Why do you love Crown?

awesome brass line, i didnt get this years show, good music just something about it didnt seem all that impressive

but yes i think their hornline is incredible and wish more corps could sound like that.

but i wouldnt say i love them...

Edited by doyle079

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because they have the "total package":

Hornline: LOVE their sound

Guard: Awesome

Percussion: Good

And it's fan friendly!

What more can I ask for (besides a win?)

Because they have this activity figured out, in my opinion. They provide their members with the best possible education and summer experience. They practice good sportsmanship. They put out entertaining shows, consistently. They get the best possible equipment, uniforms, trucks, busses, etc. They don't seem to spend on frivolous (you can interpret that word how you will) items for the corps. They seem to focus on every single aspect of the drum corps, rather than just having an outstanding visual package, musical package, colorguard, or what have you. That says to me that everyone is focused on educating, and it also says to me that education DOES yield results. From the drum major to the front ensemble to the third trumpets, I feel like those members walk away satisfied with what they accomplished and learned. They pay attention to the competition factor and work towards being successful in that arena, yet I don't think they probably define their season by their placement. They aren't afraid to try something that is new and hasn't been done before. They work to raise funds, and they do a good job with it by sponsoring two drum corps shows, a fall band show, they sell great souvenirs, and they have an ongoing fuel fund, just to name a few. They are friendly and willing to help other organizations like themselves. They seem to place emphasis on public appearance and perception, without making it a stifling and strict environment.

All in all, I don't think there is much you can REALLY find wrong with Carolina Crown. They are like the America's Sweetheart of DCI. Since finals there have been many shortcomings of other corps pointed out. Specifically--the actions at retreat. And yet no one has anything to say about Crown. That doesn't just happen by accident. It is a result of how that corps is run. From the administrators on down. Good for them, and may others follow suit.

Just my opinion, though.

They don't seem to spend on frivolous (you can interpret that word how you will) items for the corps.

don't they have TV's mounted in their equipment truck? also, some people (not all) might consider annual uniform changes to be frivolous, though i believe their uniforms are designed for this to be possible in an economically efficient manner.

no comment on the rest of your post

Edited by Jared_mello

Because of their amazing shows. And I go to school with a good part of the drumline.

This. I rarely see the old corps like Cavies having fun. They just come off as too serious and steeped in tradition. Crown, though, while as serious as any of them, they know how to let their hair down. How many corps play songs from Happy Feet?

Don't forget about the Christmas music in July! "Deck the Halls"

don't they have TV's mounted in their equipment truck?

Used strictly for educational purposes...............

I LIKE crown because they have an awesome hornline

I would LOVE them if they got away from the cutesy shows.

Bells, and angels, and horsies....OH MY! :smile:

Next year, they will perform an execution on the field. I mean it pushed Phantom Regiment over the top this year. I think everybody will be murdering next year. ESPECIALLY the Blue Devils!

some people (not all) might consider annual uniform changes to be frivolous, though i believe their uniforms are designed for this to be possible in an economically efficient manner.

Same uniform 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006.

Same uniform 2007, 2008 with only change in the 3-panel area of the jacket.

That's 2 uniforms in 6 years.

I love Crown because:

Dedicated staff, dedicated administration, dedicated kids (who are polite and grateful for the little things you do for them, like serve them food!).

Oh, and they're fun to watch and hear!

I haven't seen the corps since '06 but continue to hear mostly positive things about the corps, its show design, performance level etc... Obviously a 4th place finish generally confirms this.

What I like is that they appear to have put a fan friendly, accessible show back on the map and in contention. I make the assumption that PR did the same this year In SPADES?!

Edited by bedford