Phantom Regiment discussion

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The end of New World and Canon in D reprise are my favorites.

OK, here we go:

78 ode to joy

79 elsas

81 opening statement

83 1812

85 whole show, very underrated, would love to see them gives symphonie fantastique another shot

as a member:

86, rookie year, very rough, don't think we did a complete rewrite, but not far off.

87 the closer, tieing Cadets for first at DCI Canada, finishing 3rd at prelims, the white unis

88 the ensemble in the closer, winning colorguard

89 the whole show, especially the aforementioned sop entrance to the end still gives me goosebumps, performing with the Kansas City Orchestra, winning visual and brass

90 Bacchanale, winning visual, finally beating SCV

after aging out:

91 Nessun Dorma

93 Fire of eternal glory, death hunt

94 white witch doctor

95 opener, another very underrated show, the black unis

96 opener is still one of the greatest 4 minutes ever put on the field in my opinion, was genius.

also "and 2nd place... which is actually a tie for first place"

03 canon

07 1000 airplanes on the roof (I love philip glass music, always thought Cadets would do this one)

08 whole show, loved it

(Sigh) No love for 2002? I loved that show, especially the running notes in the bass drum line and the hammer and sickle props in the guard. And here's a humorous moment from that year that happened in Casper, Wy.

During retreat, the Troopers had the honor to lead America the Beautiful/O Canada. So the Trooper drum major is in the stands and counts off to lead only the Troopers in the opening statement. Well, on his downbeat, only a few horns play, so he cuts everybody off and tries again. On the second try, more horns are playing, but very badly and very weakly. So, all us Trooper fans are squirming in our seats.

Then the part where the music transitions from America the Beautiful to O Canada and all the corps on the field play arrives and Phantom is in the block right next to Troopers. The WALL of SOUND that emanated from Phantom was hair-raising, made more so by the weak attempt from the Troopers. (Obviously Troop hadn't worked on retreat music much at that point in the season)

Other memorable Phantom moments that stick out in my mind were the end of the opening statement in 1989 as the guard does a spin with their flags while doing a leg kick and grabbing their feet with their free hand. (Not really spectacular, but I always thought that was so cool)

Toward the end of the ballad in 2000; the long, sustained note. Absolutely beautiful and for awhile brought tears to my eyes when I would listen to the CD recording from San Antonio in the off season.

2007: The Firebird final push

2003: Opening Canon statement

2006: all of Ave Maria

2008: The Final push

(Sigh) No love for 2002? I loved that show, especially the running notes in the bass drum line and the hammer and sickle props in the guard.

I gotta be honest- looking back, I'm not that thrilled with that particular show (especially considering what came right before and right after it). The opener was pretty strong and the last minute was impressive, but beyond that it left me wanting. I recall their hornline being a bit on the rough side even at the end of the year, and the drumline was a big anchor for them.

Now that you mention the guard, I do remember the boots. Those must have been FUN to march in.

Thanks for the 2000 shout-out. It's very rare that I hear anyone praise my years. Thanks!

Toward the end of the ballad in 2000; the long, sustained note. Absolutely beautiful and for awhile brought tears to my eyes when I would listen to the CD recording from San Antonio in the off season.