Cymbal Lines are Officially Dead

SCV makes all cymbal lines obsolete anyway.

Cymbal lines are great. I taught a cymbal line for a year with an Independent winter drum line, and it was a blast getting that line to do some of the cool, pseudo-melodic things that cymbal lines can do. They are a lot of fun to watch both on the field and in the lot, and it seems cymbal lines are some of the more hard corps sections of the corps.

That being said, I think that Blue Devils, Cadets, and Cavaliers (among others) proved that life goes on without a cymbal line. I remember when all three of those corps utilized cymbals, but after dropping their cymbal lines still had great success. The corps didn't lose their identity, didn't stop being visually stunning, and didn't stop being musically innovative. Now a days I think that cymbals are a luxury. While the sound effects they can make are very cool, they are generally not integral to the over all music ensemble. The impact crashes that are integral can be covered in the pit very easily. The membership numbers that are used for a cymbal line can be used to beef up the brass or guard. I would guess that the cost of a cymbal tech. for the summer would outweigh the financial benefits of the cymbal line (no heads or sticks to replace on a day-day basis).

Cymbal lines are very cool, and I give them much respect for what they do. If I know I'm going to see a show live multiple times, I will always find myself following a cymbal line for large portions of the show, and I love to watch them in the lot. But cymbal lines alone do not make up the identity of any drum corps. I know it's hard to imagine folks, but Vanguard would still be Vanguard without a plate line: they would just be Vanguard without a plate line. The long traditions of SCV would go on, as would the corps. I can't imagine they would ever get rid of the cymbal line, but if they did they would endure.

It is official. Amplified front ensembles have made cymbal lines obsolete. OVERWHELMINGLY, people in the crowd at Bloomington finals told me that they could hear our (Vanguard) front-line cymbals but NOT the cymbal line!

Of the top 5 corps -> 0 Cymbal Lines

Of the next 6 corps -> 1 Cymbal Line

Of the next 6 corps -> 5 Cymbal Lines

Music directors like Carolina Crown have figured out that they can replace 5 cymbals with 5 contras/bases for a much deeper sound!

I AM SAD... we have gone the way of the glockenspiel and the dodo.

The BASE LINE is next. A nice amplified tympani set can make pretty sweet music.

My comrades in Scouts, Crossmen, Colts, Spirit and P.Crest don't want to hear this, but sometimes, after the rah rah of the season fades away, the truth must be dealt with.

:tongue:

Not needed any more. Bass (drum) line however won't go away.

YUP: That is Exactly what needs to be done. Take away a part that offers both sight and sound that the FANS LOVE.

Then put it with the ALREADY over powering pit. Has no one ever told the "Arrangers" that EVERY SONG ever writen does NOT have "Mallet" things in it. I mean listen to any area of music you want. Is there a BIG: Ting,Klong, Ping, sound in it ? I know it adds. BUT THERE IS TOO MUCH.

don't be an idiot. not every song has brass "things" in it either. and virtually no song ever written has marching percussion "things."

the modern day front ensemble is one of the most versatile music ensembles around. the range of musical styles and genres and instrumentation that can be covered by a front ensemble is mind boggling. we haven't even begun to explore the full scope of potential in the front ensemble. the indoor world is opening up a lot of doors, but there is still limitless grown potential.

that being said... long live the cymbal line.

Edited by big old drummer man

• 2 weeks later...
so... if people don't like the argument that plate lines are going away... how bout this:

having a plate line puts your corps at a competitive disadvantage

Soccerguy315 said it better than in my original OP.

I LOVE the plate lines. Cymbals add wonderful visual effect (so does guard) and GREAT accent hits (total 5 seconds / 13 minute program) but it is a competitive disadvantage to carry the line. We don't carry a piccolo line for the same reasons.

Cymbals will always be part of Open Class Corps. Great for training and filling ranks.

I personally take offense to the description in the orginal post. Amps or Mics might have killed cymbal lines but "Mikes" didn't have a #### thing to do with it.

Mike

:withstupid:

SOOOO sorry Mike. I am embareassed. MAH SPELL CHECKR WAZ WORKIN TO GUD BEFOR I TURNSED IT OFF !

Do you seriously believe what you say, or are you being sarcastic? Not to mention, is your screenname the same thing, or are you being sarcastic once again?

If so, then I think you should stop talking about things you have no idea about. It's like me trying to talk about nuclear physics...

Edited by tempotantrum