Funniest Staff Comments/Rants on Tour

From the top of the stands during rehersal...

"What a FIDIOT!"

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

warm up in 05 we were asked to do a exercise air and valve. Brass tech starts and sure enough several ppl honk out a notes. We stop tech says " air and valve". we start again... "HONK" Tech ask who it was, kid raise hand. Tech says "everyone put your horns down and go touch the road". Last person gets back. Tech says " once again AIR AND VALVE" We start... "HONK"... same kid. Tech tells him to run and go say hi to the drumline. We all wait till he got back with are horns up. We start again same kid honks out a note. Tech say "what the #### kid... everybody put you horn down...kid go run and tell Chris (perc. caption head)

your a f'ing idiot" We all watch him run as we all laugh are butts off... kids get back we try to start again but can't because we are still laughing.

this past summer during every days i was having one of those days where you seem to f up everything. We were learning some changes to the ballad. we run the rep i f everything up i think i even started with my right foot (p.s. i marched a corps that starts with the left) . Lets say my name is Bob

Box:

Bob, are you white?

Me:

No!!!???

Box:

Are you French Canadian?

Me:

NO!!!???

Box:

Is you name "Gilles"? (drill writer)

Me:

No...

Box:

Then can you stop making up your own drill???

At the time i was mad but now i can laugh about it because that part of the ballad became a scatter/ improve section.

Edited by Bob05

As many people know, 1989 was a strange and unique year for Regiment. Things were going very well on tour, except for one thing.

Our retreat tune was horrible.

At that time, we would play National Emblem March. Most of the corps treated playing the piece like a joke. The discrepancy between New World and National Emblem was becoming more obvious to the audience and the increasingly embarassed staff. Finally Dan Farrell, who was brass caption head, decided enough was enough.

We had a rehearsal day in Ohio. The hornline was in its warm-up arc. Dan decided to change things a bit. He asked the hornline to play National Emblem. As soon as the last sour note was released, he pointed to one of the 3rd sops. Sure enough, he slopped his way through about half of it before giving up.

As anyone who marched in Regiment, you know that Dan never lost temper. He just became...very...intense. At this point, his gaze could cut steel.

He takes a deep breath and says "You see that fence?" The fence in question was one that surrounded the school and all the athletic fields. The fence was easily a mile around. The sop player nodded. Dan said, "I want you to run around this fence and THINK about how you will play that piece tomorrow with no mistakes." He starts running. Dan then turns and says to the hornline, "Ladies and gentlemen, I will be checking again tomorrow. For everytime someone cannot play National Emblem, I will double the amount of running done."

By the next day, the hornline had National Emblem memorized.

I remember that. I also remember several of the vet sops "motivating" the kid who shall remain nameless to learn it overnight.

I had a long running battle with Bob Smith in my 5 years at Regiment (which Bob NEVER won)

The guy was a fountain of quotable hilarity.

SOunds like to scored a copy of the quote book from 90.

I still have the original in my closet

Wow...that's kinda ###### actually. I've seen my fair share of yelling, and even insults, but that would cross my line. Just sayin...

On tour one summer, we were in Jersey and had some down time at the show site so several of us walked over to watch the end of Cadets rehearsal.

We watched as Sylvester lined the corps up on the 50 and had a kid walk behind him with a garbage can.

He took the first kids dot book, leafed thru it, then threw it in the garbage can.

Moved to the next kid, same deal.

and so on and so on

On tour one summer, we were in Jersey and had some down time at the show site so several of us walked over to watch the end of Cadets rehearsal.

We watched as Sylvester lined the corps up on the 50 and had a kid walk behind him with a garbage can.

He took the first kids dot book, leafed thru it, then threw it in the garbage can.

Moved to the next kid, same deal.

and so on and so on

Eh, throwing away a dotbook because it is improperly done isnt the same as tearing one in half on the spur of the moment. Im sure those kids had plenty of warnings and deadlines about their dotbooks, just like most corps. Im sure sully can be crazy sometimes, but I doubt he was throwing away dotbooks at random...

Here's two from the Sun Devils Drum Corps

Mark Cole- "The Hits are on 1, 2, 3 and...."

Me- "4!"

Mark Cole- "I'm going to kill you and It's not going to be fast and painless. It's going to be slow and you're going to enjoy it"

"50% Means Volume not Accuracy!" - Mark Cole

Keith Hallas this summer.

i still havent understood this one from keith.

you guys sound like a cardboard box