Big drops by the guard

So, does anybody know if Crown dropped the big one (girl in his arms, catch behind her back)?

I know that during those windy rehearsals he would sometimes just not toss it since he wouldn't be able to go to it to catch it with the girl in his arms, but I don't remember him ever dropping it.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For 15 years in my car and now on my ipod I hear the gasps of the crowd when 20 rifles in BD toss and attempt to catch in Strawberry soup.

The year of the drops has to be 1993 in Jackson Ms. It began pouring down raining right before Madison came on. Live TV so the the show must go on. Lots of understandable drops because of wet equipment. You can actually see and hear the water being slung off the flags. Drops for almost every guard that night. The worst of which happened to Blue Devils whose guard almost never drops. The camera caught a line of saber tosses. At least half were dropped. Later... the perfect camera angle for a sword drop for Cadets then a few moments later a rifle drop at a big musical hit. But for some reason the weather had no effect at all on Star of Indiana whose guard was on fire that night.

The weather didn't seem to have an effect on Phantom Regiment either. Their guard performed very well during the finals show.

The most unfortunate result of the rain in '93 occurred during the Cavaliers show. Their were multiple guard drops and corps members falling on the field. Some of those falls looked very painful.

For 15 years in my car and now on my ipod I hear the gasps of the crowd when 20 rifles in BD toss and attempt to catch in Strawberry soup.

The Guard that year wasn't the best ones they have had to Date. I'm not sure if the Rain/wet field had any bearing on the mishaps.

Bluecoats 1988 (one of my top BC shows of all times, I love thier marching!)

10 rifles all in one camera shot, they do a lob toss and lay down on thier backs and catch.

It was bad luck for the guard but the wind took all ten guns away.

All ten rifles tossed and all ten guns blew away. Because they were off thier feet and on their backs, there was no way to recover and take a step or two back.

10 rifles dropping on one toss has got to be the record for DCI finals and was recorded in a PERFECT camera frame.

Those of you with FAN NETWORK Bluecoats 1988 at 9:26 to 9:33.

Thanks for the tip. I just watched that one...OUCH. Loved the music, though.

The most memorable drop I remember was Cadets at Finals in 2002. The moment in the closer when the rifles count the spins....then bam! He normally

nailed it, but not that night :laughing:

was that the one that bounced up and hit the soprano player in the head (you can see his helmet move) during the sextet, or was that in 1988?

...ugh. everytime this is mentioned I have to clarify...

I caught mine - upside down and three feet to the right - but I caught it. But I was one of the few who did.

Our excuse was - ugly wind gust. Watch the plumes on the sops helmets ...right before Weiclaw gets hit in the head.

Just watched 88 Bluecoats (not for the drop - Ok curiosity) and what...20 snares? Snare, tenors, some pit, and cymbals all went on snares? The head-to-head action was snazzy.

Wow - and then the GUARD was on horns? How many did that? Very cool, melodic, and yet driving show.

MAV