An Idea

I thought the Cadets deal in 1996 was cool. I mean, world exposure to the activity, how could it be wrong. Was it less than traditional in what we want people to think of the activity, sure, but it was there, and attention was on it.

If Garfield had been allowed to do their field show, or even a standstill of it, as 27th was at the Lake Placid closing ceremonies in 1980, that would have been exposure to the activity. As it was, it became world exposure to a group in the activity doing their best with questionable material that was far outside the standard of the activity. The difference is the difference, to me. I've never thought that any old exposure was necessarily good for the activity, that's all. The guy who said "There's no such thing as bad publicity" was probably an agent working for whoever he said it to.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to be a nay-sayer, but I don't think you want any part of the Opening Ceremonies. My old roommate from college explained part of it this way. You stand around in the heat for 9 hours waiting for you turn to line up and go in. He spoke with some of the girls who were on the Fencing team in Athens back in '04. That's what they had to put up with. This year, the women's sabre squad and some of the other fencers involved in the first day of the games did not march in the ceremonies. ...oh, and by the way...the women's sabre team SWEPT the medals in the event. (his daughter took the bronze)

olys_035.jpg

Your old roomate is Becca Ward's father?? Small world....I think BOTH her parents post on Fencing.net all the time...if you talk to him again, tell him Purple Fencer says HI (trust me...he'll recognize the name!)

US fencing did VERY well this time around...only Italy won more medals (US 6 to Italy's 7)...we swept the medals in individual sabre, took bronze in team sabre (a shame...we were expected to take gold), and silver in women's team foil and sabre.

Between these games and the gold/bronze in Athens, we took more fencing hardware home than the last 50 years of Olympics combined!

BTW - congrats to the women's sabre squad. Who says it's a lost art?! :lol:

Never was a lost art....in fact, membership in teh US has been growing over the years...as have our successes intermationally./ A lot of it can be attributed to a bunch of east euro coaches coming to the US after the fall of the Wall...and funny how every Russian coach sounds EXACTLY the same! :thumbup:

Never was a lost art....in fact, membership in teh US has been growing over the years...as have our successes intermationally./ A lot of it can be attributed to a bunch of east euro coaches coming to the US after the fall of the Wall...and funny how every Russian coach sounds EXACTLY the same! :lol:

'Lost art' was meant to be a bit of subtle drum corps humor - perhaps a bit too subtle. :lol: Just felt the need to clarify. Something tells me it's not a good idea to squabble with a fencer.

:thumbup:

'Lost art' was meant to be a bit of subtle drum corps humor - perhaps a bit too subtle. :lol: Just felt the need to clarify. Something tells me it's not a good idea to squabble with a fencer.

:thumbup:

Heh...sorry....but you have to remember that fencing is as much a niche sport as drum corps is....there are STILL people who believe that my sabres have a sharp edge and my foils and epees have sharp points!!!

No baseball or softball,

but we do have:

Unicycle air gun balloon shooting

Left handed somersault mat twirling

Mesopotamian five way wrestling

Fifty person rowing skulls

elephant polo

fishing

scrabble

Bulgarian biathalon

If Garfield had been allowed to do their field show, or even a standstill of it, as 27th was at the Lake Placid closing ceremonies in 1980, that would have been exposure to the activity. As it was, it became world exposure to a group in the activity doing their best with questionable material that was far outside the standard of the activity. The difference is the difference, to me. I've never thought that any old exposure was necessarily good for the activity, that's all. The guy who said "There's no such thing as bad publicity" was probably an agent working for whoever he said it to.

If memory serves me, the Cadets did do their field show in its entirety at the Olympics - and on a field with no lines or hash marks - and then did the humor bit with Bill Irwin afterward.

If memory serves me, the Cadets did do their field show in its entirety at the Olympics - and on a field with no lines or hash marks - and then did the humor bit with Bill Irwin afterward.

And with none of their set pieces, either....

Dot??? WHAT dot???

Edit: I went to that site that shall not be named and found the broadcast video....they started playing at the "Red Pony" segment, so they didn;t do the whole program.

Edited by 84BDsop

How cool would it be to see corps from all over the US participate in the opening ceremonies after DCI Finals? Imagine leaving Indianapolis (if DCI is there in 2016) heading to the stadium for the Opening ceremonies for rehearsal. Then DCI in front of THE WORLD!

I know it's a cool idea but some may find fault.

DCI should send a video of "America The Beautiful" from this year's retreat as an audition tape.