Are electronics driving people away?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We already have non-acoustic sounds coming from amps, and it's not like we'll start hearing clarinet and saxophone sounds coming out of these synths...I don't really see what the big deal is.

Not a real sax through an amp or a sampled sax sound.

But how close to a sax sound can they get using a synth without it technically being a sax sound? (or flute, clarinet, oboe, violin, cello, etc.)

Well, if the person leaving is driving a hybrid such as a Prius, yes, I agree. :tongue:

:tongue::tongue::tongue::doh::doh::doh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

with the use of narration slowing, i'm giving it a chance. but if people go nuts with synths and mic'd brass is painful, it may drive me back away

I'm willing to approach elecs with an open mind, although my patience won't be infinite.

Just a few days ago I was showing a friend a few shows off Fan Network and The Site That Must Not Be Named. He doesn't have a band background, but has done a lot of musical theatre, so he's into music performance. In particular, I showed him SCV '91--the helicopter roll freaked him out--and, of course, '08 Phantom.

When seeing the first murder and hearing that metallic scrape when the actual "stabbing" occurs, he quickly asked, "Is that electronics?" No, I said--it's amplified, but that's a percussion effect created in the pit. Electronics, I said sadly, will be next year.

"That's a bummer," he said. "It's so much cooler when this stuff is done without synthesizers."

Given his background, I imagine I could get him to a drum corps show without a whole lot of effort. Whether he will like what drum corps becomes next year is a different story.

I'm willing to approach elecs with an open mind, although my patience won't be infinite.

I'm pro-electronics, but the miked brass thing has me worried. At any of the band shows I've worked, I don't like the sound of miked instruments (woodwinds, mostly) at all. It sounds tinny and ....well..... not good. LOL.

Plus, I've never had a problem hearing a drum corps brass soloist or ensemble, without microphones. So regarding this particular rules change...I gotta wonder.

Fran