The top 4 in 2008 finals

En929

On performance alone, that's how I would have it. I think Phantom moved up because of their show, while Cadets were held back a little by their show (not because they used narration, per se, but because it detracted rather than added to what the rest of the corps was doing), and probably deservedly so on both accounts.

Would have to agree with Matt on this point.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My picks...

Phantom- Clearly one of the best shows all time!

Cavies- Once they turned up the volume I liked the show.

Crown- Just an outstanding show.

BD- Didn't perform well during championship week, spreads where indicative of starting position. Brass win was a gift for a good year and a second place finish.

I guess as a drum corp. from what I saw, Phantom regiment seemed to have been solid musically and everything was really together through their entire difficult show (and I guess that's the reason that they won), but still Cavaliers and the Blue Devils were too, and the visual package of the Cavaliers were unmatched.

I can understand the PR – BD debate for 1st and 2nd because it could have gone either way. I personally thought PR had the winning show, but contrary to the judges’ scoring, I also thought they had the winning show all three nights. To the extent BD beat PR the two previous evenings and because I didn’t see much of a difference between the two (great) performances on finals night from those shows, I can see how it maybe should have gone BD’s way.

However, I do not understand the perspective that Cavies should have placed 1st… aside from a great pit and another interesting visual show, the show wasn’t Championship caliber, IMO. I believe there is a stronger argument they should have finished 4th behind Crown. I know the topic has been beat to death on DCP, but Cavies brass needs to play more than half of the show in order to present a complete package. (With that said, this was the most enjoyable Cavies show for me in years… it just wasn’t a 1st place show.)

I was fine with all of the other placements (other than I still contend Crossmen should have been the 12th place corps.)

Phantom's show this past year is like one of those "epic" shows. Or at least that is how I'm seeing it. Its a great show with a authentic storyline behind it. They didn't have to make up the plot. They have something that was already made and they based a show off of it. (Yeah I guess Cadets have done something like that in the past couple years but that has to do with "real life" story lines.)

Anyway, this epic show (not just cause it won but because it was well designed and well performed) WILL be put into the same category of shows like Phantom of the Opera, Faust, Scheherezade, Jesus Christ Superstar to name a few.

Does that mean a corps has to play a musical to have an "epic" show? No. I'm just saying that Spartacus was a special type of show that people will talk about a little bit more than say another championship year.

You can't really put Spartacus, Four Corners or even Stonehenge in the same category of show even though they were all championship shows.

am I wrong?......maybe but that is how I see it.

Phantom's show this past year is like one of those "epic" shows. Or at least that is how I'm seeing it. Its a great show with a authentic storyline behind it. They didn't have to make up the plot. They have something that was already made and they based a show off of it. (Yeah I guess Cadets have done something like that in the past couple years but that has to do with "real life" story lines.)

You can't really put Spartacus, Four Corners or even Stonehenge in the same category of show even though they were all championship shows.

am I wrong?......maybe but that is how I see it.

Phantom didn't do anything that hasn't been done before. Many other corps have done authentic storylines before. SCV has probably done this the best with many of their shows over the years.

I would agree, Spartacus doesn't even come close to the level or category of Four Corners or Stonehenge.

Phantom didn't do anything that hasn't been done before.

PR just did it better than just about anybody ever has. To say Spartacus "doesn't even come close to the level or category of Four Corners or Stonehenge" is, IMHO, pretty silly.

1. PR - hands down :thumbup:

2. BD - also hands down :thumbup:

3. Cadets - minus the chatter, 2nd :thumbup:

4. Crown :thumbup:

5. Cavies :thumbup:

6 - 12. The best 6 - 12 in years. :thumbup:

I'm reading this thread with great amusement. Please don't get me wrong, I'm not saying anything negative about any corps. Actually, I was very happy that Phantom won. BUT, I didn't love the show.

It was a total winning package. Now my challenge to you is this. Listen the the Crown finals audio and then right after, listen to the Phantom audio at finals. I thought musically Crown was superior.

Yeah Cavies had a solid show but it wasn't nearly as exciting as BD or even Phantom. Don't get me wrong, I liked the Cavies show but it wasn't the best.

And.....if you think that Phantom didn't deserve to win its either because you are

a) a BD fan, and obviously ######

b) a Cavie fan who maybe enjoys the visual aspect more than anything in DCI

c) a person without any emotions.

or

d) you just don't care for Phantom shows

Seriously Phantom sold that show and it was pure artistry out there with a great story line.

Condsidering I none of the above I would have to disagree.

I was wondering how many of you were at the drum corp. 2008 finals? I was there, and I was wondering after seeing the performance, who thought that the top 4 should have actually ran down as follows:

1. Cavaliers

2. Blue Devils

3. Phantom Regiment

4. Carolina Crown

As opposed to:

1. Phantom Regiment

2. Blue Devils

3. Cavaliers

4. Carolina Crown

Everybody that I was around was saying the same thing, that the top 4 should have been arranged like this.

they let winterguard fans have their own section at finals?