Rained out show

BD 1985 at DCI Canada, it started raining during our finals show. The crowd started to leave the stands for cover. Something about the event kind of torqued off the corps and it was like the whole corps took the performance to the next level. And what would have been just another show became one of our best shows that season.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well....yeah....some of us weren't there....so tell us a story, Uncle George! :smile:

Sam here you go:

The first half of the 1979 season on the east coast was all about rain. It seemed like every weekend it RAINED and boy did it rain. Anyway we were at the Dream, held in Jersey City. This was a Jr/Sr show. Well it was a cloudy day and the first 2 corps (Garfield & Royal Brigade) went on then the rain came. Well the show was delayed and we went underneath the stadium. The stadium was an old classic baseball stadium. We were down under the right field bleachers. Our director & assistant director went looking for covers for our drums (we had white back then) when the show started back up as the rain had stopped, the show was now just an exhibition ,since the field was a BIG mess. The infield was a BIG MUD puddle.

With that The Crossmen decided NOT to go on since they had new drums, so North Star went on in full uniform and performed. Now during their performance our Horn Sergant Greg Clark ( he of VK fame ) & Gary "Foot" Obranowicz( later Brass Arranger of the Bushwackers during th championship years) started going around with a shopping cart(Foot pushing it around ) and Greg saying, "DROP YOUR DRAWS AND PUT'EM IN THE SHOPPING CART". Well us rookies( me and my crew were only 15, so we did as our older members told us) started to put our pants in the cart and by the time everybody else had done it all you heard was Bridgemen your on. We lined up, our director not in site and boy did he FLIP OUT after the show on us, and off we came from out from underneath the stands.

Once the people realized we had no pants on they went crazy!!!!!!! Now during the drum solo we bent over and with a slit in the back of the coat, well you got to see the bridgemen in their underwear. And of course when the trio in Boogie came out they took off their coats and there you have the trio in just their underwear!!!!! What a show. There are many pictures of this event on our website and that appeared in DCN.

As far as the rest of the show, well once all the other corps heard of what we did, well game on, you had Skyliners coming out from the stands to traffic jam, the Matadors solosit's in women's tube tops & bra's, a cabs soloist throwing a horn high in the air and not catching it, just plain o'l fun doing drum corps and making a GREAT thing out a crappy rainy day.

Now as for our director. well he recieved MANY complaints and was asked what kind of drum corps are you running? and all and boy did he yell that day and the next one too. We did lose a BIG sponsor. It seems that Perier water was there to check the corps out and was about to sign up to be a sponsor for the corps, but once they saw us with no pants, well you get the picture.

As a rookie that is one of my favorite moments. The Wet Dream!!!!!!!

Hype!

George

Anyone remember the 1987 DCI Midwest Finals in St. Louis? I DO!

We were standing in the tunnel waiting to go on. Scouts were on the field when the bottom fell out. They finished their show but the

rest of the night was cancelled. It took all we could do not to get washed down the tunnel. The water was FLOWING!!!

later,

tony taylor

Oh, boy do I remember that! We were warming up when the storm hit, and found a covered atrium in a nearby building for shelter.

I'll second what Michael Boo said, I've NEVER seen lightning like that, before or since. The show was at Busch Stadium, and we watched in awe as the flag poles on the top of the stadium were struck over and over and over. When the show was cancelled, though, we were all VERY disappointed. The corps was really gaining momentum at that time, and we savored every chance we had to perform.

The other thing about that day was the killer heat during afternoon prelims. As we were marching on to the field, I glanced up at the scoreboard and saw that the field temperature was something like 128 degrees! I was EXTREMELY glad to be marching a Zingali drill that day, becasue the turf was so hot that it felt like your shoes would melt if you stood in one spot too long.

Edited by StuStu

OK. Not rained out but really, really rained on. 1971 early June at Blue Rock Show In Wilmington. We marched our Woodstock show - now maybe some Garfield Cadet, St. Andrew's Bridgemen, Blessed Sacrament Golden Knights or L.I. Kingsmen alum out there will remember this - right as we were coming out of the big "W" and the refrain of the Woodstock like one second before the Contra line "attacked" the American Flag section and we were all supposed to scatter with the snares imitating gun fire and all us Mellos pretending to be sirens, the sky lit up like a super nova and was followed instantly with a thunderclap and one million tons of rain! Well, we were running around in a faux riot and the crowd (maybe some who had seen the show the day before) started running on the field and the judges got their automatic tic machines out and it poured with lightning until we stepped over the exit line. Really. I think.

Puppet

OK. Not rained out but really, really rained on. 1971 early June at Blue Rock Show In Wilmington. We marched our Woodstock show - now maybe some Garfield Cadet, St. Andrew's Bridgemen, Blessed Sacrament Golden Knights or L.I. Kingsmen alum out there will remember this - right as we were coming out of the big "W" and the refrain of the Woodstock like one second before the Contra line "attacked" the American Flag section and we were all supposed to scatter with the snares imitating gun fire and all us Mellos pretending to be sirens, the sky lit up like a super nova and was followed instantly with a thunderclap and one million tons of rain! Well, we were running around in a faux riot and the crowd (maybe some who had seen the show the day before) started running on the field and the judges got their automatic tic machines out and it poured with lightning until we stepped over the exit line. Really. I think.

Puppet

I'm not sure if that was the same show, but on June 6 , 1971 we had a show at the Pennsylvania Military College in Chester, Pa, where we narrowly lost to the Garfield Cadets. It was dry all night until we went on, then from the middle of the show out the rain came. By the time we got to the West Point Alma mater reprise, it was a monsoon. I do also remember that the harder it rained, the better we got and the crowd went nuts. btw, I was just looking at the brochure we all got just a few days ago.

Edited by Fastone

I'm not sure if that was the same show, but on June 6 , 1971 we had a show at the Pennsylvania Military College in Chester, Pa, where we narrowly lost to the Garfield Cadets. It was dry all night until we went on, then from the middle of the show out the rain came. By the time we got to the West Point Alma mater reprise, it was a monsoon. I do also remember that the harder it rained, the better we got and the crowd went nuts. btw, I was just looking at the brochure we all got just a few days ago.

I remember there was a Saturday show and and Sunday show. June 5 Saturday and June 6 was the Sunday show in Wilmington hosted by Blue Rock. I could be all the way wrong but I also remember we lost both shows to Garfield by mere tenths of a point.

But even with my advanced case of three-quarter-heimer's, you have validated that that rain storm was of monster proportions.

Puppet

Edited by Puppet

Oh, boy do I remember that! We were warming up when the storm hit, and found a covered atrium in a nearby building for shelter.

I'll second what Michael Boo said, I've NEVER seen lightning like that, before or since. The show was at Busch Stadium, and we watched in awe as the flag poles on the top of the stadium were struck over and over and over. When the show was cancelled, though, we were all VERY disappointed. The corps was really gaining momentum at that time, and we savored every chance we had to perform.

The other thing about that day was the killer heat during afternoon prelims. As we were marching on to the field, I glanced up at the scoreboard and saw that the field temperature was something like 128 degrees! I was EXTREMELY glad to be marching a Zingali drill that day, becasue the turf was so hot that it felt like your shoes would melt if you stood in one spot too long.

Stu Stu,

Cadets guard was stuck in the tunnel along side of us. Had a nice conversation with one youg lady and I can't even remember her name. (that was

quite a while ago, though.lol)

Anyway, I loved your show that year!!

Tony Taylor

US Open Finals in early 1970's

1973. My favorite performance ever by Blue Rock as the skies opened up and they refused to leave the field.

Does the infamous sprinklers up the kilt show that happened to Kilties in the 70s count? :thumbup:

World Open 1974. They even put pictures of it on the back side of the album cover...which I just recovered from storage. (Can't wait to get the USB turntable and turn all the old stuff into mp3's!)

Garry in Vegas

Edited by CrunchyTenor

NM...double post!

Edited by CrunchyTenor