From inside Phantom Regiment Headquarters

I'm overage.

And they don't make leather in my size. Well, the cattle did, but that was before it got cut up.

i'm quite sure the chinese government could easily "find" documentation of your being of age. that's kinda what they're known for.

i'm also very sure i can find an old leather sofa or two and have them sewn together. ;)

Edited by chaos001

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if there's a 12-step program for recovering from drum corps addiction? :tongue:

Yes, you have to teach 12 classes of how to play the oboe to fourth graders!

Romeo & Juliet. Period.

Fits the Faust/Spartacus model--you can even throw in a bunch of variations on the music model. A little bit of Tchaik. A little bit of Berlioz. A little bit of non-associated music. Heck, even a little bit of Bernstein WSS! How's that for stealing a little bit of Cadets thunder?

And with the whole obsession with playing music the corps has done before, it rehashes a previous offering as well, but with a completely new 2000's slant al la Faust and Spartacus.

PLEASE don't ever take up New World again. PLEASE!

Oh, and IIRC, the followed up Spartacus I with Spartacus II last time around. Just sayin'!

i'm quite sure the chinese government could easily "find" documentation of your being of age. that's kinda what they're known for.

i'm also very sure i can find an old leather sofa or two and have them sewn together. ;)

I was in China in June. I should have asked, but I think too many people know who I am.

As for the offer of the sofas...uh...no thanks. I'm trying to get down to an ottoman.

an all schoenberg show?

Well, Rick will know what to do. When we marched together in Santa Clara, the first year was the "prep" year and the second year was the winner.

'84-85 Santa Clara

'86-87 Santa Clara

'88-89 Santa Clara

'81-82 Regiment

'08-09 Regiment

Repeat the show, with minor rewrites. Refine. Focus. Repeat national title.

"Breathtaking, absolutely breathtaking. I know enough to know that I have just seen it all."

I left the stadium after Regiment's quarterfinals performance.

There simply was nothing more to see.

I'd say no to 1812 - its been done, and it really has no emotional build.

I'd say do a show entitled Brunhilde and Siegfried - focusing on the music from Walkure, Siegfried and Gotterdammerung - Open with Ride of the Walkure - assigning the 8 separate walkure entrances to brass solos all over the field ending in a ring formation. The forging aria would be a great percusion feature. You'd also get the finale of the Siegfried love duet (as Anna Russell puts it - anything you can sing, I can sing louder - if you don't know Anna Russell's ring analysis - there is a video on the site that dare not state its name), Siegfried's Rhine journey, the funeral music and the imolation scene. Plenty of deaths in the final scenes. I was excited to see them do the ring in 97 (especially after attending the Ring cycle at the Met), but it didn't work. With a mixed guard, they could do lots of things they couldn't in 97 - (i.e. carry Siegfried's body off the field during the funeral march).

Did anyone notice the pit were playing on what sounds like COWBELLS for the second atonal / chaotic movement in Spartacus 08?

Well, in 09, I say: MORE COWBELL!

Edited by RickCogley

Did anyone notice the pit were playing on what sounds like COWBELLS for the second atonal / chaotic movement in Spartacus 08?

Those would be almglocken. :)

What about Michael Daugherty's Metropolis Symphony? I've always wanted either Phantom or SCV to tackle this. It would definitely be moving in a new direction. Yes, I know it's based on Superman. But, whether you like that or not, it's awesome music - lots of drive, lots of emotion, and lots of sections that could be VERY effective on the field.