area on side two.

MIKE

So corps are allowed to just act like ###### bags and break rank? Sorry, but if you break rank you should get a baritone bell in the nose. Just sayin

well......yeah, i guess so, considering it's not illegal or anything. its not like i agree with it; i dont think the kid should have broken the cadets rank either. i took things like that relatively seriously while i was marching, perhaps because i started in 2003 and experienced 'real' retreats. i just posted a paragraph referencing something that happened.

this isn't 1974, you're not allowed to hit people in the face with metal horns because they crossed over a white line signifying metaphorical territory. i get what you're going for, but that's not culturally acceptable anymore in drum corps.

really though, if someone is going to dick around during retreat block, i'd hope they'd at least keep it within their own 10 yards.

By "fake fainting," do you mean when the corps members would get "decapitated" by an officer and fall down? From the videos I've seen, there were Cavaliers all over the ground at one point (mainly after BD's score was announced). I'm not excusing what the guy did. I'm just curious if that's what you mean. He shouldn't have broken ranks like that, and I'm not surprised that Hopkins took care of it. I know Bruno probably wasn't happy about that.

no, i mean the kid 'fake fainted' into the cadets horn block. i wasn't there but a cadet who was part of that block told me about it.

it doesn't make sense to interrogate other people to find out WHICH corps it was playing wrong notes during the finale. it was MOST of the corps there. like.....more than 6. probably around 8. even if/when you find out which corps it is, you're still not going to find out WHO it was, which is a lot more important. even then, it's basically still meaningless information at that point. conduct whatever investigations into the matter you'd like, but it's not going to change what happened, which will probably continue happening until the entire system eventually gets overhauled.

no, i mean the kid 'fake fainted' into the cadets horn block. i wasn't there but a cadet who was part of that block told me about it.

Okay. I thought it might have been mistaken for that. Nevermind. :cool:

it doesn't make sense to interrogate other people to find out WHICH corps it was playing wrong notes during the finale. it was MOST of the corps there. like.....more than 6. probably around 8. even if/when you find out which corps it is, you're still not going to find out WHO it was, which is a lot more important. even then, it's basically still meaningless information at that point. conduct whatever investigations into the matter you'd like, but it's not going to change what happened, which will probably continue happening until the entire system eventually gets overhauled.

You make an excellent point. I have stewed about it for two days now and don't feel any better about it. Let's get down to serious DCP talk like: "Who had the best concert bass drum this year."

MIKE

I've never been a big fan of Hoppy, but there's one thing I will say in support of the Cadets. They are very well diciplined. I recall seeing them at retreat a couple years ago. One of their DM's called them to attention or parade rest ( I forget which) and that corps SNAPPED! I loved it! :cool:

Okay ... So. There are a bunch of ways of handling a retreat

1) Stand at attention/parade rest. React to nothing, including your own victory, until you are dismissed at the busses (aka "old school")

2) Be relaxed, enjoying the last time you are likely to stand together with your corps-mates as this particular corps, on a field. Go nuts when your corps wins, doing things like PDA (aka personal displays of affection, including, but not limited to, hugging, kissing, groping, crying, etc.) (aka "new school")

The "new school" approach was first seen displayed by the Blue Devils. In 1976 they exploded when they one their first title with one of the all-time great, game-changing, shows ever to hit a football field. All you could see was a mass of white plumes climbing towards the sky, and a lot of very happy Blue Devils living the moment and sharing the love.

There was another time where Cadets would go out on the field and enact living sculptures, freezing into various tableau on the field and re-arranging every so often. Some folks thought that that was, uhm, un-orthodox. But it was THEIR thing, so fine.

In 1978, when the Santa Clara Vanguard won finals, the Bridgemen all walked over to shake hands and offer our congratulations to the Vanguard, who we all kind of dug as being cooler than hell but in a totally different way from us.

Any way you do it ... As long as your whole corps does it that way, and you're not antagonizing anyone, it's all good.

Last night, when the corps were asked to leave the field (and I do like when corps all played off the field to the champion except that retreat went on until after midnight), I saw the Cavaliers peel off single-file and walk up, and around, Phantom, exchanging hand-shakes and other PDA with the members. Class. Total class. Not saying everyone has to do it though ... It's what was right for the Cavies.

Cadets, for example, booked off the field before anyone could tell they were gone ... They obviously wanted to chill by themselves. Cool and the gang. Nobody begrudged them this ... It's their thing.

So, before you start to trash-talk corps x. Remember, the only rules are, there are no rules except A) Don't disrespect you, your corps, or anybody else and B) Do whatever your corps wants to do, just do it together. It's the drum corps equivalent of Miller Time ... Everybody in the corps has earned it.

Good post! I totally agree!

You haven't marched, you don't know some of the horrible things that drum corps people do on tour. The worst part is, they think it's okay. It isn't.

There's an actual, qualitative difference between disapproving of a behavior and doing your best to make sure such behavior is dealt with, and being a tattle-tale.

There's an actual, qualitative difference between disapproving of a behavior and doing your best to make sure such behavior is dealt with, and being a tattle-tale.

Pssssssssssssssst. I think he got the point. :cool: