Sr. and All Ages

Could someone please tell me the difference between a competitive Sr. corps and a competitive all ages corps, as far as ages go? I know all ages id exactly what it says but is senior different or is it the corps option what they want to call it?

Thanks

Could someone please tell me the difference between a competitive Sr. corps and a competitive all ages corps, as far as ages go? I know all ages id exactly what it says but is senior different or is it the corps option what they want to call it?

Thanks

Same corps...different wrapping....the name All-Age was adopted partially because the term "Sr" was giving the wrong impression about that slice of teh activity (a bunch of boozy oldsters trying to recapture their lost glory).

All-Age is a more accurate terms....since if you have a pulse, you're eligible, but it's mroe of a mouthful....I still say Sr just out of habit.

Same corps...different wrapping....the name All-Age was adopted partially because the term "Sr" was giving the wrong impression about that slice of teh activity (a bunch of boozy oldsters trying to recapture their lost glory).

All-Age is a more accurate terms....since if you have a pulse, you're eligible, but it's mroe of a mouthful....I still say Sr just out of habit.

It's only a mouthful 'cause you're a boozy oldster. :cool:

Thanks

Senior Drum Corps are the people that still use push wheelchairs, ALL-AGE Drum Corps members share a Scooter. Simple eh

Doug Smith

we were senior corps back in the day because of the american legion and vfw rules about age. you had to be 21 to compete and a lot of shows were sponsered by them in those days. we still had young people in the corps though as i can attest to being under age when i started to march. when we went to legion contests i had a copy of the color guard captians legion card in case they carded me. in 58 and 59 i believe Reilly and archie got dq'd for being under age. that's where it came from.

Thanks

It kind of just happened. More and more of the Big SENIOR "Drum and Bugle Corps" started getting members younger than 21.

See. In the "OLDEN Days" Junior Corps people moved on to Senior Corps when they were no longer able to march Jr. Corps. Now, I know some Sr. Corps did have SOME people in, about the 18 year old area.

Then also with the Addition of Class A. The All Age seemed more correct. Some Class A groups have very few people over 21. (The old traditional age out of Junior.) Both the Age change and the Class A changes have made it possible to keep the groups going. I think to most people that this what has prevented many of the Old Big Names from dieing off. (Like the rest of the USA and Canada) The New Blood mixed with the Old has been Great for DCA and all of Drum Corps. NOW! Coast to Coast. California, to New York. AND! From Minnesota, Wisconsin and Canada to Georgia, Florida and Texas.

Not just the North East anymore.

(But, I also still say Sr Corps. Just old and stuck in my ways.)

Edited by OldStyleCorps

(But, I also still say Sr Corps. Just old and stuck in my ways.)

Have the same affliction.... :cool:

Seriously, one reason for the change was lot of youger people thought you had to be 21 or older to march a "Senior" corps. Ended up hurting recruiting for some corps so "All-Age" is less confusiing. The same problem exists with "Alumni" corps as most accept people who marched with other corps or never marched.

s/Guy who started with a Senior corps at age 16 (many moons ago :cool: ).

we were senior corps back in the day because of the american legion and vfw rules about age. you had to be 21 to compete and a lot of shows were sponsered by them in those days. we still had young people in the corps though as i can attest to being under age when i started to march. when we went to legion contests i had a copy of the color guard captians legion card in case they carded me. in 58 and 59 i believe Reilly and archie got dq'd for being under age. that's where it came from.

Hmmm ... I believe Reilly and Archie got hit with the 80/20 rule that had to do with the number of veterans on the field vs. non-vets ... not necessarily their age ... I'm fairly certain it was still in effect in 66 and then diminished to 50/50 and then went away ...

:-)