Did you "start" in Band or Corps?

Band or Corps first  

276 members have voted

1. 1. Did you first participate in Drum Corps or Marching Band?

• Marching Band
    • Drum and Bugle Corps

Ellsworth HS Band 71-74

KS Lions International Band (summer parade competition) 74,75,76

FHSU Tiger Marching band 74, 75, 76

Salina Silver Sabres 77.

White bucks retired 77

if things work out, one of these days: Prarie Sound

Don't feel quite as old now... :tongue: Graduated HS 1975 so started Fall o' 72 in MB. Never competed as crusty WWII vet Band Director felt "You kids have enough #### to worry about without doing a stupid ### competition". :shutup:

Discovered DC late 73 thanks to trumpet in the band recruiting for a corps that never got out of the practice room. :hmmm:

First competition of any kind was a DCA show in Aug 1974.

First saw DCI telecast 1975.

IUP marching band 1977 (transferred from another college and too busy re-earning credits :whistle: to do it again).

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I started at the age of 9 in drum and bugle corps. Our high school marching band was a band for football games only. We didn't do alot of marching but we could out play any band in our area. Later the band started to compete in the 80's and 90's and the last band director ran it into the ground.

i grew up on drum corps. my high school band start competing about 2 days after i graduated, but for me, the goal was always to be in drum corps, band was a way to date the color guard

I never marched in band. Grew up around drum corps.

I started band in the 4th grade in elementary school. I never marched till the 9th grade. I went to my first DCI show the next summer and was sold. I still marched the next three years in high school. Started corps the first summer after high school and marched 3 seasons. Still marched band in college as well. I'm betting mine is a pretty common scenario. My bet is that over 90% of corps folks also marched in band which definitely makes those idiots that call other people bandos look even more idiotic.

Cooper City High School "Sound of Pride" Marching Band, Cooper City FL 01, 02 Tenor Sax

University of Miami "Band of the Hour" Marching Band, Coral Gables FL 03, 04, 05, 06, 08 (Tenor Sax 03, rest lead mello)

Spartans Drum & Bugle Corps, Nashua NH 05, 06 (age-out) Mello

Edited by sobe

Started learning at age 9.

Chadbourne Elementary concert band- Millbrae, CA Saw local drum corps and HS bands in annual parades.

Taylor Intermediate concert band and orchestra- Millbrae, CA Saw the Northern California Kingsmen practicing at Mills High School, asked to join, they said "Wait until you're 14"

71 Mills High School concert/marching band- Millbrae, CA

71 Joined the drum corps now called the Conquistadors in the beginning of the summer - they gave me a pair of cymbals - had a blast!

72 My parents saw that I loved marching, so they moved to another school's area because it had a better marching band.

72-75 Capuchino High School concert band/orchestra/marching band- San Bruno, CA

72-75 S.S.F. Conquistadors - Bob Kalkoffen put me on snare because I could sight read music really well.

Fall 75 - The other snare drummers left, so I was the oldest in the drumline. I wanted to experience a nationally competing corps. It was SCV, or BD...

October 75 went to BD rehearsal, I sucked, but it was totally great. Worked my tail off. Made it. Never attended an SCV rehearsal - mainly because Fred and Bob were no longer there.

76-78 BD snare. Way cool.

Started drum corps in 1965 at the age of 5 in the Kings Park (later Long Island) Kingsmen

Was the percussion section at Parkview Elementary School in 5th and 6th grades.

Played bari at Kings Park Jr. HS 7th thru 9th grades.

Played bari at Kings Park Sr. HS 10th thru 12th grades. Graduated in 1977.

Aged out on lead bari in the Long Island Kingsmen in 1980 after (16) seasons.

Started band in 6th grade at Olde Towne Middle School in Ridgeland, MS. Never marched except for parades, but we did go to football games. Started marching when I moved on to Ridgeland High School. During band camp sophomore year, band director showed us a video of 2002 Cavaliers, wanting us to strive for that kind of perfection. I became hooked. Joined Memphis Sound during March of the following year. Marched both 2004 and 2005. I was stupid and decided to take the summer of 2006 off. Started college that fall at Holmes Community College in Goodman, MS. Went back to Memphis Sound that fall and marched 2007. Still in band at Holmes and will be in the band at Mississippi State. Being in drum corps drove me to be a music education major and I am loving every minute of it.