What was your “first” Drum Corps show?

1982- Bayonne Show. Friend of my Mom's was driving BD's staff bus that year. (She grew up in Convord) Invited us to the show. Iwas in awe at 10 years old. Told my Mom I was gonna do that when I grew up. (I was 10 and didn't play anything so evrybody kinda shrugged it off) Wound up marching Surf in 1991 (founding mamber) and Crossmen in 92 & 93. Then taught Surf 94-99 where I met my wife. I always tell Bill (Bus driver) if it wasn't for him I wouldn't be where I am today. Maried with two great kids and a Band Director.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The first show I saw, was the first show I was in. Cary, NC, June 26th (ish) 1981 with LI Kingsmen. We went on first. 2 young horn rookies led the corps on the field........marching up the 45 to the opening set. EXCEPT, we were supposed to be on the 50!! I don't remember anything else about our performance.

We finished the show, put our equipment in the retreat block and went back into the stadium. I know I didn't get to see Defenders but then North Star came on. Then Spirit, Bridgemen and finally 27th. I fell in love with 27th from that moment. I was so amazed by that show - Crown Imperial, Niner Two........and the guard was so awesome. I will always remember 81 as a great drum corps season.

I eventually march in 27th for 2 years. I also marched senior corps for 8 years. Met my wife in drum corp ( however, that didn't work out). My daughter marched winter guard last year and wants to go back again. I'm proud of her.

Drum corps gave me incredible memories, friends that I have cherished for over 25 years now, and a precious daughter.

What you said!

1981 Cary was my first live competition too. I loved every corps in the show and was hooked for life. The 27th Lancers were my first favorite corps. Met my wife throgh drum corps too.......hope to be a drum corps dad before too much longer.

I had heard a little about drum corps and been around marching band my whole life. When a friend of mine decided he WAS going to march spartans ( he ended up quitting by march), i figured i would go with him and give it a shot. 2007 Spartans, What a choice!. We ended up winning division 2 ;). I didn't have a chance to see any other corps till 3 or 4 shows into the season. The first show i saw was Phantom Regiment, On Air. It was then that i KNEW i was going to finish that season. Up until then i still wasn't sure why i was there. After seeing that show, tears rolled down my eyes and i knew that i had found my place. That show still gives me chills to watch!

Edited by josh161

It all started as a crush on a boy. Yep. And I still see him from time to time at shows. I finally admitted to him that it was all his fault I joined our high school marching band, and not only did that lead to my drum corps experience, it eventually led to meeting my husband and finding my way into a job that I totally love. So, thanks J.B. (not that he's on DCP, but he is owed it.)

Anyway, I really liked the guy and I joined band because he was a drummer. No, I never did score a date with him, but another drummer in the band talked me into joining the Nighthawks. I had never heard of drum corps or seen a show.

I don't know why my mom agreed to let me do this thing, but she was a newly single mom who was basically tossed aside after marrying at 18 and staying that way for 32 years. She had very little experience in the workplace, and I think she was barely able to breathe and get through her very rough days much less tell me no to something I really wanted to do. (god bless you Mom, and thank you. I know you're smiling from heaven.)

The first show I actually saw was during that 1983 season after we got on tour. I don't recall the very first show I ever saw, but I recall the first time I saw SCV. I was mesmerized and completely head over heels in love by the end of their show in Denver. I dreamed of marching there someday, but fate kind of stepped in along the way and I wound up with the Troopers.

So, I guess my "first" show didn't really influence where I wound up marching. But it definitely influenced my desire to KEEP marching.

Edited by TerriTroop

Although I had seen corps in parades, the first contest I remember was 1976 Alton IL. Seneca Optimists, Oakland Crusaders and the drum line that was fantastic, Phantom, Kilties, Blue Stars. Ended up aging out 1980 Guardsmen.

1976 Drums Across America Georgia Tech Grant field (1 year before Spirit of Atlanta). I was hooked and have been to multiple shows each year since without fail. I am a hard corps fan. GO SPIRIT!

The first show I ever watched was Cadets 2005 (it was a bonus video feature on my 2005 USSBA marching band DVD along with Xmen 05). Then I went to a show at Giant's Stadium the following year and I got to see Cavaliers take first place. I also got to see Magic of Orlando and Esperanza which is cool.

Honest to God, I don't remember the first show I attended!!!!

I know it was in 1967.... the summer my older brothers were marching with the Raiders of 88 junior corps from Highland Park, NJ....in the old Garden State circuit.

So my first show was either a Garden State show, or one of the Wildwood NJ states shows.... VFW or AL.

Hey... I was nine years old at the time, for crissakes. We're talking ancient history here. :tongue:

I did end up joining the Raiders of 88 that September... the corps folded a couple of months later. Go figure.

My one brother joined the Manville Sacred Heart Crusaders junior corps, Eastern States circuit... the other enlisted in the Air Force. I ended up with Sacred Heart for my first season marching, in 1971. Too young for the Air Force. :tongue:

Fran

Edited by Fran Haring

1991 Finals. I mean, talk about an historic introduction to DCI! I attended Phantom's public rehearsal after their 1/4's performance, and they rehearsed...IN THE RAIN!!

Now, I was one of those "King Band-O" types in high school. I was INTO marching band. I was INTO All-Region/State, etc. You said BAND and I snapped to attention. So seeing Phantom Regiment at its absolute most exciting best was...magical!

I was hooked from the moment they walked onto the field. I will simply never forget those helmets...wow!! Texas marching bands back then looked like marching bands. When I graduated they began to start looking like...Phantom Regiment! Now? Corps is requisite for MB's.

And the white top to bottom!! Again...wow!! Who wears all white?

Phantom Regiment does.

I was hooked. I HAD to march Phantom Regiment, and if I had it all to do over again, I would have marched all four remaining years in Rockford. Unfortunately, I was only able to march one, but wearing that uniform?

Muwahahaha!! Greatest experience in the world...highly recommended!

SUTA!