PR show idea

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Speaking of electronics, there's one moment in the "Spartacus" show where it might have been necessary.

Early in the year, during the opener, the drum major would turn to the audience and yell "LIVE, OR DIE??" As the season wore on, people started to yell during that part, and you couldn't hear him say it.

I think that they should have mic'd that one part for the drum major to be heard over crowd noise.

Oh well. They won. Who cares?

I am sorry, but NONE of these suggestions will fly until they play Janacek's "Sinfonietta". That is the new rule for 2009. :cool:

OMG yes pleeeeeeease!!!!

What if Phantom played something that hasn't been played a thousand times before?

:cool: :cool: :cool:

Why, that'd be like:

BD riffing on "Pegasus" in 2007!

Holy Name playing Bernstein in 2009!

The Cavaliers playing another Richard Saucedo original composition!

Boston riffing on "Conquest" in 2008!

I totally agree. :cool:

Since Phantom's 2008 show was, by any and all standards, a massive success, I think they should take some of their design elements a little further. The musical variety of music in this show concept would work well for Crown as well, judging from their 2008 repertoire.

Accessible, tuneful music has made something of a comeback, as shown by PR and Crown especially, among others corps. Check. Phantom has shown that violence in shows is not only acceptable to the majority of the DCI audience, it is considered extremely entertaining. Uh, double, triple, check. And "Spartacus" borrowed a key dramatic impact point from the Stanley Kubrick film of the same name. Check. The obvious next step in show design, taking it to the next level:

A Clockwork Orange.

Look at this repertoire!:

Henry Purcell's Funeral Music for Queen Mary

Rossini's William Tell Overture and The Thieving Magpie

Elgar's Pomp and Circumstance

Rimsky-Korsakov's Scheherezade

Singin' in the Rain

Beethoven's Ninth!

Doesn't that repertoire just scream PHANTOM REGIMENT? It would put Crown 08 to shame in terms of displaying a variety of incredible classical pieces with tons of audience appeal!

PR's guard has guys now, so you'd have no problem portraying Alex and his droogies! I bet they could do some great work, twirling around canes...of course, the females in the guard would have plenty to do as well!

Now, I know electronics are controversial, but they could be used here to give authentic, true-to-original renditions of Walter-Wendy Carlos's magnificent score.

Man, even Phantom's all-white uniforms work perfectly for this show--like a big ol' pack of droogs! Just think of all the creative props they could use in this show--a certain Spirit of Disney winner! I don't know why no one has done this yet already!

Hey Territroop, it isn't just a girl thing. I just watched that movie yesterday and would have to say that any drum corps DUMB enough to do a show based on RAPE ( two attempted and one actual ) would be pretty stupid and pathetic. Those that find this to be their favorite movie, please seek some help for that disorder.

What if Phantom played something that hasn't been played a thousand times before?

:cool: :cool: :cool:

Like...... Janacek's Sinfonietta! :cool:

Hey Territroop, it isn't just a girl thing. I just watched that movie yesterday and would have to say that any drum corps DUMB enough to do a show based on RAPE ( two attempted and one actual ) would be pretty stupid and pathetic. Those that find this to be their favorite movie, please seek some help for that disorder.

The plot of 'A Clockwork Orange' is about the circumstances leading to a mechanically responsive human (orang is Malaysan for 'human'). It is no more about rape than Spartacus was about murder. That does not mean that the rapes did not happen (nor the murders in Spartacus) - both kind of have the same finale - the triumph over tyranny. Clockwork Orange is more disturbing because the 'tyranny' can be defined as western civilization.

Edited by IllianaLancerContra

The plot of 'A Clockwork Orange' is about the circumstances leading to a mechanically responsive human (orang is Malaysan for 'human'). It is no more about rape than Spartacus was about murder. That does not mean that the rapes did not happen (nor the murders in Spartacus) - both kind of have the same finale - the triumph over tyranny. Clockwork Orange is more disturbing because the 'tyranny' can be defined as western civilization.

There were a considerable nuimber of posts and people who felt that their was too much violence involved in Spartacus. I couldn't even imagine how the crowds would feel when they watch the drum major sneak up behind the guard girls and procced to attack them sexually. Still think that it would be a great idea?