PR show idea

Since Phantom's 2008 show was, by any and all standards, a massive success, I think they should take some of their design elements a little further. The musical variety of music in this show concept would work well for Crown as well, judging from their 2008 repertoire.

Accessible, tuneful music has made something of a comeback, as shown by PR and Crown especially, among others corps. Check. Phantom has shown that violence in shows is not only acceptable to the majority of the DCI audience, it is considered extremely entertaining. Uh, double, triple, check. And "Spartacus" borrowed a key dramatic impact point from the Stanley Kubrick film of the same name. Check. The obvious next step in show design, taking it to the next level:

A Clockwork Orange.

Look at this repertoire!:

Henry Purcell's Funeral Music for Queen Mary

Rossini's William Tell Overture and The Thieving Magpie

Elgar's Pomp and Circumstance

Rimsky-Korsakov's Scheherezade

Singin' in the Rain

Beethoven's Ninth!

Doesn't that repertoire just scream PHANTOM REGIMENT? It would put Crown 08 to shame in terms of displaying a variety of incredible classical pieces with tons of audience appeal!

PR's guard has guys now, so you'd have no problem portraying Alex and his droogies! I bet they could do some great work, twirling around canes...of course, the females in the guard would have plenty to do as well!

Now, I know electronics are controversial, but they could be used here to give authentic, true-to-original renditions of Walter-Wendy Carlos's magnificent score.

Man, even Phantom's all-white uniforms work perfectly for this show--like a big ol' pack of droogs! Just think of all the creative props they could use in this show--a certain Spirit of Disney winner! I don't know why no one has done this yet already!

Edited by FTNK

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

oof. No thanks, not for me. Not to say it isn't brilliant, but I'm not sure I could stomach it on the field. I know it makes no sense in the context of your point because I'm sure the full story of Spartacus when viewed in full production is just as violent and painful. Maybe it's a girl thing, considering the very graphic nature of the violence against women in Clockwork. And, unlike Phantom's rendition of the story of Spartacus, there is no real cathartic moment to release all of that tension. (at least I don't feel it)

Since Phantom's 2008 show was, by any and all standards, a massive success, I think they should take some of their design elements a little further. The musical variety of music in this show concept would work well for Crown as well, judging from their 2008 repertoire.

Accessible, tuneful music has made something of a comeback, as shown by PR and Crown especially, among others corps. Check. Phantom has shown that violence in shows is not only acceptable to the majority of the DCI audience, it is considered extremely entertaining. Uh, double, triple, check. And "Spartacus" borrowed a key dramatic impact point from the Stanley Kubrick film of the same name. Check. The obvious next step in show design, taking it to the next level:

A Clockwork Orange.

Look at this repertoire!:

Henry Purcell's Funeral Music for Queen Mary

Rossini's William Tell Overture and The Thieving Magpie

Elgar's Pomp and Circumstance

Rimsky-Korsakov's Scheherezade

Singin' in the Rain

Beethoven's Ninth!

Doesn't that repertoire just scream PHANTOM REGIMENT? It would put Crown 08 to shame in terms of displaying a variety of incredible classical pieces with tons of audience appeal!

PR's guard has guys now, so you'd have no problem portraying Alex and his droogies! I bet they could do some great work, twirling around canes...of course, the females in the guard would have plenty to do as well!

Now, I know electronics are controversial, but they could be used here to give authentic, true-to-original renditions of Walter-Wendy Carlos's magnificent score.

Man, even Phantom's all-white uniforms work perfectly for this show--like a big ol' pack of droogs! Just think of all the creative props they could use in this show--a certain Spirit of Disney winner! I don't know why no one has done this yet already!

Dear dear oh my brother - you mean 'The Glorious Ninth of Ludwig van'

My favorite movie of all time.

oof. No thanks, not for me. Not to say it isn't brilliant, but I'm not sure I could stomach it on the field. I know it makes no sense in the context of your point because I'm sure the full story of Spartacus when viewed in full production is just as violent and painful. Maybe it's a girl thing, considering the very graphic nature of the violence against women in Clockwork. And, unlike Phantom's rendition of the story of Spartacus, there is no real cathartic moment to release all of that tension. (at least I don't feel it)

I'm with you Terri.

Maybe it is a girl thing (since I am one). Not to negate the whole of his works, but "A Clockwork Orange" is precisely why I don't care for Kubrick.

I would not be entertained by such a show (no disrespect for the OP).

Edited by 27/soa

Aaaaaah, musically sublime. Visually intriguing. No catharsis, unless they change the ending. Videe well my brothers, the concept is awesome. A Clockwork Orange was and is a controversial book and movie. It was definitely misogynistic. The music on the otherhand was incredible, and I would love to hear Phantom play it. Especially the "Theiving Magpie" into the glorious ninth. I think their design team could handle it without too much offensiveness. Go for it.

I've always wanted to see Phantom do a "Sweeney Todd" show. Now that they've made violence entertaining ( :blink: ), the story has catharsis, and would make a great dark show. Black uniforms please...

I'm going to list mine by movie title and let Phantom find music that will fit the theme.

1. Empire of the Sun- This would translate incredibly on the field. Put Phantom theatrics, horns, and percussion and this could be another winner. The score for this movie wouldn't need much help. Even though an attempt was made with this no one really took it to the level Phantom could.

2. Gladiator- Phantoms could mix some of the music from the and some of their own choices.

3. Brave Heart- Similar to Sparticus but different enough to keep you in...His girl is killed, he goes to war, he finds another love, and gets killed...

4. Hook- great story telling music.

Aaaaaah, musically sublime. Visually intriguing. No catharsis, unless they change the ending. Videe well my brothers, the concept is awesome. A Clockwork Orange was and is a controversial book and movie. It was definitely misogynistic.

I disagree. Considering the situation that led Burgess to write the novel, and Kubrick's worldview, I'd never call Clockwork Orange misogynistic.

Would the drum solo be 'I want to Marry a Lighthouse Keeper?'