Has DCI lost the blue collar fan?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was just thinking about the people I knew in the 70's involved in corps compared to today's.

Any thoughts?

The real question should be, "has DCI lost the blue collar fan's children"? Probably aren't to many regular Joes out there who can afford to give their child the opportunity, especially in this economy. As DCI becomes more elitist, yes they will, and likely ARE losing the blue collar fan.

depends. Yes, live shows are becoming expensive, but a majority of folks have internet access now, and with the (slow yet relevent) rise of online digital media and DCI's inaugural successful run of the Fan Network (not counting years prior... I know they were there, different name, different system, and really wasn't all that good, dubbed "BETA" in my book) where only a single subscription gives access to both video and audio on-demand, the not so cash fortunate fan base still has the opportunity to be fans without gushing out hundreds of dollars to do so.

Different experience for a different generation of fans, but the exposure is still there...

Yes DCI is catering to a select group, most likely unintentionally. Blue collar fans might not be able to afford to go to even a small show and even the online stuff comes at a price a little high for a luxury to some. I don't think they have lost them yet, but I do think its on the decline. And face it, many many fans are so after being involved in some way. So when less blue collar kids are involved, less blue collar fans.

I don't know about this. I mean if they do it might be because they don't relate to the art form as much as they used to. However, ticket prices are all relative. have you been to a baseball game lately? I went saw the Cards play in Busch stadium and that was expensive, yet there were plenty of Blue Collar folks there. Forget about Fenway I could not get friggin' bench seats on Stub Hub for under 99.00, so I am thinking if it is losing the blue collar person it is is not necessarily because of ticket price which is relatively speaking a bargain.

True about sports games... but remember the difference for the causal fan. Maybe a diehard fan would choose Phantom Regiment over the Cubs, but the casual fan I dunno. As far as the music, maybe it is a drive to the more abstract art form that is a turnoff? No longer the same old fun, now its like a broadway show? Just guessin

Yes and no.

Yes - because there are less corps, less marketing to the areas that traditionally sponsored corps, and as a family activity - less corps means less people involved. They are not getting the message out to the local music programs. With "real" brass instruments - the musicians are playing "real" music.

No - because people that want to stay involved, find a way to attend. I suspect they are going to less contests, because there are less shows in most areas. I go to Allentown every year with my buddies. It's 400 miles each way - and we make a weekend out of it. But we can only do it once a year.

Yours is a most interesting question to ponder.

If you ask this follow-up question:

Would an unsuspecting resident of any community hosting a show (maybe someone like your own neighbor) be very likely to give it a try at today's admission price?

I'm thinking, NO.

for what it's worth, ill just use this thread to mention that a good number of my (somewhat curious) friends decided not to go with me to the 4 dci events i attended this year because the ticket prices at the shows were too high.

I think alot more of the problem is the gas prices more than the ticket prices. Tickets to the Madison show were very reasonable this year, especially when you consider there were 19 corps there. I think the biggest problem is the lack of shows in a centralized area. It used to be living in Iowa City, I could attend approximately 18 shows, all within a 3 1/2 hour drive. Now, over half of those shows are gone. In order to attend 18 shows, I would have to drive at least 10 hours for 3 of them. I think gas prices have lost more fans than ticket prices. Also, the motels are much more expensive than the tickets are as well, for someone going for the entire week of finals.

And yes, I think you have completely changed personnel from the 70's. Most kids were local, and the expenses of touring weren't so high. Lack of corps today changes it first, as alot of kids could audition in a town within an hour or 2. Today, kids have to travel alot further to find the nearest corps. And since corps aren't localized anymore, they pick their favorite corps, rather than the nearest corps, and that really changes the focus on who participates. Also, as an auditionee, if someone lives in a town where there is a top 8 corps, and they are very new to band and corps, chances are they aren't going to be able to make that corps. So in order to march they are also going to have to travel farther to audition.

I think the activity as a whole has changed, some good changes, some bad changes. And yes, the fan base is probably changing as well. Going to a show, and taking a day off of work these days can cost you over $200 for one person. And that may not include a hotel for that night if you stay over.