Food problems on tour

The low point may have been having poor Hop pass out cold McD's cheeseburgers at a show warm up, or maybe eating cold canned ravioli in Bloomington.

I had friends who marched in a corps that was brand-new in '80, and they ran out of money for food. I was told that at one point, they were given a can of soup (cold, no way of reheating it), a can opener and told that was their meal for the day.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the most eye-opening conversations I ever had about the back end of DCI was with Jeff Fiedler a few years ago, when the whole "end of DCM" thing took place. He gave me a 5-minute lesson on being organized on tour and just how complicated the logistical side of it is, especially when / if dealing with food deliveries rather than going shopping. The Cavies took the time a few years ago to have their Tour Manager sit down with that of another struggling corps and try to show them how to organize all of that stuff - up to then that corps had been doing it on loose leaf sheets in the director's car.

Sometimes it's not the money that's the problem - it's the organizational skills.

Mike

Good point. Best intentions...only get you so far.

I had a boss in the Air Force who loved to say, "Hope is not a course of action."

He was right.

-GM

every time 84bdsop brings up the 1984 dci world championships results, i'm not posting on dcp for a few weeks.

Edited by Jared_mello

I had friends who marched in a corps that was brand-new in '80, and they ran out of money for food. I was told that at one point, they were given a can of soup (cold, no way of reheating it), a can opener and told that was their meal for the day.

Boston has a great food truck. The Kids are always provided with good thing to eat as well as good trans/equipment.

every time 84bdsop brings up the 1984 dci world championships results, i'm not posting on dcp for a few weeks.

84 BD loses...1/10th sucks

See ya in June!! :smile:

I'm pretty new to DCP....does every thread deteriorate into a pissing match like this one?

You'll learn to like it... or we'll take away your food while you're on tour! LOL

Back to the topic... I seem to remember stories about the Kingsmen having issues back in the 70's and 80's. And if anyone remembers VK's food truck, I would think it would be a blessing not to eat. I've heard horror stories there.

We ate like kings on tour. Great food, and there was always cereal and PB&J available to us, and the various bugs that found their way to the ables outside the food truck.

I marched in 1991 for the first time (corps to remain anonymous) and swore that I would never march again. Reason? They didn't feed us. We rolled into Dallas rehearsing as much as any corps out there. It was freakishly hot, and they sustained us on basically little for breakfast, little for lunch and little for dinner. Late night snack? Didn't exist for the last part of tour. I did march again in '93, but with Madison this go around. The attitude about taking care of the corps was completely different. We were fed and fed well. The staff was genuinely interested in taking care of the corps...Not babying us, but seeing that we were eating well enough to reahearse and perform well, and not go to bed hungry.

When you've had a 14 rehearsal day in blazing heat and are hungry all the while, you grow a new appreciation for the word resentment!

Not so anonymous when it says right in your profile where you marched..... :smile:

I do know what you mean though. We always had food but our food truck was really just a trailer pulled behind the Suburban, and there's only so much you can do with small facilities like that and a really limited budget. Of course there was the time that we didn't have a food trailer at all for a couple of days when the state troopers refused to let it out of the inspection/weigh station. We lived on cold cuts, cereal, pb&j, and fast food then. I do love that there is more of a team approach to things now between corps & wish we had that back then so maybe we wouldn't have been in such a pinch for those few days.

Maybe instead of bellyaching on the internet about food problems we should all get more involved in helping corps feed the kids. There are lots of things we can do:

Food fundraisers - church or school groups can do a nonperishable "bring a box" drive, or they can fundraise to give money toward food purchases

Spot feed - organize a meal for a corps. I really enjoyed getting enough funds from alums to pay for a barbeque dinner for the Troopers in San Antonio. Seeing their eyes light up at something completely different than food truck food was a highlight. The ice cream after the evening block didn't hurt either.

Donate at souvie wagons

Call a corps and ask what they need for the food truck and help them stock before tour

(Add your own here!)

I'll add more:

Join iGive.com so a % of your online shopping goes to your favorite corps (typically 2% to 8%). Some hotels participate as well, and you can also use their search page to donate $.01 per search. It costs you nothing, so why not join? For Madison fans, here's the link: iGive.com

If you're visiting a corps on tour, whether you have a relationship with a participating member or if they're just passing through your town, ask the food truck if there's anything you can get for them.

You can also arrange for the local women's and men's clubs, alums and friends to help provide a feast of home-baked or home-cooked goodies. Or bake something yourself... one Madison alum baked 450 cookies to bring to them in Atlanta (3 per member).

NOTE TO CORPS: I found out that VK was staying/practicing less than 3 miles from my home the day before they were to head out on tour. Seems they'd been there for a week or two. It would have been nice if some sort of notification had been sent to all local high schools so the kids could watch them practice and possibly contribute money or goodies or buy souvies. This would have been a good recruiting tool as well, since VK is obviously close enough for our high school band and colorguard members to participate in.

We travelled so poorly that year, it is almost a miracle we were able to execute at the level we did. In both 83 and 85 we had FAR more rehearsal time. I think most of us felt that 84 was the year of not eating and sitting on the side of the road! It was good that we had much of the show ready early that year.

p.s. Sorry about the ring. I attribute that to our luck in having Zingali. I am sure you know the level of pride you should have listening to and watching your show. Pieces of metal pale in comparison!

In 85 BD we went through your 84 year. We had a bus breakdown outside Wendover, NV and spent several hours sitting by the roadside in the desert. Later that season we lost our food truck to a fire, thus having many cold cereal breakfasts, sandwich lunches, and fast food dinners.

Thanks also for the 84 horn line compliment.