Cymbal Lines are Officially Dead

I love watching cymbal lines... but don't you think if Cadets or Bluecoats or Blue Devils thought they could get another tenth or two in GE for having a cymbal line, that they would?

Your point is amplified (no pun intended) by the recent move up to 150 members. If there still isn't enough room for a few marching cymbal players, it must really be a competitive disadvantage. Hmm, maybe if they were allowed 200, there would be enough room?

Troopers: no cymbal line for 2008, and none likely for 2009 despite my continued (and potentially annoying) assertion that 4 pitsters should pick up some plates and get moving on the field for a few minutes next season!

I did just that with the band I write for in 2006 and 2007 during our percussion feature. The four gals that made up our pit picked up plates and had a blast doing some drill and visual stuff with the battery. It does help that I am both percussion and wind arranger, so I can set it up musically without problems.

I love watching cymbal lines... but don't you think if Cadets or Bluecoats or Blue Devils thought they could get another tenth or two in GE for having a cymbal line, that they would? The fact that they don't think that means they think they can use those 4/5 members somewhere else to provide a greater impact on their result.

What if Crown marched 12 tubas, and a 4 person cymbal line, instead of 16 tubas?

What if Cadets marched a 4-person cymbal line instead of having 2 narrators and 2 lip-synchers?

• Like 1

I personally take offense to the description in the orginal post. Amps or Mics might have killed cymbal lines but "Mikes" didn't have a #### thing to do with it.

Mike

:thumbup:

I do hope people realize cymball lines were being removed from corps before amplification ever came into place. A cybal line music is also done in the pit. They now serve as a visual purpose than a music purpose. They are great to watch but on a field their sound does get lostexcept for the big hits. which is covered by the pit. Most of the top corps had removed their cymbal line by the late 90's. So amp's had nothing to do with it. It is more of corps decision if they want them or not.

Shannon

One of the things you guys are missing is that the cymbal line is as much a visual as a musical section, at least the good ones are. you can easily replace the line musically with cymbals in the pit, as has been mentioned, but nothing can quite replace the visual impact that cymbal lines can add, when used well.

The cymbals forming a halo around the mello soloist at the end of 88 madison is one of the truly iconic moments in dci history, right up there with the z-pull and the bottle dance. the madison 92 drum feature ending with the cymbals slowly falling to their backs in front of the snare line isn't far off. i can think of a ton of examples of cymbals lining up on the snares during drum features, placing the cymbals right in front of the snares, or behind their heads a couple of times to add a visual and musical impact to the snare solo. it gets a visceral reaction from the crowd like few drum corps moments can.

that's why corps keep cymbal lines, and why even if they don't have a cymbal line having a few pit or guard members pick up plates for an impact moment will always be a great idea.

I think the reason why people got rid of their cymbals is because they did not understand them. and another reason someone once told me was they are hard to clean. These days its hard to find a cymbal tech that truly understands cymbals. Most cymbal players were cut from other parts of the drumline. I found that people who had that happen to them don't really care as much (Not saying they don't care). I am not saying everyone. So don't jump on me for that. and they always have aspirations to go and audition for a drum again.

And another reason is Percussion writers don't know how to write cymbals in for todays drumlines (DCI). Like back in the day it was used for big hits. But now that drum/Wind music and drill has gotten alot more complicated they dont know where to place the cymbals within the line. And I can understand that. But you need to use your imagination. And what I found is if you use the same cymbal through out the line, thats where your line is limited to big hits. If you try to do a run its going to sound the same. Even if you do tap chokes and other stuff. But tap chokes don't come off the field and are dampened by your body. So to change you need to use different pitched cymbals. Like a pair of chinas, or ones with different thickness and hammering styles. I have found that Sabian has what it takes to do that. And thats what it would take to make a cymbal line musical (My Opinion). This thought has been around sense 2000 when Crown's Cymbal line started it. Along with UNT'S cymbal line when they do PASIC. Then in 2004 Southwind adapted that style along with Surround Sound (WGI) Independent World Drumline. Then this past season Twin Cities Area Independent Independent A line.

And another reason is if you see most lines have not adapted to new styles if you look at most styles out there they are pop and lock. Its been that way for years and years. and they cymbals were not changing with the corps.

I am not putting down anyone or telling anyone they are wrong. This is my opinion and please respect that.

And I heard a rumor that the cadets had a line at the beginning of every days. is there any truth to that?