Cadets Classy Retreat

I'm sorry. I looked through the whole thread and couldn't find it. Can anyone show me a link to Mr. Gibb's response to BD's retreat?

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree 100% but I marched way back in time before Jerry Springer.

It's just a mindset that I don't understand and have come to the point in life that I realize it's no longer my world, but the world of the next generation.

I'm one of the people that bash Hoppy all the time but I must say that he handled this much better than I could or would have.

I still say it all started going down the drain with Dr, Spock or whomever it was that came up with "time out" instead of a smack across the backside of a childs butt.

amen! this "me me me" mentality of children today is outrageous. this "only say positive things to children" will only set them up for having the rug pulled out from beneath them later in life and not having a clue how to cope. booooooooooooooo on psychology.

i'm glad that there are still a few places to teach where the good ol' thwack of a paddle can echo down the hallways. talk about psychological conditioning!

Edited by chaos001

Well, there are still some corps that handle themselves with class and dignity.

The thing about this is that I'm not even really bothered by the fact that these corps are violating a standard that I've always considered important or whatnot. It just seems funny to me that these corps that hold themselves to such strict standards of excellence in performance would allow themselves to look so amateur, immature, and (quite frankly) bando when they're not in performance mode. It just looks unprofessional, silly, and stupid, and is the kind of thing I would expect from a bunch of over-hyped marching band members after finishing their championship performance.

The thing about this is that I'm not even really bothered by the fact that these corps are violating a standard that I've always considered important or whatnot. It just seems funny to me that these corps that hold themselves to such strict standards of excellence in performance would allow themselves to look so amateur, immature, and (quite frankly) bando when they're not in performance mode. It just looks unprofessional, silly, and stupid, and is the kind of thing I would expect from a bunch of over-hyped marching band members after finishing their championship performance.

EXACTLY!!! I stated a similar sentiment a few pages back regarding the butchering of ATB, which I found even more distasteful than any of this other stuff.

It just looks unprofessional, silly, and stupid, and is the kind of thing I would expect from a bunch of over-hyped marching band members after finishing their championship performance.

I thought THAT was what drum corps of today was supposed to be. Summer bando holiday. A touring band camp, if you will. At least that is the spin doctoring that has been put on all of the rules changes over the last several years.

If that is truly the case, then it is even more disappointing. Even back in 1993, you knew not to get into the block of other corps. When one of our members threw something into Boston's block at DCI Mid-America that summer, I thought a brawl between the corps was about to start. I can't imagine this kind of thing was tolerated more in the old days of drum corps.

Wow, I don't know their reputation today, but back in the '80s you didn't so much as look sideways at Boston without taking your life in your hands.

While at 27th in '85 or '86, we were in a parade with Boston. Some drunken spectators started spraying silly string at Boston's guard members. Needless to say, that wasn't looked at too favorably and a brawl ensued.

That night, Boston went on with the drum major's nose broken, a contra player's jaw wired up, many dented horns and lots of blood on their uniforms.

You just don't mess with Boston.

amen! this "me me me" mentality of children today is outrageous. this "only say positive things to children" will only set them up for having the rug pulled out from beneath them later in life and not having a clue how to cope. booooooooooooooo on psychology.

i'm glad that there are still a few places to teach where the good ol' thwack of a paddle can echo down the hallways. talk about psychological conditioning!

Right -- this issue of retreat being "for the kids" is utter nonsense in my book. I mean, if members are allowed to fool around during retreat and during the playing of ATB because the moment is for them, then why can't they fool around during their last performance of the year. Heck, Madison knew they were coming in 12th no matter what they did Saturday night, so why not let the members purposely frack notes and play other songs during the performance and break ranks and do whatever drill they want? It's for them, right, and they're just having fun and they've worked so hard all summer so they deserve to blow off some steam. Scouts would never do that, of course, and any corps that did would catch holy hell from us and rightly so.

No, the show ends when the ticket buying public leaves and the stadium lights are turned off. Not before. If part of your show is to have a free-form retreat and/or keep up your role-playing, that's perfectly fine with me. But please allow the other corps to continue with their "performance" how they choose. You would never interrupt or interfere with another corps competitive performance so why is it okay to do it during retreat? And when you face the audience and perform America the Beautiful -- that's for the audience, not for you.

Edited by Liam

If that is truly the case, then it is even more disappointing. Even back in 1993, you knew not to get into the block of other corps. When one of our members threw something into Boston's block at DCI Mid-America that summer, I thought a brawl between the corps was about to start. I can't imagine this kind of thing was tolerated more in the old days of drum corps.

I think you may have misunderstood what I said...or at least meant...if the Cavies guy had fallen inside their own block, this picture would not have been out there and the Cavies-guy-falling-into-the-Cadets-space part of this thread would not have happened.

That's all...there is plenty of other 'stuff' in the thread that would have been posted anyway. :smile:

I don't see it as even being 'bando'..most bands I am familiar with teach their students to act with respect at all times, esp in uniform...and when interacting with other bands in or out of uniform.

Well I admit that I don't hit any of the kids ( and I teach K-12 ) other than a light swat to the back of a high school kid I catch doing something mean to another kid or something really stupid, but I've managed to do some other things than "time out" to get my points across. Picking the 10 best behaved kids in 1st grade each week to let play on drums gets pretty intense. Then only if the hold the sticks correctly etc. progressivly getting harder each week. I show them once and if they were not paying attention it might be weeks before they get a chance again. Kids cry if they don't get to come to music. It was pretty hard at first but once I started seeing the long term results, the crying doesn't bother me. I just talk with them quietly and tell them I hoped they learned that their behavior will change. It's amazing how many kids expect all adults to give in to them.