Did you "start" in Band or Corps?

Band or Corps first  

276 members have voted

1. 1. Did you first participate in Drum Corps or Marching Band?

• Marching Band
    • Drum and Bugle Corps

... not to mention that your '82 snare line/drum line was hands down my favorite Blue Devils snare line... ever. :thumbup:
WOW! That's quite a compliment! It was so much fun to be there! I loved marching with Robbie the year before, but the '82 line made up for the inconsistencies from the previous year. It was a great year to age-out. My boyfriend marched in the '83 line so we kind of tease each other: "I got the ring, you got the drum trophy!" We met in the Renegades in '05.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got my start in Drum and Bell corps in Manteca CA. The corps practiced in the park by my house in 1978. Marched a lot of parades including SanFancisco Chinese New Years parade in 78 or 79. Then got into band my sophomore year of high school. Finally marched in Drum Corps in 84.

I thought I would be the only drum and baton corps graduate! :thumbup:

Cornell High School Marching Band

Vikings Drum and Baton Corps

Finleyville Royal Crusaders 81 (Corps folded)

Finleyville Crusader Cadets 82

General Butler Vagabonds 83&84

GBV Staff, 85

A host of hs staffs 85-88

University of Pittsburgh, 85-89 (Section Leader)

Retired with bad back...

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, I showed up to marching band first...... but I didn't start DOING anything until I decided to do drum corps. Drum Corps was when I ARRIVED. :D

I've never marched in a band. It's been all corps since day one ... and a good thing too. We didn't have any marching bands in my part of Brooklyn. My high school, Fort Hamilton, didn't have a football team, so, no band.

Began in marching band...still in marching band actually! I'm hoping to march my first year of corps this next summer. I'm really nervous. :)

"Starter's":

Drum corps from "Day 1" WAY back in 1958. NONE of the schools I attended even HAD "Music Programs". :withstupid:

Elphaba

Edited by elphaba01

Began in marching band...still in marching band actually! I'm hoping to march my first year of corps this next summer. I'm really nervous. :)

Don't be. I don't know what corps that you're planning on auditioning for, but you'll probably see some vets walking around with a pretty high confidence level because they're already familiar with the routine. DON'T let that rattle you. They don't change their clothes in a phone booth and they can't walk on water. They started the same way that you did. Approach it with the right attitude and you should be just fine. Good luck to you. :thumbup:

High School Marching Band, 2000-2003

Fairfax County, Virginia

... apparently we have a reputation for good bands. More on the concert side though... marching band is required to play in the top school concert ensemble.

....Good to see things have not changed in Fairfax County, and that music education in schools is still seen as a priority there.

Edited by Dmlkmen