When will CD's begin shipping?

is there a CD review feed that would be better than here? anyway, i received my cds a week ago (chicago), and here are my thoughts

-i am enjoying phantom more on cd - i love hearing the gasps from the audience and other audience participation for this show - almost makes me cry ;-) very entertaining

-i really liked bd in person, but havent listened much on cd

-i like the crowd reaction for the end of cavies - i think at the beginning of the ballad there is a guy shouting 'tonite you die' from most kung fu movies, but hard to pick it out since others are shouting at the same time

-of course love crown, however i dont think the mics could handle the impacts - some of them almost cut out for the hits cos it was too loud - wish that girl wouldnt have screamed so in the middle of the ballad after the completion of that flag toss circle... but definitely excellent stuff

-jumping to bcoats - i understand putting that one brass chorus towards in end in the righthand speaker, but its disappointing that way - did i only hear it from my right ear? no! ok if the balance was more to the right, but with no left, and me being in the drivers seat (the only place i can really crank the volume the way i want, by myself driving), i miss hearing it thru the drivers side speakers too

-scv - loud scv yell, however could have used more snapping from the audience in the storny section

-bluestars - really miss hearing the pavane warmup - too bad it didnt make it...

great cds though - listening to the crowd in phantom is worth it - everyone is so shocked when the dm throws that girl in the ballad, it makes me laugh! how many times did everyone see that show!? were they gonna do a aerobed spot finals nite and throw her on a soft surface? no, but you knew that, night after night!

enjoy

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

great cds though - listening to the crowd in phantom is worth it - everyone is so shocked when the dm throws that girl in the ballad, it makes me laugh! how many times did everyone see that show!? were they gonna do a aerobed spot finals nite and throw her on a soft surface? no, but you knew that, night after night!

enjoy

Hehe, the gasps are because of how hard he threw her. That girl literally bounced off the turf! During the encore run he was definitely much gentler.

Yeah, at finals, she appeared to hit the ground hard enough, first body, then seemingly head, too, for the audience to wince, and I remember thinking, yikes, body bruises and concussion, beyond what she's endured before. Now sometimes this stuff can be an illusion. Great stunt actors and sound effect techs in movies can make impacts seem much higher than they really are. And everyone on the field was so into their roles that night. It will be interesting to see how it looks on video.

I'm glad to hear that they kept audience response so electric on the CDs. Some years, this seems to get dampened down a bit. The give and take was a key part of Phantom's show.

. . .one thing, so far, is standing out in my mind as I listen to the second disk:

The Madison Scouts show this year just didn't do it for me. After the hype of seeing them back in Finals wore off, and I can listen with a more objective ear, I gotta say that the Scouts show is a little underwhelming now by comparisons sake. 2007 seems more "Madison" in its final form that this does upon repeated listenings.

With that said, I have some trepidation about next year going back to the same Latinesque playbook. 2008 comes off right now as a safe, judge friendly show with a sprinkle of "Oh yeah, here's some Latin stuff, guys!" in it.

Aside from the opening statement, I honestly can't get into that brass book. It feels like it's Latin in some safe, watered-down way. I almost expect an announcers voice afterwards to say:

La Noche De La Iguana; for Concert Band, Grade V!

Part of the "Regional Flavors" Series for purchase at Hal Leonard.com!

Of course, the DVD's are still to come and may tinge things a little differently. . .but for right now, I'd at the least say Crossmen deserved a tie for 12th place.

I also say that as a pretty big Scouts fan. Then again, maybe it's just me . . perhaps I keep expecting the Scott Stewart version to return every year and haven't figured out yet in my fandom that those days are gone forever.

Meh. What do I know anyway? :blink:

No, you're right, that's basically how I feel about this show. But the fact that Scott Stewart isn't there doesn't mean that they can't find some mature, high-quality source music arranged well in years to come.

All I have to say about the Cadets is, SHUT UP! The music spoke for itself. Sara Johnson was nothing more than an unnecessary annoyance. Had they spent more time on show development rather than character development, I believe they could have placed higher. The concept was just BAD! As much as I tried to accept Sara, she just kept pissing me off. Kind of like the guy sitting behind you in the stands who is explaining drum corps to a newbie during a corps performance, and he obviously knows nothing, and never marched. He's the same guy that's going to order the Regiment "commemorative championship ring."

Sorry for the rant!

Well, I'm in small town Ontario Canada,, and just got notice of my shipment from DCI via UPS...

woo hoo..

30 years between purchases is toooooo looonnnngggg

Anyone else noticing like a "wind blowing" sound against the microphones? I don't remember it being particularly windy that night, but you can notice the best at the beginning of the Blue Stars ballad or any other quiet parts. Really irritating.

That's weird, because wind was not an issue in Bloomington. Nobody was chasing flags, as I recall. Wind was an issue in Pasadena... I think it was Pasadena, among recent championships... at least Thursday night when a microphone stand blew down and fortunately didn't hurt anybody but did knock the mike out of commission. They didn't have a backup.