Cymbal Lines are Officially Dead

It is official. Amplified front ensembles have made cymbal lines obsolete. OVERWHELMINGLY, people in the crowd at Bloomington finals told me that they could hear our (Vanguard) front-line cymbals but NOT the cymbal line!

Of the top 5 corps -> 0 Cymbal Lines

Of the next 6 corps -> 1 Cymbal Line

Of the next 6 corps -> 5 Cymbal Lines

Out of 26 Open corps, 11 plates lines (42%) (presumung MetalTone's list is accurate)

Out of 20 World corps, 10 plates lines ( 50%) (presumung Galen's list is accurate)(not counting Southwind or Cascades, as they didn't field)

Totals: 46 corps, 21 plates lines (45%)

Almost half of the DCI corps havea plate line...obsolete???

I think you need to do some actual research next time.

Don't know the percentage in DCA...

Edited by 84BDsop

Of the top 5 corps -> 0 Cymbal Lines

Of the next 6 corps -> 1 Cymbal Line

Indeed, despite about half of the existing corps still having cymbal lines, your stat above begs the question -- does having a cymbal line today constitute a competitive disadvantage? That indeed would be sad. But either it's an incredible coincidence, or it is so.

Santa Clara Vanguard will NEVER get rid of their cymbal line. It is too much part and parcel of the overall corps' identity. It is probably one of the hardest sections of the corps to make, and with good reason.

Ever watched an SCV performance and regardless if you're a guard person, drummer or hornplayer just get MESMERISED by the cymbal line and follow them around the whole show? I know I have.

SCV's cymbal line will NEVER DIE.

i could hear Vanguard's cymbals just fine

I'm with you! I could hear the marching cymbals no problem. Hmmm. Also Some Corps actually brought back plates lately. So I don't understand the Obsolete comment. If some corps actually brought back or added plates recentley then I would say that that is far from Obsolete.

Edited by Perry S

####. You mean to me, I'm missing soooo much money by not taking color guard teaching jobs where I live? Jesus, what am I thinking? Let me get on my phone and make sure all the other peeps I marched with don't miss out on this opportunity! Thanks for the tip! :ph34r::huh: :huh: :huh::tongue:

Hey man, love what you guys do. I couldn't do it. But that's my opinion. More often than not, I do not feel the cymbals are adding anything musically, but more visually if anything.

I can do that easily Matt, figure it out! :ph34r:

I should have known you would respond. If I only would have added in tune and time with the rest of the things going on that woulda kept you quiet. :sad:

Ever watched an SCV performance and regardless if you're a guard person, drummer or hornplayer just get MESMERISED by the cymbal line and follow them around the whole show? I know I have.

Not in show, but in encore, hell yeah! Best line on the planet...year after year. SCARY good!

Glockenspiels live on as orchestral bells.

Dodos never did find their rightful spot in drum corps. Perhaps if they were amped.

Wouldn't "The Dodo's Search for Meaning" be an awesome Cadets show? ;)

I think you guys got hit by a troll.

1. Just joined 2 days ago

2. First post is whining about cymbal lines being gone, when it's been pointed out that about 50% of corps today have them, which obviously means he either didn't bother to look them up, or a corps he wants to join just doesn't march cymbals.

3. Hasn't responded to any posts in this thread that he created

Good game, DCP!