Cadets Classy Retreat

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They did know better... when there was daily retreat interaction with other corps.

I have to think that there is pre-show interaction of some type, though, no?

Members aren't taught not to break ranks? Members aren't taught not to fool with other corps' equipment? Members aren't taught to just respect other people in general?

I know where you're coming from, but some of this has to be just plain everyday common sense, retreat or not. Or maybe it's not common anymore? :smile: It would explain a lot of what I see occurring in society in general......

From an artistic perspective, that Cavies in Cadets block picture is amazing, it really tells the story of 2 corps at retreat

A lot of goofy things have gone down in retreat but this year, it did go too far. I saw/heard a few things that have yet to even be commented upon – that I shall not mention here. Generally, I think it’s best to deal with this stuff in-house and not on a public forum but in this case, much of the public witnessed it and they need to be addressed not dismissed. I too fault the staffs for not maintaining discipline or teaching the kids better, and I’m disappointed in the way the way some of the staff’s have addressed this. I bet next year it will be much different, even from those corps whose staff claim nothing happened this year.

Some of this stuff just boggles my mind though. I was taught to respect myself and my uniform I can’t even conceive pulling these stunts in uniform, my corps mates would never have allowed it yet alone our staff.

where is the photo, I can't seem to find it.

It's been copied into many posts as people reply to the person who initially placed it in a post...the url of whare it is stored is...(though I don't know if that will help you)

Here

Can you see it from the link?

Some of this stuff just boggles my mind though. I was taught to respect myself and my uniform I can’t even conceive pulling these stunts in uniform, my corps mates would never have allowed it yet alone our staff.

That is the part that boggles my mind as well more than anything. I know in my era (ugh! for saying that!) we were not even allowed in the stands in uniform unless we had on a schmock (that's how we pronounced the word for whatever reason :smile: )...Aunt Nellie would have kicked our butts if she actually saw us laying down in (her) uniform on the field! :smile:

To be honest, this is somewhat embarrassing. I've read the same things y'all have and I'm just in shock that it would go this far. I know it's "just retreat" as some would say and I already even commented on this same thread poking fun at the subject... but if you're falling over into the Cadets block, and on the feet of one of their members... that's just wrong.

I believe it was a mistake... maybe they didn't mean to do this to that extreme but come on guys... that's ridiculous.

I am somewhat ashamed of this incident. I think it's great that everyone has their own etiquette at retreat and does what they want to sometimes, but I agree that it crosses the line (no pun intended) when it goes as far as physically interfering with another corps' block. Some of them probably all saw this and laughed (like I did at first) but if it were a momentary thing... maybe it could slide. But lying there until George Hopkins had to come over and say or do whatever is inexcusable. It very well may have been this individual's bad judgment and people around him (in the cavaliers) probably tried to get him to move, but he chose to ignore everyone? I don't know. Kids are kids, ya know. But this really shouldn't ever happen.

This articulates how I feel about the photo, as well. I didn't find anything particularly offensive about the way the Cavaliers were playing around during retreat. (Keep in mind, I can only speak for what I personally saw from the stands). What bothers me about the photo is that it is evidence that the goofing around was taken too far. It's a problem of degree. Do what you want in your own block, but when you're falling down into another corps' block you're crossing the line, literally and figuratively. If George Hopkins, or any other corps director has to personally come up and say something to you, you probably should have gotten up a long time ago.

I never marched corps, I only marched BOA and obviously the etiquette and the antics of retreat is barely comparable. I'm speaking on this issue strictly as a fan, and if I can feel this way I'm guessing there are many other fans out there that would feel the same way, seeing that. For that reason I think it would be wise for DCI and the individual corps to address this.

If George tore this kid up and down, it was surely deserved. If he was clever, he would have handed the guy audition details and tell him there is a process to become a Cadet that doesn't involve laying in their retreat block wearing a Cavaliers uniform.

You, sir, receive a gold star. :smile:

I say they should all be stoned. Let he who has never been guilty of a lapse in judgement or associated with an organization in which an individual has displayed thoughtless behavior cast the first stone.

Seriously, the incidents reported here are disappointing, and they should be dealt with sternly, but privately. It does not serve DCI well to continually re-hash them just so you can use an ostensible respect for class as an excuse to put other organizations down in a translucently classless way. I would imagine they will be taken very seriously by the staff of the organizations involved because no one is hurt more than those organizations themselves.

In 13 years of championships I have seen occasional lapses in judgement by members of every corps in existence, but I have also seen classy behavior and amazing examples of character by every corps, and I continue to believe that they are all generally very classy organizations with very good people. This is because I understand that people are individuals, and because I am not consumed with a hateful desire to demonize any particular corps. I highly recommend this path for others.

Beautiful post and something everyone needs to keep in mind. All I see it now is poeple trying to create a witch-hunt to make certain corps look bad (no better or higher road than the alleged behavior that took place Saturday night).

All I see it now is poeple trying to create a witch-hunt to make certain corps look bad (no better or higher road than the alleged behavior that took place Saturday night).

Nah, I'm willing to bet that its the corps thats doing that all by itself, no other comments and views needed.

Good job Cavaliers

Geoffrey

I was taught to respect myself and my uniform I can’t even conceive pulling these stunts in uniform, my corps mates would never have allowed it yet alone our staff.

I agree 100% but I marched way back in time before Jerry Springer.

It's just a mindset that I don't understand and have come to the point in life that I realize it's no longer my world, but the world of the next generation.

I'm one of the people that bash Hoppy all the time but I must say that he handled this much better than I could or would have.

I still say it all started going down the drain with Dr, Spock or whomever it was that came up with "time out" instead of a smack across the backside of a childs butt.