Now how much would you pay?

I don't think I am! :) That's my answer. I wouldn't even want it, really.

the point is how do you assign a vlaue to something that is basically priceless?

The rings themselves can't have an actual material value of much more than maybe $50-$100 max, but its the symbolism and history that makes it worth more.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

the point is how do you assign a vlaue to something that is basically priceless?

The rings themselves can't have an actual material value of much more than maybe $50-$100 max, but its the symbolism and history that makes it worth more.

but thats what she's saying. if you earned one, its priceless, if you didnt, its worthless

but thats what she's saying. if you earned one, its priceless, if you didnt, its worthless

my point is they show up on ebay and they never go unsold.

just wondering if that happened how much would you pay?

You can't honestly say if you walked up to a yard sale and a DCI ring was on the table, and the lady says "make me an offer" you would just say "no thanks".

I know I would at least want the history behind the ring and why it was for sale.

If there was some good reason it was for sale I would buy it.

How about this?

What if a championship corps was auctioning off a ring for charity?

does that make the question more palatable?

:)

So then the Mona Lisa is worthless because you didn't paint it? I started the memorabilia thread because of a Garfield Cadet patch, A PATCH, sold for over 200.00. I also know of a Blue Devil Championship ring that sold for over 1000.00. It was sold because the member died and would thus no longer be wearing it. I am assuming since they didn't bury him wearing it, they should have then thrown it away? Its worthless to anyone else, right?

Edited by 84skyrydr

So then the Mona Lisa is worthless because you didn't paint it?

Not a great analogy.

A better one for that would be.

If Da Vinci had been awarded a medal for the painting... what value would you see in that medal. Now that its much later and of much greater historical significance, that medal would be worth a lot.... but what painter at the time would see any value other than its material worth.

Let's see if I can help you out here, Mark.

Some of you are missing the keyword "hypothetical." He isn't asking if you've won or lost finals. He is asking IF you were a DCI memorabilia collector, what would something be worth to you.

Is that close, Mark?

Edited by skajerk

So then the Mona Lisa is worthless because you didn't paint it? I started the memorabilia thread because of a Garfield Cadet patch, A PATCH, sold for over 200.00. I also know of a Blue Devil Championship ring that sold for over 1000.00. It was sold because the member died and would thus no longer be wearing it. I am assuming since they didn't bury him wearing it, they should have then thrown it away? Its worthless to anyone else, right?

well.. yeah, in that case you have extenuating circumstances where the ring becomes something to remember the wearer by.

A ring, by itself, with no selling story behind it other than it was worn by a medal winner... has no value to me.

There have been 2 BD rings that have popped up on ebay (80 and 82 IIRC)...both came from estate sales.

This doesn't necessarily mean the original owner died...but thagt whoever had posesson died, and they may not be the same person (believe me....we tried to find out....no luck)

In both cases, the ring was won by an alum and returned to the corps, where it belongs.

For myself, I would not buy one I did not earn....well let me amend that. If an 84 Garfield ring came up I'd buy it, wear it around my neck at finals in tribute to a great corps (under my shirt...it'd be a private thing), then find Hop and give it back to the corps.

Let's see if I can help you out here, Mark.

Some of you are missing the keyword "hypothetical." He isn't asking if you've won or lost finals. He is asking IF you were a DCI memorabilia collector, what would something be worth to you.

Is that close, Mark?

You nailed it. thats where I was going with this whole thing.

You didn't happen to march with John Apple did you?