Marching was

DCA: Brigadiers / Rochester, NY 2008

Alumni: Bridgemen / Tournament of Stars 2007

DCI: ?? / ??

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I remember, it was a show at La Palma Stadium, I believe it was sponsored by the Kingsmen. All the competing corps impressed the heck out of me, however, it was the Kingsmen performance that got me hooked on the activity. I joined a local feeder corps immediately as I was only 13 at the time. Eventually I graduated to the A corps. I stayed with the activity until I was forced to "retire" at the ripe old age of 21. I must admit that my active participation as an alumni member or regular spectator has been somewhat diminished due to the new direction the activity had electred to adopt

within the last few years. Sorry, but that's the truth.

My first show was a La Palma, too. Kingsmen sponsored, but I went because a guy had transferred in to my school that marched VK. I was hooked by the music, and by this new thing called "tri-toms." I didn't think I had the chops yet, but went to several shows over the summer. VK and Kingsmen were trading victories all summer, though the Kingsmen won their final meeting at AL Nationals in Portland, OR. Both lost to this upstart from Santa Clara.

I joined the next fall, playing tenors. Almost died my first parade carrying those tubs. Hollywood Christmas Parade. When you're about 140 pounds, and the drums weigh 65 pounds...well, I thought my back would break. Did three seasons with VK.

Taught VK 79-84, founded a couple of corps, still go when we can, occasional Renegade.

now garry and i are working on the third generation. olivia did her first drum corps gig at four months old. she didn't see a show until 4 months later. poor kid, she's got the bug! if regiment still had their "c" corps....*sigh*

jan

the young ones are never gonna get this post.....

edited because my spelling is stooopid...it's late....

Olivia's nickname at Renegades is Rene-baby after I carried her in the honor guard for the St. Patty's Day parade in 2004. She also rode in the support wagon, in full uniform, for Chinese New Year 2005.

When she was born, the RAMD regulars started debating whether she would be a drummer like Dad or in guard like Mom. Then we threw in Mom's past low brass playing to stir the pot. (Before marching Knights' guard in 82, and Regiment's guard 83-85, Jan auditioned for Regiment on baritone in fall of 78.) One night I found her sleeping with her arms raised over her head and said, "Jan! Come here! Crap, I think we have a DM!"

Where, oh where, are you tonight?

Why did you leave me here all alone.... :worthy:

I searched the world over

And thought I'd found true love

You met another and Phffffft!

You was gone

Hey, Grandpa, what's fer dinner?

:worthy:

Garry in Vegas

Edited by CrunchyTenor

I THINK the first corps I ever saw was the Chelsea Scarlet Lancers. That would have been around 1965. Dad and I watched through a chain link fence. First time from the stands, I saw the Casper Troopers do the rifle toss "through" the drum major and the Sunburst. I was hooked.

My first show was my first show in competition. It was North Star's home opener for the Eastern Mass Circuit.

I was hooked from that day forward, plain and simple! :worthy:

• 3 weeks later...
My first show was my first show in competition. It was North Star's home opener for the Eastern Mass Circuit.

I was hooked from that day forward, plain and simple! :smile:

North Star may have been the 1st competitive corp I've seen. But I'm not sure. So many star corps were there, as usual. It was the 1978 Bayonne Tournament of Stars show, and I was in the feeder corp to the Bridgemen, the Kidets. It was my 1st show seeing and marching (exhibition). I suspect it happened that way for many of us in those days. But 27, North Star, Garfield Cadets, Crossmen, LI Kingsmen were all probably there, as well as others. Being my 1st show, and not really familiar with what other corps were doing (not to mention I was like 13-14 yrs old at the time), I don't remember exactly what I was witness to. But it all sounded so good. Then the Bridgemen introduced their 1978 show. Been brain damaged since. Love that style of DC, from that era. I'm humming or whistling songs from those days up to this day.

My first one was the Moonlight Classic in Stockton in 2003. (yes, from this decade.) Didn't really know much about anything outside of junior high pretty much parade band, and saw SCV do Pathways, and BD come out and knock me three rows back in the stands to the Phenomenon of Cool, changed the game completely. Got really into it, and marched my first show with the Vanguard Cadets in 2007, and 2008.

My first show was a La Palma, too. Kingsmen sponsored, but I went because a guy had transferred in to my school that marched VK. I was hooked by the music, and by this new thing called "tri-toms." I didn't think I had the chops yet, but went to several shows over the summer. VK and Kingsmen were trading victories all summer, though the Kingsmen won their final meeting at AL Nationals in Portland, OR. Both lost to this upstart from Santa Clara.

I joined the next fall, playing tenors. Almost died my first parade carrying those tubs. Hollywood Christmas Parade. When you're about 140 pounds, and the drums weigh 65 pounds...well, I thought my back would break. Did three seasons with VK.

Taught VK 79-84, founded a couple of corps, still go when we can, occasional Renegade.

Olivia's nickname at Renegades is Rene-baby after I carried her in the honor guard for the St. Patty's Day parade in 2004. She also rode in the support wagon, in full uniform, for Chinese New Year 2005.

When she was born, the RAMD regulars started debating whether she would be a drummer like Dad or in guard like Mom. Then we threw in Mom's past low brass playing to stir the pot. (Before marching Knights' guard in 82, and Regiment's guard 83-85, Jan auditioned for Regiment on baritone in fall of 78.) One night I found her sleeping with her arms raised over her head and said, "Jan! Come here! Crap, I think we have a DM!"

I searched the world over

And thought I'd found true love

You met another and Phffffft!

You was gone

Hey, Grandpa, what's fer dinner (SUPPER)?

:smile:

Garry in Vegas

FIxed :smile:

Gloom despair and agony on me

Deep dark depression excessive misery

If it were'nt for bad luck I'd have no luck a 'tall

Gloom despair and agony on me

Edited by Perry S

So guess who popped my drum corps cherry?

The Belles of St. Mary from Rhinelander, WI

That was certainly the goal of every one in the Eau Claire Boys! :smile:

First show was in Endicott, NY in 1971 (I think). We took 5th out of 7 or 8. I believe Squires won and Baltimore's White Knights took second place. As I llok at my youngest son who is eleven, I think what I did back then and I don't think my son would have been able to handle what I did with marching and playing and the long bus rides on school busses. I do remember Bill McGrath Sr. wrote our drill that year and rehearsed with us several times. I also remember the music was written by Danny Oldenberg who just disappeared to go live in a commune or something. He wrote some great music.

I had been watching drum corps videos for about 2 months before band camp started in July. The first Monday, my band director announced that we would be going to Alabama Battle of the Brass on the next Saturday. He passed around a sheet telling which drum corps were going to be there and I was ecstatic when I saw that Madison was. I had no idea how loud a full drum corps was and I was blown back standing in front of Teal Sound's horn line in the parking lot. I knew that the show was going to be awesome. The rest of the night, I was waiting to see Madison and when they finally came onto the field to perform I was so excited. La Noche de la iguana was everything I expected and more. That night I saw, Madison, Santa Clara, Cadets, Spirit, Colts and Teal Sound. After that show is when I finally decided that I want to march drum corps.