Future DCA Championships.

Like the 10mph speed traps in Wilkes-Barre (Oh, so visitor-friendly)? I've never seen a region so unwelcoming of outsiders.

I have never heard "I'm not from the area so I didn't know Officer" really being a valid excuse EVER, but most especially on a holiday weekend when cops are out EVERYWHERE! If you aren't from the area, look for the signs and follow the laws. It really doesn't get any simpler than that.

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Being on the left coast, and being the truck driver for our corps, I would love to see championships move further west, or even to the west coast at some point before I can't march anymore. However, I do not see it being feasible at this time.

I think Rochester is a great venue. It is nice to go back to the same place each year. No matter if it is like a "home show" for a couple corps or not. When you have been there one year, you know what to expect the next year. You know your way around and are just as prepared as any corps that is in the same city. However the parking change that has been forced upon is this year is going to be a bit strange. I think the problem that arose last year could have been prevented by a little better planning on both the part of the corps and DCA. Perhaps we can get that lot back again next year if things are better this year.

I would NEVER like to see a return to Scranton. The Gestapo there was out of hand!

I have had to deal with the logistics of getting equipment and people across the country for years doing WGI so I may be a little less against the long travel than others. However, I do wish that corps from the northeast (and I only say northeast because that is the largest density of corps population) would travel to shows in the south, mid-west, and even come out west so we could have a real DCA show here. Heck, I would like to see corps from the south, midwest and northeast come out here and have a major show weekend in late July or early August. I appreciate the open class DCI corps shows we attend, but seeing the same corps every week gets old. I would love for us to have a full DCA show. Las Vegas anyone? Then the corps from the NE could also understand what we all go through to get to championships.

Yes you can say you understand it, but until you have done it, you really don't know. Same thing holds true for planning the championships weekend.

11 days 'till I&E Friday!!!!

You are SO correct. People just don't understand what a HUGE undertaking this event is. You don't just say "Hey... lets host the DCA Championshiops" and it happens. We started working on our bid a year before we even handed it in. Don't get me wrong. It's been a great experience. I had the joy of working with Vince Bruni and crew way back in 1996 so I knew what I was getting myself into. We have a great system here in Rochester and I'm lucky that I'm very involved in the Community with my "normal job" because it makes it a bit easier. But you need that in whatever city you choose. Not every city has a Visitor's Association that will take on a project of this size. It's not like the event just comes into town and goes to the Stadium. You need to deal with the City, the County, the School Districts (over 30 of them) the Police Department, the Health Department, the Stadium, the I & E site (in rochester it's a huge Convention Center) not to mention close to 30 Drum Corps needs....... It's never ending.

So to anyone who says ....lets go here! I'd give you any help or advice on how to put a bid together and then wish you good luck!! But first check with all the above places and see that they want you first....

I'm sure no one is criticising your efforts - conversely you're making it seem as if the process is like walking on a combination of hot coals and broken glass - you are a repeat (successful) bidder, yes? You can't hate it as much as you make it seem? It's a natural process for folks to think about different venues. Franklin Field was a terrific change of pace. While I don't like the stadium, I hear what the Renegade folks are saying about Scranton. Had many memorable nights in Allentown. Folks can think about moving without attacking your efforts - your formidable and sucessful efforts.

Plus, if another town picks it up and falls on its face - think of how you'll look then! I think Chicago would be a gas, and I respectfully disagree with my pals who say that the senior and alumni folks wouldn't go out. Everyone went out to Wisconsin a couple of years ago and it was a blast. Some new blood would be terrific.

One thing for sure the management of DCA will make decisions that are in the best interest of the membership. They haven't fumbled in a good many quarters, going way back.

If we're considering moving championships away from the fan base, why not consider the Democratic Republic of the Congo. We could bring drum corps to the continent of Africa with hopes of getting a couple of new corps started up. No corps would be at an advantage, because you all will be traveling. We could even force each corps to do at least one sanctioned show on the African continent in order to perform at the championships.

Sorry… for selfish reasons I’d hate to see championships move out of the north east. Even Rochester is a stretch for me at 6 hours drive.

:thumbup:

How many of those events include all those equipment trucks and corps busses as well as the fans cars?

Kay, Soldier Field has a seating capacity of 61,500. I'm sure there is ample parking for a couple dozen coaches and trucks. I mean seeing as how there are probably 30-50 coaches full of fans which come to every Bears game.

lets go to Bloomington :-P

Bloomington Mn ? :thumbup: It can be in the parking lot of Mall O Merri. Former site if Metropolitan Stadium and Met Center.

this year.

I would NEVER like to see a return to Scranton. The Gestapo there was out of hand!

Did you read the comments following 03? They were even worse....one moron threated a corps with being written up for parading without a permit....while they were marching to the stadium!!

I was REALLY worried when we headed over to the entry gate for prelims in 04....I had this vision of being spread eagled against the wall.

Somebody beat me to mentioning Columbus, OH, but what about Akron or Canton? Chicago would be great as well, as would Baltimore.

If we're considering moving championships away from the fan base, why not consider the Democratic Republic of the Congo. We could bring drum corps to the continent of Africa with hopes of getting a couple of new corps started up. No corps would be at an advantage, because you all will be traveling. We could even force each corps to do at least one sanctioned show on the African continent in order to perform at the championships.

If I'm understanding you correctly, it appears you are saying DCA is an East coast thing only therefore any move of the Championships out of the East Coast is a silly move? Not that I think youre completely offbase, but to compare moving it to the midwest as equal to the Republic of Congo is way too much hyperbole I think.

The fact is the east because of its concentration of corps will probably always remain the main source of All Age corps. But dismissive thinking like the Congo comment I dont think is ever going to help accomplish making DCA a truly national activity. Consider this however, at this point in time only 10 out of the 25 competing corps at Rochester can be considered East Coast. (Not counting Alumni and mini corps) 5 are midwestern (MBI, Govies, Chops, Kilties, Lakeshoremen) 6 are Southern (Corpsvets, Alliance, MCL, Shenandoah Sound, Carolina Gold, Sun Devils) 2 California (Renegades, SoCal Dream) 2 Texas (Gulf Coast Sound, Frontier) Surely that can be considered at least the start of a justification for contemplating Championships in a state not NY or PA.

The question that probably needs an answer is whether DCA exists to preserve the circuit as is to benefit the same traditional fan base, or to promote the national growth of the activity. Clearly Texas and Cali are going to remain on the outer reaches of this activity, but the fact that there are 11 strong players in the Midwest and South is something to be reckoned with.