Future DCA Championships.

I will come out of mini retirement for this....

screw them Allen... You work your butt off to make our home show and the championships successful, Successful being the key word that many are ignoring

Flame away, I am done.. needed to defend my boy Allen

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will come out of mini retirement for this....

screw them Allen... You work your butt off to make our home show and the championships successful, Successful being the key word that many are ignoring

Flame away, I am done.. needed to defend my boy Allen

Move over Kenny - Allen is MY boy!!!!

I know how hard you work and I think it should move out of Rochester simply so you can get your sanity back............................HAAHAHAHAH who are we kidding, as if you ever had it!! luv ya, miss ya, mean it!!

What about Baltimore area? It's still plenty close to the North East, but its just a little closer to our neighbors in the South. Not perfect, I know... but at least its a start.

P.S. - I know, I know... submit a bid.

I think a big reason DCA would be hesitant to move out West some would be because of the fans. My money is on the guess that most fans who would attend finals live in the Northeast, and DCA my be afraid that if they hold finals away from the fan base, they might not get as many fans. And fans are fan$.

Conversely, there are many DCA fans who would make the trip to Chicago who dont usually come out East.

DCA at Soldier Field? That would be a well attended contest I think.

If anything Toyota Park would be the better venue. Soldier Field would be way to pricey, you also have the NFL preseason going and the logistics could be a nightmare.

There would also have to be a few years of East Coast corps coming out this way for a show to help promote DCA a bit. But don't kid yourself Drum Corps is very much alive in the midwest so I think any contest out here (if well promoted) would be well attended.

I think we all get that the DCA corps and fans for the most part are from the Northeast. An opportunity to send the right messages and expand the circuit should not be flippantly dismissed. DCA has a real chance of growing and becoming the national circuit it claims to be, and effort to a compromise would realize that goal.

Chicago would be an attractive venue, but in some respects unrealistic (though I would love it since I'm only an hour away!), how about Ohio... it's sort of middle ground for a lot of Corps, everyone would have to travel a little bit without putting most out. It's also impartial territory, and could attract new fans if placed in the right town (ie: near attractions, etc.).

My seldom written $.02-------

TR

This has all been hashed over before at great length. I'm sure those in the know will eventually show up here and explain the bidding process and required criteria to move this event. if only it were as simple as........'hey-let's go here/there next year"....but it aint.

You are SO correct. People just don't understand what a HUGE undertaking this event is. You don't just say "Hey... lets host the DCA Championshiops" and it happens. We started working on our bid a year before we even handed it in. Don't get me wrong. It's been a great experience. I had the joy of working with Vince Bruni and crew way back in 1996 so I knew what I was getting myself into. We have a great system here in Rochester and I'm lucky that I'm very involved in the Community with my "normal job" because it makes it a bit easier. But you need that in whatever city you choose. Not every city has a Visitor's Association that will take on a project of this size. It's not like the event just comes into town and goes to the Stadium. You need to deal with the City, the County, the School Districts (over 30 of them) the Police Department, the Health Department, the Stadium, the I & E site (in rochester it's a huge Convention Center) not to mention close to 30 Drum Corps needs....... It's never ending.

So to anyone who says ....lets go here! I'd give you any help or advice on how to put a bid together and then wish you good luck!! But first check with all the above places and see that they want you first....

You are SO correct. People just don't understand what a HUGE undertaking this event is. You don't just say "Hey... lets host the DCA Championshiops" and it happens. We started working on our bid a year before we even handed it in. Don't get me wrong. It's been a great experience. I had the joy of working with Vince Bruni and crew way back in 1996 so I knew what I was getting myself into. We have a great system here in Rochester and I'm lucky that I'm very involved in the Community with my "normal job" because it makes it a bit easier. But you need that in whatever city you choose. Not every city has a Visitor's Association that will take on a project of this size. It's not like the event just comes into town and goes to the Stadium. You need to deal with the City, the County, the School Districts (over 30 of them) the Police Department, the Health Department, the Stadium, the I & E site (in rochester it's a huge Convention Center) not to mention close to 30 Drum Corps needs....... It's never ending.

So to anyone who says ....lets go here! I'd give you any help or advice on how to put a bid together and then wish you good luck!! But first check with all the above places and see that they want you first....

I think youre taking this too personally. This is blue-sky theorizing on what the possible benefits would be to the activity of a championship not in the East. Of course we understand what a huge undertaking the championship is and are very pleased with the job that you and others do to make it a success.

That said, its not like we havent had our share of successful championships out here in the midwest. Chicago has hosted VFW Nationals, DeKalb DCM, Whitewater (just got a sportgrass field!) and Madison numerous DCI championships

Edited by Scerpella

Inspires comes out every couple years...... obviously not able to afford an annual visit.

Although times are certainly different form the years of the AL championship, both the AL and VFW championships moved as the annual convention moved. Not all corps made the trip, especially the "junior" corps.

It would be a shame to see ANYTHING take the wind out of the momentum that DCA is enjoying over these past years. To that end, Scranton would probably be as "close" to central USA as you can locate without disruption. An occasional championship in Baltimore is still a generous gesture. My original inclusion of Chicago would probably be counter productive. (I withdraw my "bid")

JoeDz

PS: I'm in NJ, but would travel to NY/NJ/PA/CT/MD......then again, I'm not financing a trailer and buses

to quote Jeff Ream.... "Submit a bid"

DCA is currently seeking and encouraging bids... from any area... information can be had by emailing Dick Eschenmann, Business Manager at businessmanager@dcacorps.org

I also would be available to discuss this with anyone, anywhere... as would Allen Buell...