The top 4 in 2008 finals

En929

I'm not sure how they could have been much closer... :thumbup:

Regardless...I honestly think BD got a gift this year. Not a popular opinion, sure, I'll take the flack, but I thought that show was incredibly gimmicky, and didn't have the demand of the other top 4. It really was lacking in visual and music...and demand when compared to the others. I don't know, maybe they lost me when they put Sweeney Todd anywhere near their rep., that was an abysmal movie.

I honestly think this was the weakest year for BD show design in a LONG time (worse than 2005). They have great performers, lord knows why they choose to throw away that talent like that. It's like watching a well performed WGI show...without any 'wow' moments.

Of course, this is pure opinion, and I promise I'm not a super negative person - normally I really really enjoy BD shows.

Personally, I wish that Blue Devils would do some more shows like they did in 94 and 95

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was wondering how many of you were at the drum corp. 2008 finals? I was there, and I was wondering after seeing the performance, who thought that the top 4 should have actually ran down as follows:

1. Cavaliers

2. Blue Devils

3. Phantom Regiment

4. Carolina Crown

As opposed to:

1. Phantom Regiment

2. Blue Devils

3. Cavaliers

4. Carolina Crown

Everybody that I was around was saying the same thing, that the top 4 should have been arranged like this.

I am sure that is why Phantom winning was the loudest crowd response to a championship win in 20 years..........I am not sure who you were sitting around............Cavs music package didn't stack up well at all................in fact, I was surprised that Crown didn't top them................

GB

.Cavs music package didn't stack up well at all................in fact, I was surprised that Crown didn't top them................

GB

Because even conceding brass to Crown, Cavaliers had Crown topped in the rest of the captions.

I didn't think the Cavaliers had a championship performance, and weren't as close to the top two as the score indicated, but I didn't think Crown was as close to the Cavaliers as the score indicated either.

Maybe the Blue Devils just perform so good it looks easy :thumbup:

I love Blue Devils, but Scott Chandlers choices in shows don't do it for me. To WGI-ish for me.

Nope, that definitely wasn't it. First, it didn't look easy when they did it, and second...not unless those non-melodic long-tones somehow got tougher. Seriously, look at that show objectively, regardless of competitive scores and standings, and it's hard to believe that is BD. I'm not sure what they sold the judges in critique, but I'm not seeing it. I'll be interested to hear the staff commentaries on the DvD.

I am sure that is why Phantom winning was the loudest crowd response to a championship win in 20 years..........I am not sure who you were sitting around............Cavs music package didn't stack up well at all................in fact, I was surprised that Crown didn't top them................

GB

Are you kidding? Phantom got the loudest crowd response because they haven't won a championship by themselves (sadly). I agree that Phantom had a very very good, and I think they had a very clean musical performance, but I think Cavies had a winning show. And it DID stack up well. I was sitting around people who saw a flawless show. And I especially liked the Samauri concept; that was cool. The only think that I didn't like about the Cavies was those drums that they had. But that doesn't take away from the fact that I saw a flawless performance. I'm not biased, I'm just telling what happened. Yeaaahhhhhh Cavies.

That's what I like about today's drum corp. Everyone can choose their own winner and no one has to lose. It's all subjective.

Personally I'm glad Phantom won because they played real music with a melody. Crown sounded incredible, but I wish they could avoid music some other corps didn't make famous. The cut'n'paste arrangement was annoying as well.

I believe BD and Cadets usually have the most talent, but design gets in the way of them achieving true greatness.

Are you kidding? Phantom got the loudest crowd response because they haven't won a championship by themselves (sadly). I agree that Phantom had a very very good, and I think they had a very clean musical performance, but I think Cavies had a winning show. And it DID stack up well. I was sitting around people who saw a flawless show. And I especially liked the Samauri concept; that was cool. The only think that I didn't like about the Cavies was those drums that they had. But that doesn't take away from the fact that I saw a flawless performance. I'm not biased, I'm just telling what happened. Yeaaahhhhhh Cavies.

It doesn't matter if it stacks up well if it was garbage. Design wise, this was the weakest cavies show I have ever seen. they have been going downhill since the begining of the decade; 02,03, 04 were great. Now they are just trying to milk that formula, and it just isn't doing it for me (along with many others I know).

As far as it being a 'flawless' show... wow. The cavies have a good talent level, and a good staff, but... 'flawless'? if you say so. I definitely heard some things that weren't 'flawless', as well as seeing them.

That's what I like about today's drum corp. Everyone can choose their own winner and no one has to lose. It's all subjective.

Personally I'm glad Phantom won because they played real music with a melody. Crown sounded incredible, but I wish they could avoid music some other corps didn't make famous. The cut'n'paste arrangement was annoying as well.

I believe BD and Cadets usually have the most talent, but design gets in the way of them achieving true greatness.

Totally agree on the first part and isn't that what's so great about our activity? Everyone can find a show that makes them sit up and cheer. While some find a show "gimmicky", I may see it as the most sophisticated and well designed show of the year. Vice-versa for some who adore a show, I may find it to be the one full of gimmicks. It's all a matter of taste and it's all good. No need to bash or scream your opinion to the masses, because chances are you're not going to change anyone's mind.

:tongue:

Yeah Cavies had a solid show but it wasn't nearly as exciting as BD or even Phantom. Don't get me wrong, I liked the Cavies show but it wasn't the best.

And.....if you think that Phantom didn't deserve to win its either because you are

a) a BD fan, and obviously ######

b) a Cavie fan who maybe enjoys the visual aspect more than anything in DCI

c) a person without any emotions.

or

d) you just don't care for Phantom shows

Seriously Phantom sold that show and it was pure artistry out there with a great story line.

:smile:

Wrong....Phantom got the loudest crowd response because in the opinion of the vast majority of the crowd, they won the show; yes, the fact that they had only won one shared title before certainly added to that, but they would have went wild even if they were going for 6 in a row.

Cavies were great VISUALLY. Musically? I beg to differ. Percussion-wise, they were 2nd best to Phantom (ironically, you did not like their drumline). Flawless? Not even close....This is not only my observation, but showed up to an extent on the judges sheets as well. You are entitled to your opinions, though....

GB