Fairbanks named Bluecoats Program Coordinator

Fairbanks Named New Program Coordinator

(Canton, Ohio) - 9/2/2008

The Bluecoats are pleased to announce that Tim Fairbanks has been named Program Coordinator for the 2009 season.

Tim brings with him to the Bluecoats a wealth of experience in the pageantry arts. He is the Program Coordinator and visual designer for the indoor percussion ensemble Rhythm X, the 2008 WGI Independent World Champions. He also serves as the Percussion Director for Centerville (OH) High School, where he is involved both the musical and visual design for their marching band and for their Scholastic World and Scholastic A indoor percussion ensembles. In addition, Tim is a visual designer for Aimachi, from Nagoya, Japan, the 2006 and 2008 WGI bronze medalist. He also served as Visual Coordinator for the Bluecoats in 2007.

“We are thrilled to have Tim as a part of our team again in 2009,” says Bluecoats Executive Director David Glasgow. “His creativity both visually and musically is not only great, but also very cutting edge.”

Tim is looking forward to working with the corps. “The Bluecoats are a World Class organization in every sense of the word. I'm excited to be a part of a great team and look forward to an inspiring 2009 season,” he said.

The Bluecoats would also like to thank Drew Shanefield for his work as Program Coordinator from 2006-2008. “Drew did a lot for the organization during his time here, and we wish him the best of luck as he follows his true passion of writing music,” says Glasgow.

Stay tuned for more announcements about the upcoming season!

Not a great surprise by the addition. He is from Dayton and worked with them not too long ago. He marched snare for Phantom 96 for sure, not sure if before. But Tim is top notch when it comes to WGI Percussion. His designs are always some of the best out there. His visual programs have really innovated the activity.

My guess is that Bluecoats come out with a simple idea that has a lot of potential to it, along the lines of Cavies 02, 03; SCV 06. Some of his shows were about Shadows, Elastic, Bounce. And what he does is truly take that imagine and puts it on the floor so amazingly!

I look for Bluecoats drill/visual to be very presentative of the theme, which is where Tim has had his best success. Early prediction is for their visual GE to jump up if they do the type of show I expect them too.

All in all, Coats already have a very strong music side, and now hopefully Tim will get their visual design up to/if not higher than the music.

Not a great surprise by the addition. He is from Dayton and worked with them not too long ago. He marched snare for Phantom 96 for sure, not sure if before. But Tim is top notch when it comes to WGI Percussion. His designs are always some of the best out there. His visual programs have really innovated the activity.

My guess is that Bluecoats come out with a simple idea that has a lot of potential to it, along the lines of Cavies 02, 03; SCV 06. Some of his shows were about Shadows, Elastic, Bounce. And what he does is truly take that imagine and puts it on the floor so amazingly!

I look for Bluecoats drill/visual to be very presentative of the theme, which is where Tim has had his best success. Early prediction is for their visual GE to jump up if they do the type of show I expect them too.

All in all, Coats already have a very strong music side, and now hopefully Tim will get their visual design up to/if not higher than the music.

Best of luck to the Coats. I have liked most of what Tim has done on the WGI side but Tim was the Bluecoats visual coordinator in 2007 and I didn't hear too many positive things. I just hope they know what they're doing. Designing for a 25 person drumline is a lot different than designing for 145.

Best of luck to the Coats. I have liked most of what Tim has done on the WGI side but Tim was the Bluecoats visual coordinator in 2007 and I didn't hear too many positive things. I just hope they know what they're doing. Designing for a 25 person drumline is a lot different than designing for 145.

Yeah, I couldn't agree more, 2007 Bluecoats had a lot of great things, but visual design/programming was not one of them. I don't really understand why they would go more towards that route. As rmurrey74 said, 145 is quite different from 25, not to mention, their programming for the drum feature in 07 was extremely questionable, especially for a WGI guy designing it.

Well, hey, I wasn't sure about Phantom coming out strong last year, look how wrong I was. Things change, I hope the Bluecoats can make this a positive situation and continue to grow next year.

While I'm not 100% sold on him yet (though TOTALLY respect the great things he has done in the WGI activity, and have really liked what he's done with Rhythm X), it seems like a good fit for Bluecoats. Their shows the last couple of years (2007 and 2008) seem to be VERY WGI oriented. 2007 especially (and to a smaller extent this past year) seemed very close in design to a WGI drumline show. If Bluecoats are going to continue this route (which has been working well for them, I think) they're hiring the right guy.

{2005, 2006} > {2007, 2008}

Not that the past two years have been bad, by any means, but I am a little disappointed to see it appears the corps is going to keep going in this direction.

So....

We get three more years of programming built around the percussion program of the Bluecoats. Not to say that their percussion program is not incredible, it is, but I think this move is just another addition to their programs of the past few years where the percussion is the focus point, the guard is sort of there, and the hornline does very little in terms of adding to the show.

Although I will say the boxing show had much more going on in regards to the horns, but come on, if your trying to step up Bluecoats, you have to break the mold.

what you guys said (most recently, at least)

Edited by Jared_mello