Rained out show

1992, Dubuque, IA.

We put on one of the absolute worst performances in stand-still Drum Corps history.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1988 Horicon, WI. As we turned backfield we saw the very black clouds coming our way. They stopped us in the middle of a really good performance and told us to get off the field and load up. I think there were a few more, but mainly just delays instead of cancelled shows.

Edited by Lesa

1980, US Open Prelims. The skies had been threatening all afternoon. A little light rain durring the first half of our show. When we come to our exit, "Niagra", it is now a steady rain. Right as we get to the big push....DOWNPOUR! Nothing like bringing Niagra Falls onto the field. Slipping and sliding in the mud, too much fun. :lookaround:

1973 U.S. Open finals. Blue Rock's uniforms were ruined, and they had to wear U.S. Open t-shirts to compete at the delayed finals the next day.

It rained about 3 inches in 90 minutes. I still have my reel-to-reel recording of stadium announcer Tom Judd booming over the loudspeakers (on top of Blue Rock playing American Salute)......

"Keep your #### ticket stubs!"

Somewhere in Florida, 1983. The show was on a polo or soccer field, I think. It was a pretty small venue. I remember being told to run and take cover under some eaves nearby, and while we're standing there lightning struck a tree just about 20 yards away. Talk about LOUD! It was a really weird CRRACKPOP kind of sound. I remember thinking "wow, my ears hurt" followed by "wow, lightning is blue and red."

1984 Atlanta Prelims. The rain started just before our closer, and by the big push it was pouring! Ruined our plumes and we had to borrow some from Blue Knights for our finals performance. (THANKS!!!)

1984 Atlanta Prelims. The rain started just before our closer, and by the big push it was pouring! Ruined our plumes and we had to borrow some from Blue Knights for our finals performance. (THANKS!!!)

Heh....I remember that. We were warmgn up across campus at -- I think -- the basketball arena, and had plenty of cover...didn't get a drop on us.

SCV, however, was huddling under a large tree, as I recall!

On July 23, 1989, the Colts had their home show scheduled in Dubuque, IA. I was a age out in the Phantom Regiment, and we were on the schedule of corps to compete that day. As we were warming up in the horn arc, the sky got more and more dark, until it started to rain. All of us went back on to the buses to protect the uniforms and plumes, and then the rain really started to come down. A few contras had been left out in the rain, and when they were noticed, someone yelled for the contras to get their horns. Well, by that time, the ground was a combination of grass and mud, and while a couple of the contras got their horns, one of them slipped and slid like he was on a slip and slide.

The show was eventually canceled, and the dirt road behind the stadium that lead to the other corps buses and all of the trucks was turned into a giant mud pit - which was quite fun for everyone for a while.

Anyone else have memories of that scrapped show?

Man, I remember that show like it was yesterday. I was working with the Emerald Knights at that time. I remember that the corps played and bailed out of there. We left so fast that the bus captains miss-counted the members. Three marchers were left behind in Dubuque (partly their fault as they had walked away from the stadium). We drove around the area trying to find the three missing guys. The show was partly memorable because it wasn't held at the usual venue (Dubuque Senior High) as new bleachers were being put in. Also, the staff with me in the van were chomping down on fried chicken that we had just bought for the whole corps.

Another memory of storms was in Buffalo at prelims for Div III. The heavens opened and the corps was soaked to the bone in no time flat. They were totally psyched during warm-ups and were dancing in the rain on the way to the field. Incidentally, that was the year Academe Musicale (sp?) kicked everyone's butts pushing EK out of Div III finals. They were truly awesome.