DCI Finals - Is there going to be a national broadcast?

I was just wondering, is there going to be a broadcast on ESPN 2 or PBS or anything else of finals this year? I have been out of the loop for a while and was wondering if there is going to be anything.

I would love to see it, but was the only way to see it this year by webcast or wait for the videos to see it?

I know that this will bring up reviews on how people feel about the production of it, but I just wanna see the corps.

Thanks!

Edited by mvbailey12

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You will have to buy the DVD's to see this year's shows. DCI suspended the broadcast. The cost of doing business is very expensive these days...

http://www.dci.org/news/view.cfm?news_id=9...95-fc05eed6d41e

-GM

Well, that really stinks!

Does anyone know if DCI's viewership was better with PBS or ESPN 2?

I know that $$$ of course is a big factor. I am curious as to what the cost is to be able to put a show together to view. It would have to be a ton.

Also, has the finals broadcast been used as a recruiting tool? I know that youth that want to march will march because they know of someone or a program somewhere already, but have there been any corps directors that can use it as a tool for recruitment or would it be more personal corps vids and such?

Just curious.

The cost of doing business gets very expensive as well when ticketmaster gets involved.

ESPN was a rip-off, even if it was "exposure" and PBS had too many demands, so without other outlets, that's about all they could do was to cancel.

My favorite story is that ESPN wanted to do away with "the people in the polos on the field" because it took away from the show they thought...oh producers of TV networks...

Well, that really stinks!

Does anyone know if DCI's viewership was better with PBS or ESPN 2?

I know that $$$ of course is a big factor. I am curious as to what the cost is to be able to put a show together to view. It would have to be a ton.

Also, has the finals broadcast been used as a recruiting tool? I know that youth that want to march will march because they know of someone or a program somewhere already, but have there been any corps directors that can use it as a tool for recruitment or would it be more personal corps vids and such?

Just curious.

I think I heard somewhere on DCP that DCI had to PAY ESPN $250,000 for the broadcast. That is in addition to the payment to Tom Blair etc to produce it.

Since it's on my mind, how do you think people would feel about a web broadcast of finals? I'm pretty sure DCI could produce it quickly and pretty inexpensively, and they could even show the entire finals and add in some commentary from the team.

It'd give the FanNetwork a little more to do during the off season, and might even give DCI money rather than them paying money to put it on the air.

I believe a friend of Mine is buying the DVD's he does every year so...DC party at his house

I was just wondering, is there going to be a broadcast on ESPN 2 or PBS or anything else of finals this year? I have been out of the loop for a while and was wondering if there is going to be anything.

I would love to see it, but was the only way to see it this year by webcast or wait for the videos to see it?

I know that this will bring up reviews on how people feel about the production of it, but I just wanna see the corps.

Thanks!

DCI should use PBS but people would have to donate $$$$ great station