Screamers

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Back when I played snare I could hit a G above high C on a sop with a parduba double cupped mouthpiece, but I couldn't play the horn for squat. What does that tell you? :thumbup:

It tells me it's a good thing you and I are drummers!

Back in the late 70's/early 80's, the Michigan State Alumni group in SoCal would hire VK to play at a Lakers game for their own Magic Johnson night. We'd play the MSU fight song as well as other stuff in our rep. I'd sit with the brass, mello in hand, and just ask what the last note was, and what the fingering was for that note. Then I'd wait till the end and pop a screamer note on top. The drummers thought it was a riot.

Garry in Vegas

i have no idea about screaming, but my favorite screaming moment was from BD's star wars waym-up from 99. removed reference to copyrighted material

Just watched that warm up. WOW - goose bumps. Thanks.

yea i know i know, this should probably be in the brass forum, but i thought i would get a better chance having a response here than there, plus i hear more world class screamers than in open class, loophole maybe?

i am a trumpet player and i obviously want to audition next year (check the sig), but i just cant scream like some others. i know thats not all trumpets about, but hey thats not really the point.

what do the screamers use in terms of mouth pieces? is it a super shallow mouthpiece designed for screaming, or is it your typical 3C mouthpiece and they just are just amazing at hitting those notes?

alright and to completely tie it into world class, what are your favorite screaming moments, of all time, this year, or your own?

and i know this is bound to pop up eventually, so i'll go ahead and say it now:

not ATB at finals this year.

A Rudi Muk and lips ups baby. That's what made me a screaming 3rd sop.

A Rudi Muk and lips ups baby. That's what made me a screaming 3rd sop.

Cheater!

:thumbup:

Garry in Vegas

Screaming on a 3C

Yeah speaking of cheater.... and you're not supposed to do this but.

Two words - "Jet Tone" baby. :thumbup:

I had one I used in a jazz band that was like a quarter with a hole drilled in it.

I think the best advice that I've read so far is that a major part of it is in the volume of air you put through the horn. I was always a fairly good screamer but not much flexibility. When Brian Pennington got a hold of me, he literally threw out my Parduba 5 star double cup, and gave me a 3C. He changed everything about the way I played. No more tilting my head down and applying as much pressure as possible to squeeze out the notes. He had me lift up my chin to open the airway more. I also practiced by holding my soprano flat in my hand and playing without any pressue to my lips whatsoever. Frustration was king during those couple of months but it didn't take long until I was back to the point I was when I switched. From there it was a lot of interval studies in the mid range and always cooling down with low, long tones. Right before the season started he changed me over to a Schilke 14A4A, and I've been using that same mouthpiece ever since. My overall sound, endurance, range and screamability was so far and above my old style of playing. Once You get real comfortable with the high mid-range, it really doesn't take that more to throw in some dog whistles. Remember, no one really screams through the whole show. Just practice and like a previous poster stated, a season of marching is going to more for your playing abilities than you can imagine! Good louck!

14a4a is not exactly a "small" mouthpiece, however it has a smaller cup and tighter backbore than a 3C. Be prepared to lose some darkness in your quality of sound with this mouthpiece as compared to a 3C however. Schilke mouthpieces tend to produce a brighter sound than Bach related to the way they are built. These mouthpieces can help on certain gigs such as lead trumpet in a big band, but really dont sound as correct on classical playing. Most DCI brass instructors will not allow this set up UNLESS there is specific need for it in a particular corps repertoire. There is less concern in DCA, but even that is changing. I usually play for a Bach 3C to warm up and play exercises. If I have a jazz gig or lead gig, I may play either a 14a4a or 15B Schilke. I have bad experiences with Bach mouthpieces that have a shallow cup.

Faster air, firm corners and less pressure on the upper lip will help students to achieve an easier time in the upper register. Some people have a natural ability to play high notes without much effort, and some really have to work at it. Some of the best trumpet players I know do not play above high concert Bb very often. It is not that they can't, they just dont have to. Nor do they care to. Their sound in the low and middle register is so beautiful I dont care if they do either LOL.

Bottom line is, high note playing isnt "everything" and certainly not for everyone. Good brass fundamentals will allow to get where you are supposed to be, and from that point daily practice with the right equipment does the rest of the work.

Depending on the job, the equipment may change. I can only recommend that a teenage student should probably listen to an experienced teacher in this regard. Especially if there is private teacher in the picture.

Hope that helps!

Donny Allen

I used to win all the high-note contests when I marched. Not bad for a tenor player. Did it mostly on mello.

Of course, that doesn't make me a great brass player. I can't articulate for ####. But I can play real high.

My last year in Garfield, 1972, I, a percussionist, decided to play baritone...ended up playing third. Ended up I could actually play higher than any of the firsts...and because of years of 'drum speak' I could actually articulate better than any of them as well...though my INTONATION was...well...let's just say "not so good".