Why do you love Crown?

if you didn't like the show, you are in a small minority....

And we all know the minority must be squashed in favor of the majority :smile:

It's a shame, but I'd probably be a greater fan of Crown if it weren't for posts like yours. I didn't care for this year's show, either. I liked what they were doing from 2004-2006 a lot more.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Corpsreps is not accurate in the slightest. It doesn't even list Dance Movements for BD, their entire closer. Take anything you see on there with a grain of salt.

Okay. This has been bugging me ever since I first heard the show and people were saying that they were playing Sweeney. Being a big ST fan and I could hear how people thought they were playing part of "Epiphany", but if you listen closely, there are differences. I just left that argument alone until now since it's come into question again. Since I still wasn't buying it, I decided to go straight to the source and called Crown myself just a few minutes ago.

For the record, they did not play Sweeney Todd. It's an original composition based on the Toccata and Fugue (which is also what Epiphany was based on). Which is why ST isn't listed on corpsreps but the Toccata and Fugue is. I find corpsreps to usually be quite accurate as they are with this one.

Gotcha...the members of the corps called the piece Sweeney Todd, though, so I'm going by that.

Lay off the kool-aid buddy. A lot of these things could be said about almost any drum corps.

You're right, a lot of these things CAN be said about almost any corps. But the key words there are "a lot". I have been trying to think of another drum corps that you can literally say ALL of those things about. Don't get me wrong, I am sure that Crown has their own internal affairs that they are constantly working to make better. Every corps does. But I'm pretty sure I could take every other drum corps and point out an obvious problem they had this summer whereas Crown did not. Even the most common problem, money, doesn't seem to be an issue for them. So far the only negative thing I've really heard anyone say is, "Well, I personally didn't care for their show this year." Notice it wasn't anyone saying that they had a weak section, just saying that they personally didn't care for the design. And well, it's pretty much impossible to please every single audience member. I'd say they were pretty successful since they won over the overwhelming majority.

So, if you can think of another drum corps with the positive reputation that Crown has, then feel free to post it. Until then, I'll keep drinking the kool-aid. :)

How can you NOT like Crown!

Very easily. Different people have different tastes.

Great music, performed at an exceptionally high level, crowd-pleasing, visually progressing right along....they are awesome!

They are very very good. But crowd pleasing is a subjective thing and, well, see above...different people have different tastes.

No one is asking anyone else to make Crown your favorite corps, but maybe there's a serious case of DCI snobbery going around if you can't look at the growth Crown has experienced and be able to tip your cap to them for some quality performances.

Please understand that you can tip your cap to them all you want because nobody can deny the improvement they have made over the years, but that doesn't mean people HAVE TO like them or love them or worship the ground they walk on or think they are the greatest corps since Sliced Bread (of Indiana).

I like Crown. Didn't care for the show that much this year.

I like horsy

Now if Crown follows the Regiment model of 4th to Championship, Regiment got 4th in 1976 so

They will tie for their first championship in 2028 (ties will be in again then) and have their first outright championship in 2040

Bluecoats 2026/2038

Wow, from 2038 to 2040 we’ll have 2 new DCI champions, I can't wait, can you?

I've loved every show they've put out since 2003. They're one of those corps that perform very well while doing a very fan-friendly show that many people can love. I hope they continue putting out entertaining, fun shows in the future and continue to be as successful as they have been the past few years. Here's hoping to see them in the top 3 in the near future. :smile:

I feel, and by crowd response many others as well, that Crown's design team does an excellent job of taking shows that could be silly or cheesy but keeping them from going over the edge to those things.

If Crown 2007 wasn't over-the-top, I don't know what is. That show was cheese from start to finish.

What I love about Crown is the fact that they are another east coast corps within the top six.

I also love to acknowledge how far they have come in their short existence.

I honestly didn't like much of their show this year, but last year show was my favorite.

I appreciate the fact that they managed to beat Cadets for the first time in their existence.

I usually like most of the music they play because as some pointed out, it is accessible.

What I DON'T like is how there are some who think accessible music is the way to go. I highly disagree with this in some cases. I like the fact that a lot of corps play music that hasn't been heard before because it exposes me to something new, and I LOVE new, most of the time.

What I love about Crown is the fact that they are another east coast corps within the top six.

I also love to acknowledge how far they have come in their short existence.

I honestly didn't like much of their show this year, but last year show was my favorite.

I appreciate the fact that they managed to beat Cadets for the first time in their existence.

I usually like most of the music they play because as some pointed out, it is accessible.

What I DON'T like is how there are some who think accessible music is the way to go. I highly disagree with this in some cases. I like the fact that a lot of corps play music that hasn't been heard before because it exposes me to something new, and I LOVE new, most of the time.

Accessible doesn't mean popular, common or often heard. New and different music is welcomed and appreciated.

Presentation is the key. There has been a lot of new music presented in a way that the general audience can appreciate and enjoy. There has also been some less that accessible presentations.

2008 appeared to be a change for the positive with Crown being a frontrunner - even if some of the music was not new.