Empire's Joey Pero

Empire Statesmen's Joey Pero was ON last night... and now we all have the opportunity to help one of our own ... his debut album will be released in October... Resonance! Watch for it!

I've quite literally known Joey Pero his entire life... it is hard to envision him getting better, but each year he does... the album is/will be amazing... I don't know how he got Phoebe Snow and Nat King Coles brother to be on it with him but it's obviously quite a boost to the album.

Joey's playing on the album - Oh MY! and his playing with Empire Last Night... holy crap!!! each note you say "He didn't really just do that did he?"

The amazing part about Joe Pero is that in so many ways - not to take away from his raw talent and hard work - he is the result of what drum corps cultivated... Joe was so shy and introspective a few years back that it took CONSIDERABLE cajoling by yours truly to get him to walk into Vince Bruni's office and ask to perform... With the Master's guidance (and a little help from people like Wynton Marsalis) Joey has taken off... it's the showmanship that drum corps built into him that will project his career..

What I'm trying to say... is that Joey isn't some pro player that some drum corps paid to play... Joey is one of us... he is the child of drum corps who only tried to please his father who has lived and breathed drum corps all his life. Now that we have created the "monster" that is Joey Pero... we need to support him...

Sign up NOW! www.joeypero.com and get first notice when the album can be purchased... you won't be sorry...

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Empire Statesmen's Joey Pero was ON last night... and now we all have the opportunity to help one of our own ... his debut album will be released in October... Resonance! Watch for it!

I've quite literally known Joey Pero his entire life... it is hard to envision him getting better, but each year he does... the album is/will be amazing... I don't know how he got Phoebe Snow and Nat King Coles brother to be on it with him but it's obviously quite a boost to the album.

Joey's playing on the album - Oh MY! and his playing with Empire Last Night... holy crap!!! each note you say "He didn't really just do that did he?"

The amazing part about Joe Pero is that in so many ways - not to take away from his raw talent and hard work - he is the result of what drum corps cultivated... Joe was so shy and introspective a few years back that it took CONSIDERABLE cajoling by yours truly to get him to walk into Vince Bruni's office and ask to perform... With the Master's guidance (and a little help from people like Wynton Marsalis) Joey has taken off... it's the showmanship that drum corps built into him that will project his career..

What I'm trying to say... is that Joey isn't some pro player that some drum corps paid to play... Joey is one of us... he is the child of drum corps who only tried to please his father who has lived and breathed drum corps all his life. Now that we have created the "monster" that is Joey Pero... we need to support him...

Sign up NOW! www.joeypero.com and get first notice when the album can be purchased... you won't be sorry...

I met Joey in 2004 my first ever DCA championship.He was in a spirited mood that night after ES won the Championship.

My son and I saw Joey out on tour with Maynard Ferguson.I called Joey up to see what time they were pulling into town.Joey said hey why don't you come hear us rehearse.I was pretty floored by that and then I was really floored when he said that he would leave us a pair of comp tickets at the front door. We got to sit front row center and Maynards mic was positioned right towards me.What a amazing concert and Joey was on fire that night.

Chaz was pretty amazed that I actually knew someone in Maynards band and he was even more floored when we got to go out to dinner with Joey and Patrick Hession. Its left a lifetime impression on my son and one I will never forget.

I wish I would have gotten to see Joey tonight but next year is another time.

Good Luck Joey with the new CD.

Tom, very well put.

I also knew Joey when he was that shy, introverted kid.........(what? Joey introverted?, seems unbelievible today.) You are dead on when you say he is a creation of the drum corps fraternity. And he keeps giving back, year after year in many ways that people don't see.

Good luck Joey!

Tom, very well put.

I also knew Joey when he was that shy, introverted kid.........(what? Joey introverted?, seems unbelievible today.) You are dead on when you say he is a creation of the drum corps fraternity. And he keeps giving back, year after year in many ways that people don't see.

Good luck Joey!

As amazing as he is as a brass player, we can't ignore the fact that Joey's inability to march is a black eye on the WNY marching instructor community.

The Empire Statesmen have brought in every possible instructor for Joey. I really thought this would be the year we could get him on the field, but at the last minute, we pulled him from the drill.

But seriously, Joey is a great kid; a child prodigy who didn't exactly just show up at Wynton's door...

His parents deserve the credit.

Most people think that Joey is JUST a screamer, but that is far from the truth. His actual strength, IMHO is his classical playing. It is unbelieveable, the way he plays "legit" stlyles, I heard some jazz stuff on the recordings as well that was also as great as the rest.

Of course he is one of us. His dad marched with me in St. Joes in the 60's and also with Phoenix in the 70's before Joey was born. He was born into a drum corps family, and learned from a lot of drum corps players with his fathers urgings.

I wish nothing but the best for Joey Pero, and I am pretty sure he knows that!

Donny

Most people think that Joey is JUST a screamer, but that is far from the truth. His actual strength, IMHO is his classical playing. It is unbelieveable, the way he plays "legit" stlyles, I heard some jazz stuff on the recordings as well that was also as great as the rest.

Of course he is one of us. His dad marched with me in St. Joes in the 60's and also with Phoenix in the 70's before Joey was born. He was born into a drum corps family, and learned from a lot of drum corps players with his fathers urgings.

I wish nothing but the best for Joey Pero, and I am pretty sure he knows that!

Donny

he is a great player who i look forward to hearing.(oh,and the silver shoes were cool too!) cash cab!

he's a porkchop :thumbup:

but man can he play a horn, and a great guy to boot.

It's always a pleasure to chat with Joey and his wonderful family. Visiting with them is a special part of drum corps for me.

Joey has always been good. From my viewpoint, Joey was incredible this weekend. His notes have even more sizzle.

The CD will be phenomenal based on how Joey has progressed.

Tom, very well put.

Good luck Joey!

Tamm & I saw Joey in probably his last set with Maynard's band in DC. We went to the bar afterward. (It was a late Sunday night gig at Blue's Alley.) I hadn't talked to Joey much before that, but I had run across him once or twice. Tamm had been in ES the year before (their last Championship), so they knew each other very well. I got to know Joey as a member of ES in '05 & '06. Joey is genuine and warm, but still introverted. (He just covers it better now.)

In '05, he and Blick made a very good combination of brass instructors. Blick provided the technique, and Joey provided the groove. Seeing him work up close and personally, it's no wonder that he's as good as he is, and he can only improve. (Scary thought!) He is a master craftsman, and his humbleness is a result of secureness with his talent (along with a whole lot of constant practicing).

We look forward to hearing his debut CD.