You couldn't ask for a better night for a drum corps show. The weather was suitably cool-in the 70s and Dietz Stadium was packed with drum corps fans and a fine group of performing organizations. Before the show, a representative of the Children's Home of Kingston explained its late-19th century roots, and mission. We were all given invitations to visit the organization, as the show's proceeds and raffle benefited the home. That was really cool.

As the show unfolded it was clear that the spread between the three larger corps was going to be relatively small. Hurcs (guard), Cabs (perc) and Empire (brass) all have one really outstanding section, so the battle seemed to be who was the strongest/weakest in what area. Please note, all numbers regarding a corp's/section's size listed below are only estimates. But since numbers interest me, I thought I'd estimate.

20th Century Limited (exhibition)

18 Brass, 5 snares, 2 tenors, 5 bds, 2plates, 5hg and 1dm

This small parade corps entered the field to begin the evening and formed a concert arc with the battery behind. They played a number of brief arrangements of patriotic favorites. This little corps played quite well. The percussion was very tight and gave the signs of some very good instruction. They also played a rockin cadence on the way out that had the audience clapping along. The brass section played their quality arrangements to good effect. The honor guard also made an effective color presentation. All-in-all, if you added a color guard, 20th Century Limited could successfully compete in DCA's Class A. They enjoyed a well-earned standing ovation from the crowd.

Competition

White Sabers

19 brass, 3 snares, 2 tenors, 5 bds, 10? guard, 9 pit, 3 dm

The White Sabres have made major improvements since last season. Playing the music of Robert Smith, a nice trumpet solo in the introduction got things started on a great note. The pit also was very effective in the intro and opening of the second number. Fine solos in the jazzy section of the second number also were telling. The percussion section has made major strides over last year, turning in an effective performance. On the other hand, there were some ensemble phasing problems betwen brass and percussion. Both sections seemed to struggle with various sections of the book. Still, this year's White Sabers have made much improvement and have a fine nucleus. Good job White Sabers!

Fusion Core

25 brass, 5snares, 4bds, 6 pit, 2dm, 11 guard.

Since I saw Fusion earlier in the season, they have made major improvements in their show. The bass drums, in particular, made their impact in tonight's show and have added to the quality of the unit's sound. I particularly like the cool opening statement with the snares playing a one-handed pattern with a lot of other neat pit/percussive things happening. Another cool section is when the snares enter the pit and a number of differernt percussive tones create a very unique sound. (Fusion's percussion section should be happy to know the 10 year old boy sitting next to me was drumming along to their beats-it was really cute) While Fusion's percussion continues to develop at a rapid rate, their brass section really drives the corps/core and they perform their charts quite well. While they are not the loudest 25 horns in the land, they seem to thrive on a sort of breezy finese-which kind of gives them a cool identity. The small guard did some nice work with the silks. Fusion seems to me pretty near where Sun was last year, and that bodes well for them in Class A. The crowd thought so too-standing O for Fusion.

Hurricanes

45ish brass, 9 snares, 4 tenors, 5bd, 10 pit, 25 guard, 8 hg, 3dm

Dramatic trumpet to the West calls the corps to the competition field and their journey westward. This journey is led by an amazing guard. I can remember just a few years ago, really noticing the Hurricanes guard during the Jesus Christ Show. I thought they were of championship quality then, and they have only improved in the intervening years. I generally watch mostly percussion, but the Hurcs guard is so good, I find myself drawn to their antics. Constant equipment work, changes, and excellent execution all were on display by the Hurcs guard. Speaking of percussion, boy, the battery is playing with big time chops and skill. The have several exposed sections that compare nicely to Bucs. Awesome. The drill is really cool giving the sense of the epic journey of the and some really cute moments such as in the 'hoedown' section. Big time brass sound and fine trumpet soloist work... The Hurricanes looked very clean, sounded strong and again brought the crowd to their feet.

Empire Statesmen

50ish brass, 9 snares, 3 tenros, 5bds, 21 guard, 3dm

The drill has been cleaned. Since the Grand Prix, the Statesmen's drill has been much improved and the brass has caught fire. Empire's brass was the loudest of the night (until Cab's Alumni-see below). Playing a lot of familiar music, the audience clapped along. Great soloists and screamers balanced by nice work in the pit playing a whole heck of a lot of accurate notes-especially in the second number. Empire's battery was it's usual tightness with the nine snares leading the way. The guard's equipment work seems a bit understated compared to the Hurcs, but the dancing girl in the red dress was effective, as was the closer with the smoke and American flag. Also the posters indicating the music selections being played are a nice touch. Standin O for Empire.

Hawthorne Caballeros

40ish brass, 9snares, 4 tenors, 5bds, 14 pit, 24 guard, 2dm

Playing some familiar music from Chick Corea and ending with a more traditionally Spanish (rather than Jazzy) version of Maleguena, Cabs also showed that they were in it to win it. Led by the always effective battery who will be the main challenger's to Bucs percussion dominance at Rochester. Cabs battery plays a lot of notes, but always musically and with very clear articulation. The pit also nicely helps to create moods evocative of the Spanish themes the corps seeks to convey. Brass has some cool sections with the trumpets playing some tight runs-at least to my ears. The guard seems very comparable to Empires as not quite being as extroverted as Hurcs or Bush. I think the show perhaps could use a bit more oomph in that regard to put it over the top. The field is so close this year.... Cabs got a well-deserved standing O.

Bushwackers

28 brass, 6 snares, 3 tenors, 5bd, 1dm, 6 pit 32 guard

With a brass section only a little bigger than Fusion's Bush seems much larger on the field. Why? They have a 32 member guard! Not only is Bush's guard big, it is really, really good. Their style is very muscular this year reminding me of Madisen back in the day. A lot of effective equipment work and field coverage made Bush's guard a standout. Bush's percussion section played with more confidence than some of the larger lines they've fielded in the recent past. The pit also nicely complimented the music (who knows a conga would work so well in gypsy music-but it did!) Their show is a cool take on Gypsy music and it certainly has a distinctive sound. The brass parts seem pretty syncopated and difficult and the brass had some evident struggles with the charts. But overall, the show is very entertaining and unique. The crowd appreciated the show and also rewarded Bush with a vigorous standing ovation.

Cabs Alumni

60ish brass, 6 snares, 7bds, a million (13?)percussionists, 12 silks, 6 rifles, 3dms

No disrespect to the competition corps, but Cabs Alumni stole the night. Featuring a WALL OF SOUND brass section and that crazy, vintage Latin boogie making percussion section, amazing soloists, campy drum major, and a small but effective guard, the Cabs Alumni rocked the house down. Entering the field in dramatic fashion-they looked like an invading army, the corps settled into some old school charts and drill. The audience was thrilled by the soloists, vintage drum-to-drum solo and I even saw folks dancing about during the Latin boogie cadence that began the retreat. Cabs Alumni was the perfect conclusion to a wonderful night of DCA competition.

Thanks to all the performers and the Children's Home of Kingston NY!!!!

Edited by pearlsnaredrummer77

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great review....... thanks!

Fran

Thank You!!!!!

You don't know how much your kind words mean to a bunch of really nice, hard-working people!!

The responce from the officials and crowd were also noted and greaty appreciated by the whole corps.

Tom MacDonald

(unofficially) for 20th Century Limited

Edited by brassomaniac

hey,

What was it with the Booing when they read Empire's score? Would it be correct to assume they were booing because they expected them to beat Hurricanes?

I am not trying to start a huge debate or bru-ha. Just want to see if someone can clarify.

Thank you

You couldn't ask for a better night for a drum corps show. The weather was suitably cool-in the 70s and Dietz Stadium was packed with drum corps fans and a fine group of performing organizations. Before the show, a representative of the Children's Home of Kingston explained its late-19th century roots, and mission. We were all given invitations to visit the organization, as the show's proceeds and raffle benefited the home. That was really cool.

As the show unfolded it was clear that the spread between the three larger corps was going to be relatively small. Hurcs (guard), Cabs (perc) and Empire (brass) all have one really outstanding section, so the battle seemed to be who was the strongest/weakest in what area. Please note, all numbers regarding a corp's/section's size listed below are only estimates. But since numbers interest me, I thought I'd estimate.

20th Century Limited (exhibition)

18 Brass, 5 snares, 2 tenors, 5 bds, 2plates, 5hg and 1dm

This small parade corps entered the field to begin the evening and formed a concert arc with the battery behind. They played a number of brief arrangements of patriotic favorites. This little corps played quite well. The percussion was very tight and gave the signs of some very good instruction. They also played a rockin cadence on the way out that had the audience clapping along. The brass section played their quality arrangements to good effect. The honor guard also made an effective color presentation. All-in-all, if you added a color guard, 20th Century Limited could successfully compete in DCA's Class A. They enjoyed a well-earned standing ovation from the crowd.

Competition

White Sabers

19 brass, 3 snares, 2 tenors, 5 bds, 10? guard, 9 pit, 3 dm

The White Sabres have made major improvements since last season. Playing the music of Robert Smith, a nice trumpet solo in the introduction got things started on a great note. The pit also was very effective in the intro and opening of the second number. Fine solos in the jazzy section of the second number also were telling. The percussion section has made major strides over last year, turning in an effective performance. On the other hand, there were some ensemble phasing problems betwen brass and percussion. Both sections seemed to struggle with various sections of the book. Still, this year's White Sabers have made much improvement and have a fine nucleus. Good job White Sabers!

Fusion Core

25 brass, 5snares, 4bds, 6 pit, 2dm, 11 guard.

Since I saw Fusion earlier in the season, they have made major improvements in their show. The bass drums, in particular, made their impact in tonight's show and have added to the quality of the unit's sound. I particularly like the cool opening statement with the snares playing a one-handed pattern with a lot of other neat pit/percussive things happening. Another cool section is when the snares enter the pit and a number of differernt percussive tones create a very unique sound. (Fusion's percussion section should be happy to know the 10 year old boy sitting next to me was drumming along to their beats-it was really cute) While Fusion's percussion continues to develop at a rapid rate, their brass section really drives the corps/core and they perform their charts quite well. While they are not the loudest 25 horns in the land, they seem to thrive on a sort of breezy finese-which kind of gives them a cool identity. The small guard did some nice work with the silks. Fusion seems to me pretty near where Sun was last year, and that bodes well for them in Class A. The crowd though so too-standing O for Fusion.

Hurricanes

45ish brass, 9 snares, 4 tenors, 5bd, 10 pit, 25 guard, 8 hg, 3dm

Dramatic trumpet to the West calls the corps to the competition field and their journey westward. This journey is led by an amazing guard. I can remember just a few years ago, really noticing the Hurricanes guard during the Jesus Christ Show. I thought they were of championship quality then, and they have only improved in the intervening years. I generally watch mostly percussion, but the Hurcs guard is so good, I find myself drawn to their antics. Constant equipment work, changes, and excellent execution all were on display by the Hurcs guard. Speaking of percussion, boy, the battery is playing with big time chops and skill. The have several exposed sections that compare nicely to Bucs. Awesome. The drill is really cool giving the sense of the epic journey of the and some really cute moments such as in the 'hoedown' section. Big time brass sound and fine trumpet soloist work... The Hurricanes looked very clean, sounded strong and again brought the crowd to their feet.

Empire Statesmen

50ish brass, 9 snares, 3 tenros, 5bds, 21 guard, 3dm

The drill has been cleaned. Since the Grand Prix, the Statesmen's drill has been much improved and the brass has caught fire. Empire's brass was the loudest of the night (until Cab's Alumni-see below). Playing a lot of familiar music, the audience clapped along. Great soloists and screamers balanced by nice work in the pit playing a whole heck of a lot of accurate notes-especially in the second number. Empire's battery was it's usual tightness with the nine snares leading the way. The guard's equipment work seems a bit understated compared to the Hurcs, but the dancing girl in the red dress was effective, as was the closer with the smoke and American flag. Also the posters indicating the music selections being played are a nice touch. Standin O for Empire.

Hawthorne Caballeros

40ish brass, 9snares, 4 tenors, 5bds, 14 pit, 24 guard, 2dm

Playing some familiar music from Chick Corea and ending with a more traditionally Spanish (rather than Jazzy) version of Maleguena, Cabs also showed that they were in it to win it. Led by the always effective battery who will be the main challenger's to Bucs percussion dominance at Rochester. Cabs battery plays a lot of notes, but always musically and with very clear articulation. The pit also nicely helps to create moods evocative of the Spanish themes the corps seeks to convey. Brass has some cool sections with the trumpets playing some tight runs-at least to my ears. The guard seems very comparable to Empires as not quite being as extroverted as Hurcs or Bush. I think the show perhaps could use a bit more oomph in that regard to put it over the top. The field is so close this year.... Cabs got a well-deserved standing O.

Bushwackers

28 brass, 6 snares, 3 tenors, 5bd, 1dm, 6 pit 32 guard

With a brass section only a little bigger than Fusion's Bush seems much larger on the field. Why? They have a 32 member guard! Not only is Bush's guard big, it is really, really good. Their style is very muscular this year reminding me of Madisen back in the day. A lot of effective equipment work and field coverage made Bush's guard a standout. Bush's percussion section played with more confidence than some of the larger lines they've fielded in the recent past. The pit also nicely complimented the music (who knows a conga would work so well in gypsy music-but it did!) Their show is a cool take on Gypsy music and it certainly has a distinctive sound. The brass parts seem pretty syncopated and difficult and the brass had some evident struggles with the charts. But overall, the show is very entertaining and unique. The crowd appreciated the show and also rewarded Bush with a vigorous standing ovation.

Cabs Alumni

60ish brass, 6 snares, 7bds, a million (13?)percussionists, 12 silks, 6 rifles, 3dms

No disrespect to the competition corps, but Cabs Alumni stole the night. Featuring a WALL OF SOUND brass section and that crazy, vintage Latin boogie making percussion section, amazing soloists, campy drum major, and a small but effective guard, the Cabs Alumni rocked the house down. Entering the field in dramatic fashion-they looked like an invading army, the corps settled into some old school charts and drill. The audience was thrilled by the soloists, vintage drum-to-drum solo and I even saw folks dancing about the Latin boogie cadence. Cabs Alumni was the perfect conclusion to a wonderful night of DCA competition.

Thanks to all the performers and the Children's Home of Kingston NY!!!!

please come to Scranton!!! GREAT review!!!!! :worthy:

Thank You!!!!!

You don't know how much your kind words mean to a bunch of really nice, hard-working people!!

The responce from the officials and crowd were also noted and greaty appreciated by the whole corps.

Tom MacDonald

(unofficially) for 20th Century Limited

BTW:

TCL players still wear the "star emblem" shakos passed on to them from the old Capitol Brass Ensemble field corps, almost 15 years ago. The same ones we wore at DCA Finals in 1993.

It was great to see them once again trooping the stands; on the heads, and in the hands of these fine people from TCL.

Edited by brassomaniac

hey,

What was it with the Booing when they read Empire's score? Would it be correct to assume they were booing because they expected them to beat Hurricanes?

I am not trying to start a huge debate or bru-ha. Just want to see if someone can clarify.

Thank you

you and I both know why they were booing, It should have been .5 in the other direction at least. the tie for GE was Bs, I think you will see that next week in Scranton. the other guards only have to get relatively close and the spread will got he other way. mark it down

hey,

Thank you

I have been to the Kingston, NY, DCA show since 2004 (until this year) both as a spectator and as a performer. There seems to be quite a lot of chemistry between Statesmen and the crowd there. ES won the show from 2004-2006 and were just edged out last year by Cabs. So, being edged out by Hurcs might have been a little more than some (biased, perhaps) fans wanted to hear.

The Kingston crowd is very demonstrative, and I think they've adopted ES as a "hometown" corps. So when the corps doesn't finish as well as the crowd thinks they should've, they let everyone else know.

To the reviewer, thanks for your report. I enjoyed it very much.

Actually Kingston is a Hawthorne crowd, always has been. The booing was obviously because of Empires 2nd place finish. Myself, I went with Empire for first, they have the best entertaining show and you definately get the goose bumps from that ending. As they exited the field the crowd was yelling how much they got scre- - d, / shafted and the majority left the field along with the Statesmen.

Great show, as always.