Which corps will add woodwinds?

Well, I'm sure in NO WAY would the Cadets EVER be the first drum corps to introduce such an embarrassing travesty.

You can take that to the bank.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, drum corps fans like LOUD. Bagpipes are really freakin' loud.

Unfortunately, drum corps fans ALSO like intonation.

:cool:

The way I see it, if dci wanted to add woodwinds, they would have to add a woodwind judge, and therefore, every corps would need to have a woodwind line.
The same way that they added a narration judge?

Or, to be really experimental, we could add a line of marching vacuum cleaners. vacuum cleaners..

Sorry, I like the all brass sound, thanks very much.

This may have already been mentioned, but the re-sell value of woodwinds won't be nearly as good as brass if you're rehearsing hours and hours in the 90-degree and humid south. I don't know anything about woodwinds and their pads, etc., but I do know that water/humidity isn't so good for them. Since many corps buy/sell their brass and percussion equipment (and some is endorsed, on loan or rented) I doubt that adding even a handful of woodwinds would make it financially beneficial to the corps, just for the sake of creating a musical moment that won't stick out any more than if it were done with brass.

I do understand that woodwinds have some different capabilities and less range limitations as brass, but that's what makes the drum and bugle corps so special and why I have the highest respect and appreciation for the amazing musicians that arrange/compose the shows we see and hear today. They can do so much with so little and it's such an entertaining activity, for me at least.

I love band, but drum corps is drum corps and should remain drums, brass and the occasional acoustic voice, IMO.

The same way that they added a narration judge?

You'd have to teach the members how to play their woodwinds in a way that you don't have to teach members how to talk.

By that, I mean that narration typically doesn't have several people trying to say the same thing at the same time with the same inflection, volume, attacks and releases, tone quality and timbre, while a woodwind line would have to have all that standardized.

There are a few points I would like to make.

1. In the current DCI enviornment this would never happen

2. Regardless of 1, If you're looking for a clarinet that can be played outdoors and in the rain if neccessary, and also sounds good, you better start looking quick.

3. You had also better start looking now for 6 piccolos who can play loudly and in tune with each other right away.

4. How would you FORCE someone to add a woodwind line? (They did do it with amps, but failed with narration, so that's a real question)

5. As far as hearing the woodwinds, someone used an example of flutes in a concert hall. Not only do woodwinds not project as well because their sound isn't as focused as a brass instrument (not applicable in a big roomy concert hall), but brass in drum corps also push the amount of sound you can get, so the trumpets/whatever was in that example are putting out a lot more sound on a football field. And if the piccolo example means the piccolo could only be heard in some places but drops out at fff, then thats not consistent ensemble blend, as a music judge would say. So you can't really go to those louder dynamics.

6. Saxophones outisde for that long do not last. not in the rain. pads swell up and then dry, and theres not much you can do about it that costs less than $500. (which is practically the cost of the crappy saxophones you would be playing outdoors)

7. I play woodwinds, and did march them, but would not in drum corps

8. This post comes off very negative, but I'm just stating the facts as I see them. Most of the post is opinion

hopefully no corps will.

wouldnt a woodwind instrumet with the same quality as the brass be a lot more expensive therefore harder to find funding for?

and well in high school no body broke their trumpet baritone, anything just by setting it on the ground, so that would be a nightmare too.

Never gonna happen.

Horn pops. Nuff said.

(and the sound of horns hitting Trooper belt buckles in the retreat block waves. You just aren't going to get that sound from a clarinet. :cool:)

Edited by TerriTroop