2000s - New Era of Phenomenal Hornlines

I'm suprised no one mentioned 2003 Phantom. Also, I'm not 100% sure about 08 Crown. Don't get me wrong, their brass was astounding, but I just wonder if they could play with that same sound with less horns.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm suprised no one mentioned 2003 Phantom. Also, I'm not 100% sure about 08 Crown. Don't get me wrong, their brass was astounding, but I just wonder if they could play with that same sound with less horns.

They did. Their hornline was split in two for a portion of 1812 Overture, and it still sounded great. Also, during their ballad about half the hornline put down their horns to do body movements, and again they sounded as if nobody was missing.

I'm wondering exactly what you mean..... DCI set the limit on numbers, not Crown. Are you implying they had an UNFAIR advantage? Do you mean could they play as LOUD with less horns? What do you MEAN?????? :thumbup:

Edited by Crowncontramom

I think he just meant that he wonders if the sound would have been as full with a smaller hornline, as Crown's line was probably the largest on the field this year. Having seen them rehearse and noting the parts of the show mentioned above in which the hornline is split, I don't think the sound would have been different, just without quite as much volume. It wasn't a negative comment or a dig at Crown. And yes, DCI set the membership limit, but each corps determined how to use those numbers - Crown chose to have a huge hornline. Other corps had noticeably larger guards, or some more percussion.

That being said, I would like to ask a question that may be an interesting one. Does anyone have any thoughts as to the performance of open class/division 2/3 corps hornlines in the 2000s? What were some of the strongest. This interests me a lot since I have taught many small marching bands over the years and always took pride in having a 24 member hornline that could be as full (maybe not as loud) and as clean as an 80 member hornline from the next town over. I know the same principles don't always apply in drum corps, but what do we think about the smaller hornlines?

I'm suprised no one mentioned 2003 Phantom.

I like PR, however, I did not think they sounded good in 03. I know, everyone and their mom goes ape@#%$ ####### nuts for that show, but I was not moved by that hornline at all.

Edited by Phirefenix

The only problem with moving them up to 2nd that I have is even after for being stationary for so much of the show (it really is an obscene amount), they start bailing out at the end of show. With all the rest time in the show, they really should not have had any endurance issues at the end. Another problem is that much of the harder playing was restricted to small ensembles/solo's while the hornline was tacet. There was just too much to pick at to have them be any higher. Cadets were very good no doubt, but people fail to see why they placed as low as they did.

Yeah, I have to clock in on this on too. You're welcome to your own opinion and I can see that being an opinion when you have The Cadets at a possible 2nd. When you put them third though, there's something you are blatantly trying to not see.

I would like to point out one thing with the brass scores that year. The Cadets and Blue Devils went head to head almost every show that year. The Cadets won brass EVERY show for almost the last month, except for Finals and Semis. Plus, when they won those shows in brass it was usually around half a point (basically, not even close).

To my ears (my opinion) it's not even close to who should have won brass that year. I LOOOVE BD horn lines, but they weren't in the same ball park that year. I can feel safe putting BD 04 up over Cadets 01, but not BD 01. No way, no how.

After reading a couple of earlier posts concerning the 2001 Cadets hornline, I just figured I'd say that I thought the brass trophy recipients in 2000 and 2001 should have been flipped. BD was pristine in 2000, and the Cadets 2001 hornline blew everybody else out of the water that year, in my opinion.

Though I think the recent design tactics have been questionable--okay, last year was beyond questionable--I think that they are really the hornline to beat year in and year out. That's not how the numbers play out a lot of the time, no, but they're often the best in this fan's eyes.

After reading a couple of earlier posts concerning the 2001 Cadets hornline, I just figured I'd say that I thought the brass trophy recipients in 2000 and 2001 should have been flipped. BD was pristine in 2000, and the Cadets 2001 hornline blew everybody else out of the water that year, in my opinion.

Many of us that marched those years and some of the staff from those years would agree with you.

Michael Terry

Cadets baritone 2000-2007

That's worth much more than 2 cents, my friend.

I must have missed the pay scale for posts on DCP.

i don't like derailing topics, but i can't let this pass.

being "stationary" has nothing to do with the brass score. a hornline could theoretically stand in an arc and play their show and win brass.

there were exactly three small ensembles in the show. the members of these ensembles were chosen based on what the drill dictated.

ever tried to balance a ballad when the horns are spread 20 to 20 and front to back while doing guard work and lying on the ground? think that's not demand?

you never even mention in your quest to prove demand that the line successfully played in four different styles and performed one of the most dense brass books this decade. if you can't hear the fireworks in this show, you just aren't trying.

back on topic: the hornlines are getting better because the horns are musical instruments now! amazing!

You should have let it pass because you are wrong.

The brass judge does take into account the demand placed on the individual in all aspects.

Have I ever tried to balance a hornline spread across the field? Why yes I have, thank you for asking.

Again there is no excusing the fact that the hornline lost it's quality and control at the end of the show.

You may disagree with my statements, but realize you're also disagreeing with the judges from that season too, as all of the points I made previously were constantly pointed out all season long by the judging panels.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Oh, and did you just try telling me the visual doesn't matter when taking into account the brass performance, and then bring up how hard it is to balance and play well while spread across the field and doing choreography? Contradict yourself much?

Edited by DevTrev