Prop Bag Ritual, Part 2

DCI Prop Bag Ritual, Part II…The Fall of Star of Indiana.

A cautionary tale for The Cadets

A few weeks ago, I presented an explanation of a force behind the design concepts - both good and bad -of our favorite drum and bugle corps. The secret DCI Prop Bag ritual, as you are all aware by now, is held every September to determine which prop will be used by which corps in the upcoming season.

If you are unfamiliar with the original breaking story, please read the following thread: http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/inde...howtopic=116087

Through the significant input of the very members of DCP, we have established that every corps has, to some degree, been impacted by the prop grab bag. I thank all of my new friends on the DCP for contributing. Now, we will address some apparent inconsistencies that have arisen from the prop bag.

Problems with the Prop Bag Ritual:

Some corps have taken extreme liberties with the supposed “one corps - one prop” ratio that should be expected from a grab bag. The Cadets 2006 show provides a perfect example. How could one corps emerge from the Prop Bag with a door, a bunny suit, a mad hatter outfit, an orange hard hat, a lounge singer, and enough scaffolding to paint the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel? We must look to history for the answer.

Our quest begins with Star of Indiana. There has been much debate about Star of Indiana over the years, although no one has legitimate grounds to question the talent or creativity of one of the few corps to claim a DCI championship. Let’s examine two of their shows.

Patriotic Show, 1992:

For all of Star’s relative talents, we must admit that they were not shy to dip from the Prop Bag. Let’s see…There’s the Circus Show (elephant suit), a couple of Roman shows (raise your golden chalice, anyone?), and of course, the Patriotic Show of 1992. I saw this show in Nashville (the first ever Preview of Champions) a few weeks before finals, and I loved it. Star of Indiana won the competition hands down and appeared a lock for their second consecutive title.

But as Star performed the same show at Finals, and I wondered, “What the **** happened? Did they rob a patriotic Five and Dime store?” Flags, shiny stars, red and blue guard skirts from an elementary school pageant, and of course, the tapestries…wheat fields, the Statue of Liberty, and the final giant screen-print of a flag that was ultimately lifted in place by the Army Corps of Engineers.

Subtle, it was not. Performed to near perfection? Absolutely. So what did Star of Indiana do as an encore?

Medea, 1993:

The very next year, Star of Indiana performed a show unlike any before it, a show that is still debated on these very boards. The contrast to 1992 is as stark as the uniforms on their backs. It was as if the entire show had been shot on a monochrome film. Poles without flags, uniforms without color, music and movement without prop (well, almost…though the scalene triangle is a tough one to build a show around). It was a brilliant achievement in minimalist design.

The Fight for the Balance of Power:

I can now report for the first time that the design of the 1993 Medea show was formed as much from necessity as it was from creativity.

My sources report a great deal of grumblings within the halls of DCI after the 92’ Prop Bag Ritual. Said Mr. Hopkins of the Cadets of Bergen County: “I’ll take my airplane propellers and run them up his ***. They have flagrantly abused the Prop Bag standard.” Mr. Hopkins was apparently upset about the disproportionate allocation of props for the 1992 season. Between Star of Indiana and Velvet Knights, it is a miracle that any other corps were allowed to use props at all. And Mr. Hopkins, who is never shy to petition for change, began a grass roots call for retribution.

Apparently, there was quite a scene at the 93’ prop bag draw. Mr. Hopkins and his loyal subjects sprung a few rules changes to the ceremony that have forced a shift in the activity since the 1993 season. Instead of “One prop per corps”, the prop bag ceremony is now subject to a sordid list of rules, not unlike the NFL draft (the half of you that follow football will surely understand…but for the rest of you that don’t understand the NFL and its draft, consider that the big patch of grass at the stadium was originally designed for football…look it up, you might be surprised).

The Prop Bag Rules were amended in September 1992 as follows:

1. Any corps may utilize any prop it has previously used in a show at any future show. This was a godsend for Pioneer, and it explains the reappearance of the Door in Cadets 2006.

2. Corps may trade for chances in the grab bag. The trade may be for future picks. Or, it may be for any other item of value, such as equipment and supplies, or even the trading of instructional staff.

3. A corps may take as many picks as it wants, PROVIDED IT IS STRIPPED OF FUTURE PROP BAG PICKS until the prop bag debt is repaid.

When faced with the unexpected loss of his precious props, Star of Indiana’s director exploded. As he stormed out of the room, he yelled, “Fine, Hoppy, do what you want. If Star has to march naked, then we’ll still march circles around your ***. And I’ll bet my eighth grade daughter could design a show better than yours.”

The consequences of that fateful event are now readily apparent. Star of Indiana decided to go to Broadway, a land of unfettered props, after the 1993 season. And the Velvet Knights, bless them, have not sniffed the top twelve since then.

A Bold Prediction for the Holy Name Cadets:

I do not believe that the Cadets will be packing for Broadway any time soon, nor will they likely ever miss the top 12. But I offer a prediction that the Holy Name Cadets will be forced to provide a no frills, classic drum corps show in 2009, 2010, and 2011. Based on the excesses of 2006, The Cadets were already in a prop bag deficit to equal Star or VK before the 2008 season. And yet, in the face of such a deep hole, Mr. Hopkins still proceeded to draw a Rooms-to-Go gift card for 2008. This deficit is now so large that Mr. Hopkins will not even be allowed to attend the Prop Bag Ceremony again until 2012. I just hope they don’t have to march naked. If the DVD’s go Blue Ray next year, that could be an unpleasant sight.

Now you know.

Up next: The Prop Bag Ceremony for the 2009 season will be taking place in September. Stay tuned, as your input will be needed.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the shining the light on the dark cloak of this organised musical skull society. I wished more drum core insighters would post on DCP like this.

I saw this show in Nashville (the first ever Preview of Champions) a few weeks before finals, and I loved it.

OBTW - that was the 2nd ever Preview of Champions.

LINK to first ever

Love the thread. Forum Admin, does this mean that his status goes from Rookie to Vet. That amount of words used on this thread alone equals to the amount of words I have used for all my posts. :tongue::w00t: j/k

Imagine a prop bag for DCP. Instead of props, perhaps words or topics you can comment on. Can imagine how much "Star of Indiana" topic would go for? :tongue:

Edited by Jeffe77

DCI Prop Bag Ritual, Part II…The Fall of Star of Indiana.

A cautionary tale for The Cadets

A few weeks ago, I presented an explanation of a force behind the design concepts - both good and bad -of our favorite drum and bugle corps. The secret DCI Prop Bag ritual, as you are all aware by now, is held every September to determine which prop will be used by which corps in the upcoming season.

If you are unfamiliar with the original breaking story, please read the following thread: http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/inde...howtopic=116087

Through the significant input of the very members of DCP, we have established that every corps has, to some degree, been impacted by the prop grab bag. I thank all of my new friends on the DCP for contributing. Now, we will address some apparent inconsistencies that have arisen from the prop bag.

Problems with the Prop Bag Ritual:

Some corps have taken extreme liberties with the supposed “one corps - one prop” ratio that should be expected from a grab bag. The Cadets 2006 show provides a perfect example. How could one corps emerge from the Prop Bag with a door, a bunny suit, a mad hatter outfit, an orange hard hat, a lounge singer, and enough scaffolding to paint the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel? We must look to history for the answer.

Our quest begins with Star of Indiana. There has been much debate about Star of Indiana over the years, although no one has legitimate grounds to question the talent or creativity of one of the few corps to claim a DCI championship. Let’s examine two of their shows.

Patriotic Show, 1992:

For all of Star’s relative talents, we must admit that they were not shy to dip from the Prop Bag. Let’s see…There’s the Circus Show (elephant suit), a couple of Roman shows (raise your golden chalice, anyone?), and of course, the Patriotic Show of 1992. I saw this show in Nashville (the first ever Preview of Champions) a few weeks before finals, and I loved it. Star of Indiana won the competition hands down and appeared a lock for their second consecutive title.

But as Star performed the same show at Finals, and I wondered, “What the **** happened? Did they rob a patriotic Five and Dime store?” Flags, shiny stars, red and blue guard skirts from an elementary school pageant, and of course, the tapestries…wheat fields, the Statue of Liberty, and the final giant screen-print of a flag that was ultimately lifted in place by the Army Corps of Engineers.

Subtle, it was not. Performed to near perfection? Absolutely. So what did Star of Indiana do as an encore?

Medea, 1993:

The very next year, Star of Indiana performed a show unlike any before it, a show that is still debated on these very boards. The contrast to 1992 is as stark as the uniforms on their backs. It was as if the entire show had been shot on a monochrome film. Poles without flags, uniforms without color, music and movement without prop (well, almost…though the scalene triangle is a tough one to build a show around). It was a brilliant achievement in minimalist design.

The Fight for the Balance of Power:

I can now report for the first time that the design of the 1993 Medea show was formed as much from necessity as it was from creativity.

My sources report a great deal of grumblings within the halls of DCI after the 92’ Prop Bag Ritual. Said Mr. Hopkins of the Cadets of Bergen County: “I’ll take my airplane propellers and run them up his ***. They have flagrantly abused the Prop Bag standard.” Mr. Hopkins was apparently upset about the disproportionate allocation of props for the 1992 season. Between Star of Indiana and Velvet Knights, it is a miracle that any other corps were allowed to use props at all. And Mr. Hopkins, who is never shy to petition for change, began a grass roots call for retribution.

Apparently, there was quite a scene at the 93’ prop bag draw. Mr. Hopkins and his loyal subjects sprung a few rules changes to the ceremony that have forced a shift in the activity since the 1993 season. Instead of “One prop per corps”, the prop bag ceremony is now subject to a sordid list of rules, not unlike the NFL draft (the half of you that follow football will surely understand…but for the rest of you that don’t understand the NFL and its draft, consider that the big patch of grass at the stadium was originally designed for football…look it up, you might be surprised).

The Prop Bag Rules were amended in September 1992 as follows:

1. Any corps may utilize any prop it has previously used in a show at any future show. This was a godsend for Pioneer, and it explains the reappearance of the Door in Cadets 2006.

2. Corps may trade for chances in the grab bag. The trade may be for future picks. Or, it may be for any other item of value, such as equipment and supplies, or even the trading of instructional staff.

3. A corps may take as many picks as it wants, PROVIDED IT IS STRIPPED OF FUTURE PROP BAG PICKS until the prop bag debt is repaid.

When faced with the unexpected loss of his precious props, Star of Indiana’s director exploded. As he stormed out of the room, he yelled, “Fine, Hoppy, do what you want. If Star has to march naked, then we’ll still march circles around your ***. And I’ll bet my eighth grade daughter could design a show better than yours.”

The consequences of that fateful event are now readily apparent. Star of Indiana decided to go to Broadway, a land of unfettered props, after the 1993 season. And the Velvet Knights, bless them, have not sniffed the top twelve since then.

A Bold Prediction for the Holy Name Cadets:

I do not believe that the Cadets will be packing for Broadway any time soon, nor will they likely ever miss the top 12. But I offer a prediction that the Holy Name Cadets will be forced to provide a no frills, classic drum corps show in 2009, 2010, and 2011. Based on the excesses of 2006, The Cadets were already in a prop bag deficit to equal Star or VK before the 2008 season. And yet, in the face of such a deep hole, Mr. Hopkins still proceeded to draw a Rooms-to-Go gift card for 2008. This deficit is now so large that Mr. Hopkins will not even be allowed to attend the Prop Bag Ceremony again until 2012. I just hope they don’t have to march naked. If the DVD’s go Blue Ray next year, that could be an unpleasant sight.

Now you know.

Up next: The Prop Bag Ceremony for the 2009 season will be taking place in September. Stay tuned, as your input will be needed.

To quote Peter Griffin, "WHAT THE H#LL IS THIS??!!!" LOL...