Big drops by the guard

As I watched Carolina Crown's incredible guard performance this year, I wondered if disaster had ever befallen the big catch. I'm talking about the one where she jumps in his arms, and he catches the rifle behind her back. I wondered if they ever missed during the season.

And that got me thinking about other "super-exposed" moments.

I'm not talking about a regular drop. I'm talking about THE drop. The drop that NEVER is allowed to happen. Two of my favorite shows come to mind. Cadets 1997 finals (responsible for the audible gasp from the crowd on our CDs) and Cadets 2002 finals (one of the men in the military style rifle front at the end of the show).

I also wonder about the end of the Crossmen show in either 97 or 98, when the wall of sound stopped with the exact timing of his catch of at least a twelve (OK, probably a seven, but still). He nailed it at finals. But what about the season?

Disclaimer: This post is not a rag on the guard members. I couldn't catch my umbrella on a 1 1/2 toss. And horn players frack too, just ask the Blue Devils.

So, what do you remember? Which big tosses were botched? And not just finals.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah. there were a couple bad drops in finals. one that i remember very well was in i think semis in 2008 with scv's 3hree. they are going down like a 20 person rifle line, tossing one by one and everyone made it but the last one, who had the highest and most noticeable drop. another was in semis bd constantly risking absurdity. big drum solo and a tenor threw his stick , and the guard guy was supposed to catch it but missed. i loved how he smiled and just shrugged and recovered.

ohh and another thing. a guard girl dropped a FLAG in the end on finals finis carolina crown. a flag of all things but she recovered pretty quickly.

Edited by Bigboyblue1122

yeah. there were a couple bad drops in finals. one that i remember very well was in i think semis in 2008 with scv's 3hree. they are going down like a 20 person rifle line, tossing one by one and everyone made it but the last one, who had the highest and most noticeable drop. another was in semis bd constantly risking absurdity. big drum solo and a tenor threw his stick , and the guard guy was supposed to catch it but missed. i loved how he smiled and just shrugged and recovered.

ohh and another thing. a guard girl dropped a FLAG in the end on finals finis carolina crown. a flag of all things but she recovered pretty quickly.

During the Cadets' show, they have that spot where the girl runs down the tunnel of rifle tosses, and she gets to the last one and it's huge and it's all her. Well, at the Warrenton, VA show, she dropped it, but at QF, she nailed it and everyone cheered!! :blink:

Phantom had a big drop in the middle of their show this year on finals night- BIG groan from the crowd when he dropped it.

Another one- BD's saber line, where about 20 or so members crouch down for a big toss- and then proceed to deliberately drop their weapons on the ground as they execute the toss. Good thing for them the tick era's dead :blink:

Boston, the first year they made finals, I recall a guard guy trying a HUGE toss, at least a 7, and dropping it. But then he nailed the epicly huge final toss of the show- the one where the camera has to do the massive vertical tracking shot to follow the rifle.

and Cadets 2002 finals (one of the men in the military style rifle front at the end of the show).

Sad thing was, that wasn't even during the actual toss- it just got away from him during the single-hand spin segment right before. By the time he got the rifle back, the other nine had already tossed, so he had to just stand there.

Not a good night for that corps, to be sure.

During the Cadets' show, they have that spot where the girl runs down the tunnel of rifle tosses, and she gets to the last one and it's huge and it's all her. Well, at the Warrenton, VA show, she dropped it, but at QF, she nailed it and everyone cheered!! :blink:

That toss was dropped at West Chester, but nailed two nights later at DCI Allentown. Tough catch really, someone else tosses it....she just had to run 20 yards to make the catch!

Cavaliers at NightBeat. The two guys on the 50 and on drop and the rifle shot across the hornline...

He recovered

Thanks, guys. These should get easier to spot over the more recent years, because there are so many more "super-exposed" tosses. I remember when only a few guards had the guts to try it. But now, I guess everyone has to try it to keep up with the Joneses (not Sara).

I'm not talking about a regular drop. I'm talking about THE drop. The drop that NEVER is allowed to happen.

Like any toss is EVER allowed to be dropped? I understand your point, but really...."dont worry about this F sharp in measure 52...its the one in measure 70 that you have to play correctly."

:blink: