Cymbal Lines are Officially Dead

It is official. Amplified front ensembles have made cymbal lines obsolete. OVERWHELMINGLY, people in the crowd at Bloomington finals told me that they could hear our (Vanguard) front-line cymbals but NOT the cymbal line!

Of the top 5 corps -> 0 Cymbal Lines

Of the next 6 corps -> 1 Cymbal Line

Of the next 6 corps -> 5 Cymbal Lines

Music directors like Carolina Crown have figured out that they can replace 5 cymbals with 5 contras/bases for a much deeper sound!

I AM SAD... we have gone the way of the glockenspiel and the dodo.

The BASE LINE is next. A nice amplified tympani set can make pretty sweet music.

My comrades in Scouts, Crossmen, Colts, Spirit and P.Crest don't want to hear this, but sometimes, after the rah rah of the season fades away, the truth must be dealt with.

:tongue:

i could hear Vanguard's cymbals just fine

I AM SAD... we have gone the way of the glockenspiel and the dodo.

Glockenspiels live on as orchestral bells.

Dodos never did find their rightful spot in drum corps. Perhaps if they were amped.

The BASE LINE is next. A nice amplified tympani set can make pretty sweet music.

Oh come now. We aren't trying to take over the base line. How would the basketball players know how far the court goes without the base line?

And I'm pretty sure bass lines are safe too. Maybe I'm just not good enough, but I can't split 32's between all 5 drums like a bass line. I think marching bass will be just fine. I love the look of a cymbal line, but to me, its just a glorified percussion color guard member.

A lot of corps in Open Class have cymbal lines. Just off the top of my head...

Vanguard Cadets

Blue Devils B

Jersey Surf

Teal Sound

Raiders

Yamato

Spartans

Legends

Velvet Knights

Impulse

Colt Cadets

Cymbal lines aren't dead, and won't be as long as there are cymbal players in DCI. There will always be a place for them somewhere...

Edited by MetalTones2012

I love the look of a cymbal line, but to me, its just a glorified percussion color guard member.

Agreed. Cymbal lines aren't as musically necessary to battery percussion as a bass line is. In all marching percussion activities, cymbal lines are becoming less common.

Amplified pits did not kill the cymbal line...the cymbals in the pit aren't mic'ed. The mics may pick up the cymbal sound near them, but that is usually not intentional.

I've like to see those 5 bass's form a V as a section.

Part of Vanguard's image is their cymbal line. They at least are going to stay. I hope that new technology doesn't end old traditions that everyone loves.

I refuse to accept it. Plates forever!

• Like 1