The top 4 in 2008 finals

En929

Eh, it didn't make me mad or make me cry. I definitely enjoyed it, but good lord you would think that it was the greatest show ever put on a football from all the nut hugging on this forum.

I agree. I mean plus, you wouldn't understand the story AT ALL unless you have seen the actual Spartacus movie...I mean, cool, deaths, la dee frickin' da....($100 to Matt Foley/Chris Farley)

The show had great music, and a very talented brass/percussion section. Its not the greatest show of all time...or anywhere near for that matter.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

... you would think that it was the greatest show ever put on a football from all the nut hugging on this forum.

For some people it was.

For some people, BD's show was.

Thankfully, there are shows that appeal to everyone somewhere during the competition, and of those that each person in the stands finds to be their favorite, sometimes they're hit with the sense it was the best show they've ever seen.

I'm sure some thought Cavaliers' show was the best they had seen because it just hit them right. Same for Carolina Crown and possibly other corps.

It's a time to celebrate when one finds a show and performance that redefines the activity for them. Many of us join in the celebration because we love to see fans enjoying themselves, whether or not we felt the correct corps won.

Personally, I really enjoy knowing others have had the time of their life, and it doesn't matter what corps they were rooting for to win. It makes me feel good to know others have the feeling I hope I have every year.

This was a year where many people felt great about drum corps, no matter where their favorite corps finished.

It's going to be hard to top that feeling for next year, but I hope at the end of the 2009 season, we can look back and state, "Wow, I thought 2008 was something, but 2009...Wow."

For some people it was.

For some people, BD's show was.

Thankfully, there are shows that appeal to everyone somewhere during the competition, and of those that each person in the stands finds to be their favorite, sometimes they're hit with the sense it was the best show they've ever seen.

I'm sure some thought Cavaliers' show was the best they had seen because it just hit them right. Same for Carolina Crown and possibly other corps.

It's a time to celebrate when one finds a show and performance that redefines the activity for them. Many of us join in the celebration because we love to see fans enjoying themselves, whether or not we felt the correct corps won.

Personally, I really enjoy knowing others have had the time of their life, and it doesn't matter what corps they were rooting for to win. It makes me feel good to know others have the feeling I hope I have every year.

This was a year where many people felt great about drum corps, no matter where their favorite corps finished.

It's going to be hard to top that feeling for next year, but I hope at the end of the 2009 season, we can look back and state, "Wow, I thought 2008 was something, but 2009...Wow."

That's right

I agree. I mean plus, you wouldn't understand the story AT ALL unless you have seen the actual Spartacus movie...I mean, cool, deaths, la dee frickin' da....($100 to Matt Foley/Chris Farley)

The show had great music, and a very talented brass/percussion section. Its not the greatest show of all time...or anywhere near for that matter.

REALLY?? I've never seen the movie, and the show made more sense than any other story-line show I've seen...

I don't believe anyone needed to have read Lawrence Ferlinghetti's poem to have understood and thoroughly enjoyed Blue Devils' captivating show.

This is how I thought it should have played out.

1. Phantom Regiment

2. Carolina Crown

3. Blue Devils

4. Cavaliers

5. Bluecoats

6. Santa Clara Vanguard

7. Crossmen

8. Spirit

9. Boston Crusaders

10. Blue Stars

11. Colts

12. Troopers

-------------------------------

13. Blue Knights

14. Cadets

15. Madison Scouts

16. The Academy

17. Glassmen

18. Mandarins

19. Pacific Crest

20. Pioneer

No, I just personally thought (along with everybody else that was sitting by me) that Cavaliers should have won. Cavaliers had a solid show, it was cohesive, and from what I saw, was pretty flawless. No bias here, it's just what I thought. But then to our surprise Phantom won.

I was (unfortunately) disappointed by Cavies this season. IMO, I think it lacked a lot of cohesiveness from a musical stand point. If you listened to the percussion book alone, you could tell that the "'samuri/asian" theme was present....if you watched the guard (based on costuming) the "samuri/asian" theme was present...if you listened to the brass book alone the "samuri/asian" theme was absent. Percussion and visual got the theme.....brass missed it.

So with basically 1/3 of the design not really matching up with the theme i see it kind of difficult to call it a cohesive show.

This is how I thought it should have played out.

1. Phantom Regiment

2. Carolina Crown

3. Blue Devils

4. Cavaliers

5. Bluecoats

6. Santa Clara Vanguard

7. Crossmen

8. Spirit

9. Boston Crusaders

10. Blue Stars

11. Colts

12. Troopers

13. Blue Knights

14. Cadets

15. Madison Scouts

16. The Academy

17. Glassmen

18. Mandarins

19. Pacific Crest

20. Pioneer

I lol'd.

I didn't like Blue devils show this year or last. I did think BD was exciting like a WGI percussion show. BD's guard was very good. I thought BDs' show lacked content musically and visually. I wanted Phantom or Cavaliers at the time to win. That beeing said.

I thought The Blue Devils should have won. Based on the way the judges were scoring all year. And, They out performed the top three. I think finals night was one of BD's best shows all year.

I was happy Phantom won. I thought Friday night was much better than saturday night.

Its funny...when phantom won that night, everyone was pretty happy for them. Now all the #####ing starts. I know it happens every year, but it's always annoying...

That comes from the 8 people in the stands who were yelling "Bull ####" when the rest of you were tossing your childrens' babies. Notice the placement of the apostrophe. You guys were tossing ALL of your children's children!

At the quarterfinals I thought Phantom's show was clearly superior.

At the semifinals I thought Phantom's show was clearly superior.

At finals I thought Phantom's show was clearly superior.

I guess we all get to have our opinions. And I did mine without calling out and trashing on other corps. Yay.

Once again, father knows best! :thumbup:

I didnt see phantom at any point after allentown (or before for that matter). After seeing them on saturday night, I knew they were good, but the only reason i didnt think they had a real chance was because it hadnt happened before, not because they didnt deserve it.

Hey look, two opinions in a row with no trashing!!

Past shortcomings are not indicative of future history.

It's lonely at the top, ain't it?

Just cuz you speak from experience... :smile::smile:

I think the placings are good as they are. To me, both the BD and Cavvies shows were great, but neither of them really affected me as much as Phantom's show. BD was usually cleaner (I didn't get to see it that night), but it never seemed to have as much emotion or seem to grab the audience as much as Phantom's.

I will admit, I am a bit of a Phan, but I'm simply stating my opinion based on the shows that I saw of both corps (Atlanta, Allentown, and various small shows).

Hence the term, "General Effect." If GE rules, then 0.025 was a gift. Just IMHO, of course.

Eh, it didn't make me mad or make me cry. I definitely enjoyed it, but good lord you would think that it was the greatest show ever put on a football from all the nut hugging on this forum.

I didn't see any footballs--did they execute a pigskin and not get GE points for it??? Where was the football?

Bet...within 3 years we see a re-make of Spartacus in theaters. 6-pack of Shiner Bock or Dublin Dr Pepper's, depending on age of takers.

You give a certain symphony a bad name.