New Additions to DCA?

Kansan

Additions to DCA  

116 members have voted

1. 1. Who will graduate from exhibition?

• Masquerade
    • High Country Brass
    • Prairie Sound
    • En Garde
    • Sounds of Philidelphia
    • Austin Stars
    • Derby City Knights
  2. 2. Who will make it to Rochester?

• Sun Devils
    • Derby City Knights
    • Austin Stars
    • Cincinnati Tradition

One other thing...not even DCI has HD content, and they have a HUGE budget for their productions.

It's been stated that the budget DCI has for Video/Web content is bigger then DCA's entire budget.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you're using logic and reason Kyle. how dare you??!!??

:shutup:

My logic as it were is that the 35 rule is bad for DCA. And that is DCA's fault as it's their rule. If only because of threads which turned into this and others.

The logic as it's been presented to me for it's existance.

* To protect corps from over extending themselves by going to DCA.

- IF a corps is bent on going despite their financial abilities, then this rule does NOT protect them. In fact it forces them to over extend further by choosing to rent additional members and equipment to play the numbers game.

* To set a minimum standard.

- Perhaps a valid reason. But I'd rather see other minimums met first. Like a lined field (even if it rains). Photos (even if it rains). Videos (even if it rains). HD media content (pipe dream). And others. --- Completely over look the 1% or more affected negatively by the rule. At 1%, could have had 70 more people (audience) assuming 7,000 attending. From a business perspective, $200 each (on average) in ticket and souvie sales is $14,000 LESS for DCA because of the rule. Which is probably a low ball estimate.

* To appease show sponsors.

- There are other ways to accomplish that without p***ing on ALL small corps in ALL regions.

* To encourage growth.

- As the corps in the void take a larger financial hit in having no performance/transportation funding from DCA show sponsors. Which is encouraged by the rule. And the members of the corps feeling alienated for falling into the void. See over extention above.

* To discourage the formation of smaller corps out of larger corps with challenges.

- It "didn't" work. Anyone wanting and able to form a corps is going to do so, regardless of what the rules are. Smaller corps benefit from other corps strife as much as the larger corps. We should NOT be creating conditions/rules that make strife intentionally.

This IS my point of view. Like it or not. Support it or not. From the outside looking in. As a past member of corps that DO fall into the void. And some of those seasons, before the rule, with a competitive corps of 22-34 members. And as a general "supporter" of drumcorps.

"Nobody knows.... the trouble I've seen....."

You keep on crying foul. Nothing anybody does appeases you, and yet I STILL have yet to see you offer one suggestion; one idea; one sentiment that isn't a bitter complaint. You know all the answers. Tell us, oh Enlightened One... how do we cure cancer?!?!?!?

i want to know who these people are who are bringing guests with them and spending $200 on tickets and souvies!! that just goes along with the other unrealistic expectations and pipe dreams.

Technically it's not my cause. I'm not even planning on marching next season anyway. And if I truly needed to compete I could just as easily add the 10,000 miles to my vehicle and add $800+ in gas to march one of the other corps in my area.

Recruit two people from the city you live, split gas/vehicle usage. Three problems solved. It's something we were told just after just about every camp until June this year, and every camp I was at for Cap Sound in 05, "bring a new person with you." It has many benefits. You may not have everyone you bring stay (heck, I couldn't stay in '05, but one of the folks I brought in did). I have even started trying to get co-workers who I found out might be interested. So, to go back to my earlier statement: bring two people, new/old/otherwise from your area. Three problems go kablooie.

2 more members

Less wear on your vehicle

$534 you saved in gas

Recruit two people from the city you live, split gas/vehicle usage. Three problems solved. It's something we were told just after just about every camp until June this year, and every camp I was at for Cap Sound in 05, "bring a new person with you." It has many benefits. You may not have everyone you bring stay (heck, I couldn't stay in '05, but one of the folks I brought in did). I have even started trying to get co-workers who I found out might be interested. So, to go back to my earlier statement: bring two people, new/old/otherwise from your area. Three problems go kablooie.

2 more members

Less wear on your vehicle

$534 you saved in gas

yes this is so correct.HOWEVER: choose those extra people CAREFULLY! (I speak from experience) :shutup:

My logic as it were is that the 35 rule is bad for DCA. And that is DCA's fault as it's their rule. If only because of threads which turned into this and others.

The logic as it's been presented to me for it's existance.

* To protect corps from over extending themselves by going to DCA.

- IF a corps is bent on going despite their financial abilities, then this rule does NOT protect them. In fact it forces them to over extend further by choosing to rent additional members and equipment to play the numbers game.

or to make a corps look at reality and realize not going to Rochester is not the end all be all of drum corps participation

* To set a minimum standard.

- Perhaps a valid reason. But I'd rather see other minimums met first. Like a lined field (even if it rains). Photos (even if it rains). Videos (even if it rains). HD media content (pipe dream). And others. --- Completely over look the 1% or more affected negatively by the rule. At 1%, could have had 70 more people (audience) assuming 7,000 attending. From a business perspective, $200 each (on average) in ticket and souvie sales is $14,000 LESS for DCA because of the rule. Which is probably a low ball estimate.

and maybe DCA would like to see other minimums as well. Ya know, like a corps with a solid financial game plan. Being smart with money, membership, recruiting, etc.

and for God's sakes, hurricanes arent every day issues. it happened. it's done,. move on.

* To appease show sponsors.

- There are other ways to accomplish that without p***ing on ALL small corps in ALL regions.

they aren't pissing on anyone. Any corps viewing it that way need to look in the mirror, or at least hand that mirror to people who #### and moan online and make their corps look bad.

* To encourage growth.

- As the corps in the void take a larger financial hit in having no performance/transportation funding from DCA show sponsors. Which is encouraged by the rule. And the members of the corps feeling alienated for falling into the void. See over extention above.

yeah, ya know, they cant try and hold a show, do parades, fundraise...stuff every corps out there does.

* To discourage the formation of smaller corps out of larger corps with challenges.

- It "didn't" work. Anyone wanting and able to form a corps is going to do so, regardless of what the rules are. Smaller corps benefit from other corps strife as much as the larger corps. We should NOT be creating conditions/rules that make strife intentionally.

you're right...anyone can start a corps. now, name how many didn't plan, blew their wad to go to finals and aren't around anymore?

way too many

This IS my point of view. Like it or not. Support it or not. From the outside looking in. As a past member of corps that DO fall into the void. And some of those seasons, before the rule, with a competitive corps of 22-34 members. And as a general "supporter" of drumcorps.

you also show selective reading skills as much more info than your POV has been outlines on here time and time again.

yet, because what people tell you doesn't fit your POV, you continue to ignore it. People tell you, since it's become your passion to change this rule to write a proposal. you dont, and when someone else does, you criticize it.

Shadow, put up or shut up. Really, you're continuous crying doesn't do anything except turn people against even looking at the rule. you are doing more to hurt your cause than help it, you've been told it by numerous people, and you're still ignoring them.

so...you want it changed so #### bad...write a proposal. let us all see it since you're the "expert" on this.

or shut the hell up.

odds are, despite all your bluster, you'll do neither and continue to hurt your own cause.

This is what most people think:

waaambulance.jpg

If not having a lined field prevented you from having a good show, then maybe we shouldn't look at God for his wrath of rain, but inward.

hell, having fresh hashmarks didn't help Cadets win quarters in 2007.

"Defenders" you gave a great first time competitive performance in Albany. Dale says you have alot more personnel. It would be great to see you in DCA or at least in Rochester.

Yes, Rochester is an option. We're 50+ horns, drum line is still growing, but I don't think we'll

ever be on a field again...unless it's in a semicircle to kick off a show!

The minicorps bug has bitten us, and now that we've seen what can be done on stage we're looking

forward to the '09 mca and dca season!