Minimum Size Limit or Not?

Size Limit  

116 members have voted

1. 1. Should the minimum level change or stay the same?

• Maintain current ruling of 35 minimum per corps
    • Change limit to 30
    • Terminate the minimum number and allow all corps to compete

Since this is getting some debate, here's a poll.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If memory serves me correctly.......wasn't this 35 rule already hashed, re-hashed, and beaten' to death on DCP about a year ago? Seems as though an explanation was also given. Maybe an archive search is in order. Or not..........

If memory serves me correctly.......wasn't this 35 rule already hashed, re-hashed, and beaten' to death on DCP about a year ago? Seems as though an explanation was also given. Maybe an archive search is in order. Or not..........

Yes, BUT.

Isn't there a rules meeting this winter? I would just like to see, a more positive type Rule. Every Organization has to have Rules and Standards. So if at all possible. Let's make them lead to a more Positive way of things. God knows we have to have Rules that penalize. But let's not have more Negative stuff than absolutely Necessary. Let's get this 35 Rule tweaked to make for a Better DCA.

Drop it to 30

OR keep 35 with appropriate penalties for less than 35....but let 'em on the #### field! (and include the DM in the count...he/she is part of the show. I would agree that an A squad should not count, UNLESS they take an active part in the show like Renegades' in 02 during their opener)

Close the minicorps/Class A gap

I think this needs to be one of the options in the poll - I agree that a minimum should be established, but there should not be a competitive 'purgatory'.

I think this needs to be one of the options in the poll - I agree that a minimum should be established, but there should not be a competitive 'purgatory'.

That was my major complaint when the rule 1st came down...people can talk all they want anout recruiting harder, but there are far too many examples where recruiting harder doesn;t work if there's no place to perform at DCA without either padding just to get there or dropping a few people to make the designated size.

That was my major complaint when the rule 1st came down...people can talk all they want anout recruiting harder, but there are far too many examples where recruiting harder doesn;t work if there's no place to perform at DCA without either padding just to get there or dropping a few people to make the designated size.

And just because I like to quote Sam :rock: ....

I think only the misinformed believe that the smaller corps don't try to recruit as many people as they can - they do, and probably harder than most of us who may be blessed in one way or another with great location or following, or maybe we were in the same boat years ago too and found that right 'magic' to make it happen.

Also to be honest, maybe it is the ignorance of what 'big time' all age drum corps is supposed to look like, but I haven't heard any disparaging remarks from any southern drum corps crowds about the size of the performing corps. If anything, they tend to appreciate the presentation. About the worst comment I ever heard was several years ago in Orlando - "wow, they are so small......but, man, can they wail!!"

looking forward to seeing all corps this weekend in Atlanta, big or small.

And just because I like to quote Sam :blink: ....

Man....do YOU need a new hobby!! :blink:

About the worst comment I ever heard was several years ago in Orlando - "wow, they are so small......but, man, can they wail!!"

Dream had much that same experience at our very first performance...Impulse Family Day 2002.

We're on the field cranking out some Jim Ott ("Walk Him up the Stairs") and we cam clearly see the Impulse kids counting all 18 horns we had and marvelling at how much sound we put out!

I guess they forgot all of us had prior experience pushing air through G bugles....some of us at the top level!

Drop it to 30

OR keep 35 with appropriate penalties for less than 35....but let 'em on the #### field! (and include the DM in the count...he/she is part of the show. I would agree that an A squad should not count, UNLESS they take an active part in the show like Renegades' in 02 during their opener)

DCI has a minimum of 30. DCA has 35. Mini Corps has 21 MAX.

Why don't we make it 25 minimum. Only 4 away from Mini Corps Max.

The only problem I foresee is that some will be at 23 or 24, and have the same issues we now have at 35.

I think 25 would be entertaining with the right shows, and still allow growth for DCA.

The Corps that do DCI still need to get to 30 minimum anyway. Just thinking of growing DCA. The first years are the toughest for any start up corps. If you can pick up a few people each year, your at 25 before you know it. Maybe include 1 drum major in the count. Just a thought.

I don't think it should exist at all. With the current performance purgatory, some corps may seek alternative performance avenues. And the possiblity exists that they'll like those alternatives better. And should that evolve into the role model, where does that leave DCA in a few years?