How many DCI titles would Star have if they were still around?

Hope you don't mind my quoting you...couldn't bring myself to quote that. Signature about BD was good enough for me. I totally disagree about BD. Not only the class of the activity on the business side and arguably the best on the field, but...well, maybe not classy, but certainly not a bunch of bad guys in retreat, etc. Sounds like somebody is a little bit bitter?

And I am not associated with BD, so hopefully my saying so means something.

look... the op had goofy-### english. i'm sorry if i offended the dcp community at large by telling him so.

as far as my signature is concerned: i haven't heard ONE good story about the blue devils, as far as corps-to-corps interaction, since the 90s.

not one.

not.

one.

it's all bad.

which wouldn't be a big deal, except that i've never heard of anybody saying they had a bad experience with some vanguard members, or cadet members, or anybody else. it's all focused on the blue devils, aside from the finals 08 retreat fiasco. and all the while, blue devils fans/alumni/administration are constantly talking about how classy they are.

on topic: if star were still here today, i estimate they would have about four titles. i get a sneaking suspicion they would go unrewarded because of their show design, unless they had a year where they were blatantly better than everyone else, which i imagine would happen every three or four years.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:tongue: Very good. Very good. Just had to quote you. Your ego obviously needs it. Love the attitude.

Let's see. 15 years. I'm willing to go out on a limb and say that Star was pretty much the class of the activity when they left. One of you pointed out that BD benefited the most from their departure. How many crowns does BD have since 94? Star would have been the favorite for 94 obviously, and BD 94 would not have been BD 94 as we now know them.

See...Cavies have all 7 titles since Star won their first. Let's just say for arguments' sake that Star takes two from each of BD, Cavies and Cadets and now has 7 crowns (including 91). That's minimum, btw. And just IMHO.

BD has 6 titles since 94. Cavies won 6 of their 7 titles after Star's departure. 1st title was in 92.

Don't feel the need to speculate on the # of championships, but I'll say 8-9 brass trophies since 93.

In before cowtown. :tongue: He is gonna bring the Star hate, so good luck knowing you buddy. :tongue:

There is no way to tell whether Star would have won zero or fifteen titles. All that can be safely said is that they would have been a major player each year.

But I will disagree with OP who said that BD's brass lines benefited from Star's departure. BD took the Ott the year Star won ('91) and they tied in '93. The missing link was percussion. Scott Johnson took over the line in 1994 - their line had a disastrous year in 1991 (the year Johnson collected a high drum trophy with Vanguard) and had average years in 92 and 93. Another poster talked about Todd Ryan, who also began as BD's Visual Caption head in '94. He came from Star and may not have left (but he may have) if Star had continued to perform DCI. Whether or not the addition of SJ alone in '94 could have improved the corps to the point where they would have contended for the title again is interesting to speculate, but of course ultimately moot.

Edited by mfrontz

Star threw in the towel years ago and abandoned Drum Corps, so it really doesn't matter.

Its fun, don't be such a square...if it doesn't really matter to you , DON'T POST.

I think about Star and how they would placing in the 2000s. I would love to see what they would have come up with!

The speculation always makes for an interesting post. As far as the number of championships they would have won,...no idea. I'm sure their design staff would have continuously worked to push the envelope right up to the breaking point...if not beyond it. Perhaps the activity would have advanced faster...who knows.

However, I do want to address one thing that was mentioned about Brass lines...and yes, I'm extremely biased. But, I'll try to limit my comments to an objective observation...as well as I can anyhow.

Star, under the expert tutelage of Jim Prime and Donnie Van Doren, produced some of the best hornlines ever...particularly during their last four years. However, I will mention that the BD hornlines during that period were also of a very high caliber. In both '91 and '93, BD and Star wrestled with the brass caption and ended up splitting the Jim Ott Award at Finals. Had Star continued to tour, I have no doubt whatsoever that they would have produced some incredible hornlines, and possibly taken many Jim Ott Awards. However, it is important to mention that BD's horn staff would have remained relatively consistent in the face of such a scenario. Therefore, the quality of the hornlines during the intervening period would have continued to be of a very high-caliber. I imagine that in such a scenario, Star and BD would have traded off tenths of a point in the caption over the course of many seasons. I'm also sure that some of the members that marched BD during the 90s and 00s may have marched Star instead.

Ultimately, I'm just saying that there would have been two incredibly talented hornlines performing out here; and I'm not implying that the other top Corps don't produce great hornlines as well, they certainly do. Just that hornlines would have probably been something that both Corps were known for...sort of their signature trademark. It would have definitely made for some interesting competition. But, I certainly don't think that BDs brass program would have "collapsed" or "suffered greatly" with the continued existence of the Star hornline. Would have just made for some great shows, and some intense brass competition come finals night...IMH(but somewhat biased)O.

Big Star fan BTW.

Edited by ssgt94

In both '91 and '93, BD and Star wrestled with the brass caption and ended up splitting the Jim Ott Award at Finals.

BD took horns in '91 by virtue of the GE Brass tie-break in place at that time.

Now back to the topic: I'm sure there would have been some great shows and it would be foolish to not think they would have won at least one more title, but BD, Cadets, Cavies, Phantom, and SCV would still have been just as good. Would Star's presence made them better? I do not think so. Even though Star is gone there is still plenty of competition (not just from these five). Star. like lots of corps that have come and gone, are missed.