Shows that just don't 'work'

SCV's Walton show in 93 leaves me cold. I can admire it, particularly the excellent closer but it always feels like it's skirting around the point musically. Perhaps it's a fault with Walton's music.

I agree with you, I've always said the best thing about that show was the tour shirt.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen Cavaliers 2007 mentioned a lot, but I would select 2005 for this thread before that year. To me, 2005 was more disjointed than any Cavaliers show this decade. There wasn't any connectivity between the movements, something that has set the Cavaliers apart and the mood that each movement was going for was so strikingly different. The 'traffic' opener was perfectly in the Cavaliers style, and the baseball section was quirky fun, but the ballad suffered from trying to switch gears (pun intended) so swiftly, and the jazzy closer was not just out of character for this corps but an ineffective was to bring the show home.

Yes, I agree with this about Cavies 2005. To me -- a show that "just doesn't work" is one that has most of the elements of a fantastic show, but just one cohesive or defining "thing" is missing. Cavies 2005 is a good example of this as you say. Obviously a talented bunch and typical Cavies great musical and marching moments, but something was missing that put the show over top.

Another example to me is BD 2005. I don't want to get into any arguments about narration or YOWZA's. Even if you're okay with all that, the show was still missing something. I brought a couple of newbies to Finals that year and when they saw the show the first time, they just sat there with a confused look on their face. When I said "backwards dance marathon", they both went "Ohhhhhhh" and enjoyed the show much better the next night. Somehow, that show just didn't bring across the backwards dance marathon well enough to the viewer. Even after you knew that's what it was, it still required too much straining to get it. A little better clarity on the story and I think that show "works". :tongue:

Phantom 2007 same thing. Great show for the most part, but the storyline never quite came across to me clearly, like in Spartacus. Even knowing the storyline didn't really help as I spent more time trying to figure out how the story elements I knew were being protrayed and not enough time viewing the show as a whole. Still a great show, just not quite "working" for me.

The only shows I can think of that fit this topic are cavies 96, which I could have slept through and glassmen 94, the moody blues show. meh!

I prefer to not judge drum corps based on the video alone and unfortunately I have not seen much the past 10 years. Of the shows I have seen live that didn't have IT for me, those two shows and maybe more but I can't think of them at the moment. Probably 95 regiment also. That show just lacked a lot but for them only. following 2 amazing shows in 93 and 94 and just prior to their 96 championship show. WHen you are talking about lacking something, that show did lack a "spark" that made the prvious 6 years special and what made the next couple special.

I am actually very shocked at all the top 12 placing shows that people claim didn't work. I have really only seen 1 show from a World Class corps that didn't work. It placed at the bottom the year it was performed. Other years this corps has placed last, but to be honest, I think most of that corps shows work.

The other 2 that I felt completely didn't work were open class corps. Colt Cadets one year had a show that just didn't work, and one year Racine Scouts had a show that just didn't work.

I personally feel there is a difference between a show that doesn't work, and a show that just may not be quite as good as a corps usually puts out. I think an enormous amount of critique goes out to corps like Cadets, Cavaliers, Blue Devils, SCV, and Phantom because of the success they have had in remaining in the top 5 almost every year. I don't think just because you don't like a show doesnt' mean that it doesn't work.

For example, I will mention that Phantom Regiment in 2005 had what I considered to be the most overated show of the decade. I didn't think it deserved to be in the top 5, let alone the top 3. And it was by far a step down from the 2 previous seasons. I didn't care for the musical selections, and thought the arrangements were not done very well. But to say the show didn't work would be completely innaccurate. I think there is a huge difference between a show not working, and simply not liking or caring for the show.

hmm for me 07 blue devils didn't do it for me. great first half and then rapidly declined for me. ummmm 08 cavaliers over all didn't catch my attention. 08 bk it was just eh. 04 cadets. ha great moments, awesome drumline and hornline but didn't work.

BIGGEST MISSES WITH HIGH SCORES

Why pick on the lower corps, we know when they are not up to par. It's when the judges give big numbers to shows that "just don't work."

SO:

1986 Garfiled Cadets

1996 Blue Devils It's my "PLAN 9 FROM OUTSPACE" or "ISHTAR"

1995 SCV Not The Nutcracker (just beat out 94 Red Poppy)

HM: Star 1987 Circus, "Blues Train" BD, Crown 06 and 04 (it's creepy).

Edited by Cop

HM: Star 1987 Circus, "Blues Train" BD, Crown 06 and 04 (it's creepy).

i did a double-take, re-read your post, and I still can't fathom it. 2004 Blue Devils blew me away from the very first viewing, and you named the only two Crown shows i repeatedly listen to.

It's probably another thread entirely, but what exactly does "didn't work" mean for you (as in anyone) in this context? A show that...

- failed to connect the visual to the audio?

- failed to connect with the audience (didn't get sufficient or expected applause from the crowd? Or just didn't connect with you?)

- seemed too unsusual?

- seemed too typical?

- was too much of a departure from this corps usual shows?

- was rewarded by judges but not by crowds?

- was rewarded by crowds but not by judges?

- you didn't enjoy the music or visual selections?

- didn't present the theme effectively?

- picked an ineffective theme?

- picked too abstract a theme?

- picked too simple a theme?

- the performance level didn't match up with the level of the design (i.e., wasn't executed well, but was designed effectively, or was executed the snot out of but wasn't designed well?)

- just lacked that intagible thing that seperates shows that work from shows that don't?

- Other???

Are there shows you hated but felt they DID "work" well?

Are there shows you loved but DIDN'T think they "worked?"

Edited by troon8