Phantom Wins

Probably because the possibility of getting sued out of existence by the source music owner hasn't quite sunk in to those who ##### about it....no matter how many times or how clearly you explain it.

Can you point me to one single case where a performing group who has had a illegally recorded performance posted online has been sued by the source music owner?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you point me to one single case where a performing group who has had a illegally recorded performance posted online has been sued by the source music owner?

I can't give you that specific scenerio, but they do open themselves to liability if they don't make a concerted effort to help combat that.

Don't get me wrong- I'm sure part of it is keeping content controlled so they can market it themselves. But part of is certainly for CYA purposes.

Edited by Keith Laubhan

if THEY don't want THEIR material online, then it is THEIR prerogative to police it and ask for "The site which shall remain nameless" to remove it.

You can buy the DVD's and CD's when they come available this fall. Or, visit here and buy something from the virtual souvie stand.

:smile:

...I guess when you go as long as they have WITHOUT a trophy, some odd reactions can be expected.

Thanks to those who don't "lock down" when they win!

Blue Devils, should have been another Saturday night for you...get 'em next season!

(and I'm sure I'll get to watch anything I want of that night.....)

;o)

As far as I know, if a corps is warming up in a public place, they do not have the right to take that stuff down. Inside the show is different, but if something is done publicly it becomes public domain....

...whether I'm right or wrong, they're removing them because they are producing the same product for sale, so that's why.

Personally, I think that any corps that has media that they can legally allow on that "you" site should keep it on there! The Cavaliers became extremely popular among the marching band folks around the same time that they were the only corps who had shows on KaZaA (who doesn't remember downloading Niagara Falls and the press box cam of Four Corners 1000 times like 6 years ago), and I think that's a huge factor behind some of their successes today.

i don't think anyone has ever accused drum corps or the dci board of being competent marketers, and it makes perfect sense they would willfully block anything that creates a good pr buzz for them online. and they may have a lot of reasons for doing so, at least they may be convincing themselves they do, but cya is not one of them, copywrite holders sue the poster and the hosting company, not the individual whose performance has been posted (and not, i've found, anyone who posts or hosts a link to a performance, dcp's policy here is based on supporting dci, not liability)

A lot of corps rely heavily on their CD and DVD sales for fund raising. Topping off the tanks on tour at $5,000 a pop can get rather expensive, not to mention uniforms, insurance, equipment, instructors, food etc.

"It's not Showfriends it's Showbusiness"

They own the performance copyrights on anything they do (unless corps are still required to sign the audio and video rights over to DCI, which is how it was in the past.)

They play music of artists that are licensed to them

They can get sued, as can anyone who pirates a video/audio and posts it in the Internet

The industry is actively seeking out and prosecuting/litigating copyright violators

It's no joke ... Respect it.

...I guess when you go as long as they have WITHOUT a trophy, some odd reactions can be expected.

;o)

um, it's only been 12 years since they got a trophy. Other corps have gone a lot longer.

IMO, it's their right to pull them. Was I bummed I couldn't show my wife the last 2 minutes of the encore performance last night? Yup. Will I be one of the first ones to shell out money for the CD, DVD, On-The-Road DVD, Championship gear, etc and be happy to do it? You bet. These corps need our support.

Now the wife will just have to watch the whole show with me on DVD in a few months... over and over and over.